Stupid Operations Capable
Dec 27, 2009
Escondido
Name
Dave
Boat
OK Prowler Big Game
Gents,

Plain and simple my duck season so far has been crap. My usual stomping ground of Camp Pen just hasn't produced like it did last season (not a lot of ducks and apparently everyone decided to be a duck hunter this year) so I'm looking to new places to whack a few ducks, especially since I've only got a few more weekends to duck hunt AND since I'm deploying and will miss all of next season (do they have ducks in the 'stan?).

I know Wister and all that, blah blah blah. I didn't put in for Barrett because it's way too big for my kayak, and it's also a little $$$ since I don't have a waterfowlin' buddy to split it with. So on with the questions:

I've been poking around CNF for a while now just exploring and stuff, but not where I'm looking on Google Earth. I know all about "lake naming" and people giving up their spots and that's not what I'm looking for.

But, are there many ducks in the CNF? I know it's a big place so PM me and I'll tell you where I'm looking. I know they hunt Lake C up there, but last I checked it was $500 for a "membership." Seems like a few lakes around the big L that might hold a few ducks. Anyways, any help/info will be much appreciated.

As always, I have a ton of duck gear and I'm down to take other people with me to check out/ scout new spots.

Upvote 0

A-5_Guy

Dec 27, 2009
Escondido
Name
Dave
Boat
OK Prowler Big Game
Usually just weekends... I might could take leave on a weds if I had enough warning.

Also hopefully I didn't sound whiney in the first post, lol. Bloodydeckers have helped me plenty.

Upvote 0

sdbirds

Dec 14, 2010
Santee
Name
Johnny
ya get maps theres quite a few ponds spread out and a hike to get to but i have jumped limits before. also lots a other upland around

Upvote 0

TROB

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Oct 31, 2005
Idaho
Name
Tommy
Boat
Duck Schmuck - yak
is there a reason you dont want to hunt wister? Beggars can't be choosers dude....and ive heard theres a good amount of birds there already

Upvote 0

A-5_Guy

Dec 27, 2009
Escondido
Name
Dave
Boat
OK Prowler Big Game
is there a reason you dont want to hunt wister? Beggars can't be choosers dude....and ive heard theres a good amount of birds there already

No begging here, just wondering if there's a huntable population in the CNF. I got a bad vibe when I hunted Wister, clique-ish if you will. Just not how I grew up hunting in W. TN and E. AR, but I guess that's the way it is???

Also, as a pilot my schedule is highly variable. So I can't really put in for draws, bc it'd pretty much be a waste of money. I need something I can hunt on my days off, not just Wed, Sat and Sunday. Anyways, looks like you're doing well up in Idaho. Thanks...

Upvote 0

TROB

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Oct 31, 2005
Idaho
Name
Tommy
Boat
Duck Schmuck - yak
No begging here, just wondering if there's a huntable population in the CNF. I got a bad vibe when I hunted Wister, clique-ish if you will. Just not how I grew up hunting in W. TN and E. AR, but I guess that's the way it is???

Also, as a pilot my schedule is highly variable. So I can't really put in for draws, bc it'd pretty much be a waste of money. I need something I can hunt on my days off, not just Wed, Sat and Sunday. Anyways, looks like you're doing well up in Idaho. Thanks...

Yea, i know what you mean about the negatives of wister. But, that being said, you can still decoy birds, call, set decoys, etc, and still shoot limits of widgeon, pins, teal, gads, redheads, mallards......The simple fact of the matter is that there arent many places to hunt public land down there in a traditional duck-hunting sense because there isn't much water on public land (except the river, but thats hit or miss). you might walk up on some ponds or walk down some creeks to jump up a few birds, but i would rather hunt wister than spend my time jump shooting.

Wister isn't great, but at least its available. I was happy to have it when i lived down there. I moved out of the state primarily for duck hunting, but if i still lived in SoCal, I would be at wister every chance i got.

Upvote 0

wanapasaki

Almost A Member
Jun 18, 2009
Tehachapi, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
Boatless
Dont worry season is just starting. Canadad hasnt been cold enough to push big migrations yet. Should be seeing the start of it this week

Upvote 0