Duck Hunting Super Fun / Duck Eating Super Gross:

Chompot

Mar 27, 2010
Colorado
Name
Nick
Boat
Float Tube
after doing my late season archery elk hunt in AZ i admit i have ZERO skill.... that hunt was fucking rough and i do not want to do it again. I am going to kill extra ducks this season to ease my pain.

BUT.... How long have you been hunting ducks.. and how long have you been archery hunting elk?

Can duck hunting be "easy" at times.... YES...... Can big game hunting be "easy" at times.... Hell yes.

Nate.... I am thinking the duck hunting you must know is from television. Just like big game hunting on TV... many of that crap is nothing like the real thing. Just like social media portrays many times the happy moments and really skews reality. I first of all don't post pics too much of hunting... but people many times do not post the pics when they weren't successful... No one is going to get their ego stroked from an empty tail gate (and we all know hunting forums are all about ego stroking).

I hunt ducks a lot during season, but I also hunt with a bow and rifle for deer or anything else. I love them all. One of the places I hunt deer is also a place I love to hunt ducks and hopefully one day I can draw an elk tag there. Oh yeah they have chukar too!

I guess my point after all of this..... to freelance anything takes a shit ton of work and a lot of time and money. The more you do it the better you get. Networking is what these forums are all about. Nate, if you want to kill ducks you easily could get out with someone from this forum and have a great time.... It definitely is not the easy all the time..... it especially is not that easy getting to that point.

Here is one of the things I like about duck hunting and a scenario that might make sense to the big gamers (which I am certain times of the year)

You show up to a canyon before season and it is loaded with good bucks, scout those deer and make a game plan, come back opening weekend and they are gone.... You then find them 2 canyons over and you are back on them...

Here is the difference that I like with ducks..... You show up to a pond loaded with Wigeon.... You get to that pond opening weekend and your wigeon hunt just changed because new mallards show up.... or maybe it is pintail.... or wait maybe it is gadwall.... or teal....

These are both different scenarios, but both very exciting to me. Neither you can get to without hardwork.... being proficient hunting birds or big game both takes tons of hard work.... OR really good connections...

Damn I type too much....

Upvote 0

BiggestT

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Happy to see the hunter egos are as big as the fishermen's. Only difference is duck hunters brag over quantity and fisherman over size. Oh and the fish taste great, while duck hunters convince themselves that choking down a load is good for the complexion.

Upvote 0

MJB

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    sold it!!
    So 6-15% success rate for duck hunters?

I've never seen a duck hunter without at least one duck

Upvote 0

aeon

ugh....
    Apr 11, 2006
    foothill ranch
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    /600hp ls3 powered Airboat
    BUT.... How long have you been hunting ducks.. and how long have you been archery hunting elk?
    Shot my first duck at age 8 pacific coast of baja about 15miles north of SQ in 1978
    Started bow hunting in 1990 took my first bull elk unguided in 1998. I didn't always suck, just sucked this year.
    fuck i am getting old.
    whats my experience level have to do with licking duck ass?
    freelance is to much work i like to have the guided experience. Breakfast made for me in the morning, heated blinds with food service. pen raised ducks so when its slow i can shoot them. That is why Sluesters club the LCRA works so good for me. all the fun of hunting with the comforts of home.

Upvote 0

Sluester

I kill stuff
    Jul 22, 2003
    Lakeside
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Killin time, Bill Collector
    LOL Some of you are taking this shit way to serious. A lot about of us know each other and give each other grief. Apparently some don't know that.
    Freelance my ass Aeon. Mexico ducks don't count. Im gojng to build a huge blind on your roost pond!

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    LOL Some of you are taking this shit way to serious. A lot about of us know each other and give each other grief. Apparently some don't know that.
    Freelance my ass Aeon. Mexico ducks don't count. Im gojng to build a huge blind on your roost pond!

I already started a snowbird camp/ retirement community there. I need a fill in docent for the eco tours on the pontoon boat though. You interested?
    Vermy has the nature walk gig locked down :D

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    None
    Funny stuff. Who made the taste like ass comment anyway....

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
    Oct 20, 2008
    San Marcos
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    Sportboat
    For the record El Toro......I know you are a good archery hunter. Just having a little fun. Some guys like bird hunting. Stefan chases one of the hardest birds to kill. Myself......I like eating deer, shooting wigeon, and my yellows on the :jig:

Reactions: widgeon
    Upvote 0

clintonstick

Mar 18, 2014
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    g3
    OK - I recently - last 3 years - have gotten the Duck Hunting bug - as my brother joined one of those high-brow clubs in Prado Basin.

The experience of finding a favorite gun or two, hunting with my brother early am or afternoon, calling birds, shooting birds, dog assassins - I really dig all that.

But the honest truth is ducks taste like shit - tried a zillion different duck poppers, duck breast, duck legs - wrapped in every pork product imaginable, etc. Fried duck, grilled duck. Eating what is supposed to be the best ducks that fly - no shit birds - but all these supposed "good tasting" duck - are not simply not good...

What duck recipe will make me more excited to clean these birds?
    Dogs have to eat,I feed them to my dogs,or give them away to my workers,but geese are very edible.

Reactions: Blackfish
    Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
    San Pedro, Ca.
    www.yayacalls.com
    Name
    Stefan
    Boat
    Grady White 263 Chase
    Hey Stefan, just curious... You obviously have the instincts, know your stuff and appreciate the challenge aspect of a hunt. I'd think you'd be one that would really enjoy big game hunting, especially bowhunting. Ever tried it? If no, why not?
    Nate I have nothing but respect and envy of big game hunters especially archery. There is a very close similarity of archery hunters, guys who can call in a turkey, those who know how to work a ridge for chukar and those who are stupid enough to hunt snow geese. I had to make a choice between birds and big game. I have never been big game hunting and probably never will. Snow goose hunting in my case is a year round hobby. From painting the decoys every year to tweaking the gear it never ends. As I enter the last phase of my hunting career I'm at a point where fooling a lil white goose to come in close enough to see him blink is what I love, don't really care if I shoot them or not. This thread has been awesome

Upvote 0

rvrrat

Sep 4, 2008
    Anaheim Hills, CA
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    NA
    For years I had overcooked duck any way I could and gave up and started perfecting duck and goose jerky. A buddy showed me a YouTube clip "How to cook duck breast", 2:38 long, and it's now the only way I cook duck. Simple and delicious. Takes a little more prep to pluck, filet out the breasts, pull pin feathers and singe off any left over down, but totally worth it. It's my go to for mallards, pintail, widgeon, etc. I've surprised many non-hunters on how tasty wild game can be. Just double checked the name of the video and saw that Gordon Ramsey has a similar video, 2:10 minutes long. Convert 200 Celsius to 400F and I'll leave the breasts in the oven for approx. 7 minutes for medium.

No guarantees for spoonies or divers!

Upvote 0

Bendo28

Jan 29, 2009
    Rancho Santa Margarita/CA/USA
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    NA
    For years I had overcooked duck any way I could and gave up and started perfecting duck and goose jerky. A buddy showed me a YouTube clip "How to cook duck breast", 2:38 long, and it's now the only way I cook duck. Simple and delicious. Takes a little more prep to pluck, filet out the breasts, pull pin feathers and singe off any left over down, but totally worth it. It's my go to for mallards, pintail, widgeon, etc. I've surprised many non-hunters on how tasty wild game can be. Just double checked the name of the video and saw that Gordon Ramsey has a similar video, 2:10 minutes long. Convert 200 Celsius to 400F and I'll leave the breasts in the oven for approx. 7 minutes for medium.

No guarantees for spoonies or divers!

Can you post a link?

Upvote 0

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
    Point Loma
    Name
    Nate
    Boat
    Artemis
    Nate I have nothing but respect and envy of big game hunters especially archery. There is a very close similarity of archery hunters, guys who can call in a turkey, those who know how to work a ridge for chukar and those who are stupid enough to hunt snow geese. I had to make a choice between birds and big game. I have never been big game hunting and probably never will. Snow goose hunting in my case is a year round hobby. From painting the decoys every year to tweaking the gear it never ends. As I enter the last phase of my hunting career I'm at a point where fooling a lil white goose to come in close enough to see him blink is what I love, don't really care if I shoot them or not. This thread has been awesome

I get that. Big game hunting is a year round commitment for me too. I've been duck and goose hunting a number of times, and (don't tell anyone) I've had fun, but like you, I also had to choose. There is only so much time in the year, and with kids now, there is even less. To me, there is nothing like fooling a critter who is capable of complex thought at close range, in their element and out of yours. Nothing like having to be more fit than the most athletic of creatures in order to match wits. I guess that is just it. I love matching wits and beating a critter at their own game. Which is exactly what you are saying and why you love what you do. I totally respect that, but personally have just never felt much of that while bird hunting. But I don't think I've ever done it "your way." Standing in a sweat line at Wister or San Jac, or even sitting at some local club for a few turd slurpers to fly by just doesnt do it for me. I have hunted potholes in Colorado where mallards swarmed us so tight you could have limited with a tennis racket and that was epic. But even that compared to sneaking up on a mule deer so close that you can hear him munching on brouse, or an elk bugling in your face so close that you can smell his breath, no contest for me. There's nothing better! But to each their own.

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
    San Pedro, Ca.
    www.yayacalls.com
    Name
    Stefan
    Boat
    Grady White 263 Chase
    Yeh Nate I stopped hunting
    refuges a few years ago, I hunt snows in Sask for a few weeks and the rest of the time is spent in the Sac Valley where I continue chasing snow geese. For me its just the challenge of fooling a snow goose. I'm at my lease right now and probably saw 200k geese todat and shot three. I got them the way I like, landing in the spread at 10 yds. Any sane person does not chase snow geese

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
    Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    Well, back in the day,,, before it's all bunny humper illegal you all should have tried trapping. Talk about a chess match with the smartest critters~~~

Upvote 0

Turkey Slayer

Apr 20, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Randy
    Boat
    Waiting for my boat to come in
    I have the ultimate recipe for cooking duck! It is awesome, comes out perfect every time....and it is so good, you will eat way too much! Here is how it works: We shoot the ducks down in the Salton Sea area, and get them cleaned and ICED ASAP! I stress the ice part!! Then ....we have them packed in the coolers...in ICE, then head back to San Diego. When we get back to his house, we unload everything, then tend to the chilled breasts. We put them in a large dish, and add milk..just enough to cover the breasts about half way. Then...place the chilled breasts (remember...keep them iced on the way home!), in the refrigerator overnight.
    Then, I get my phone, call Outback restaurant (which is on my way home) and order the large prime rib, medium rare, with baked potato and al the fixings. I pick up the dinner on the way home, and soon I'm in my living room, still in my camo, enjoying the best tasting "duck" you ever had!! THAT, my friend, is how you cook duck!!

ducks.jpg

Reactions: Blackfish
    Upvote 0

garlicsalt

Jul 18, 2014
    pitted.
    Name
    jed
    Boat
    ''the twisted ducker''
    that video is relevent, domestic or wild duck. the bottom line is cook it hot and quick. and don't over cook it. LEAVE IT PINK IN THE MIDDLE! do not be afraid guys you can eat it raw if you like. goggle duck tartare.

Upvote 0

Enfuego

Your favorite Realtor
    Jun 3, 2004
    Rancho San Diego
    www.CalRealtySD.com
    Name
    Yusef
    Boat
    None
    I can tell you I'm on my second year bow hunting with zero to show for it. Been out prob 15 times. Never happens duck hunting. Missed a monster opening day and have been kicking myself since. Bow hunting takes skill, patience and commitment. It is addicting and can be very frustrating.

Upvote 0