Duck Hunting Super Fun / Duck Eating Super Gross:

9Fish

Jun 4, 2012
Brentwood/Ca/USA
Name
Dan Yourish
Boat
do not own a boat YET
I havent tried this recipe but I met a gentleman this weekend and he said in his 42yrs of hunting duck this is by far the best recipe

place duck breasts in a crock pot (did not say how many)
put 2 cans french onion soup
1 can or jar beef gravy
1 can of beef broth
cook for 12hrs on low in the crock pot

I to think its very hard to cook ducks and have found only a few good recipes but i will diffenately be giving this one a try

Upvote 0

el Toro

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
with the exception of sluester i kill more ducks that anyone on here.... even i say they taste like ass.

fuck respect, if i had respect Nate i would feel bad about all the whores, drugs and my illegitimate kids in Mexico i ignore.

that said i did eat a few this weekend. looks like i know how to toss the salad :)
this

cooked up like this
Freaking cracked me up! Funny.

Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Now Nate I've had deer and lope that taste worst than any duck I have ever eaten, I've had some great Elk and pig.

Anytime someone wants to see what hard work is try hunting geese, especially snows

Only duck I've eaten was jerky that Robert gave me and it was good.

Had wild pig and it sucked. I'm told if you want good wild pig, shoot
a sow under 100 lbs. There's a reason they cut the balls off pigs and cows destined for market.

Had deer (mule) and it's skanky bad. No worries about myself competing for tags. Have at 'em.

Had elk and it's fhe best. To die for.

Have yet to have Moose, but I've heard it's good, even better than elk.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
this

cooked up like this

But still tasted like this

images

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
www.yayacalls.com
Name
Stefan
Boat
Grady White 263 Chase
Not really sure if I shoot as many geese a year as Bill does ducks, on average I shoot 200-300 geese a year.

Most are shot in Canada and those are gifted because of logistics. The birds I shoot here in Cali are turned into sausage because it's easy and taste good. Plus I can fool a lot of people into eating wild game.

Now that I hunt northern California there's a processor up there who makes great wild salami I'm told, I'll give him a try.

I hunt snow geese for one reason, the challenge of fooling big adults, period. I could care less about ducks, been there done that

Upvote 0

BluefinCurly

Skipper
Aug 15, 2004
Soon to be the great State of Texas
Name
Carl
Boat
Vagabond, The Last Minute
Duck HAS to be eaten rare. I have brined, dry aged, eaten fresh, and no matter you still get some that are off regardless. Most likely dependent on their food source.
GWT are the most consistent flavor, with Pins, Widgeon, and Gads following.

My favorite way is simply seared breasts.

Temper the meat first by leaving covered on a plate at room temp so the center is not chilled.
Heat a cast iron skillet to medium (not too hot or it makes the muscle tighten up)
Add a couple of whole peeled garlic cloves and a sprig of thyme, a little EVOO.
Sear each side about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 min each side (depending on size).
Plate and let rest on the warmth of the stovetop for about 5 minutes.

I have also found that the right sauce compliments duck (not cover the flavor). Here is my fav:

1/2 bottle of cab
1/2 jar of raspberry preserves
1/2 can of chipotle peppers with adobo

Simmer 45 mins, strain to remove the seeds and peppers, return to the stove to simmer.

Add about 1/4 cup worchestershire sauce and 1/4 cup soy and some fresh ground black pepper.

Reduce until it coats the back of a spoon. It should end up more like a glaze or syrup than a sauce.

Slice the breasts on the bias and drizzle the glaze on.

I have had numerous people try this, including many that had never eaten duck, and they all have said it is delicious.

Upvote 0

garlicsalt

Jul 18, 2014
pitted.
Name
jed
Boat
''the twisted ducker''
DO NOT OVER FUCKING COOK IT. it has got to be pink OR YOU HAVE FUCKED IT UP!! FOR FUCK SAKE i say this over and over and over. now back to that ass.

Upvote 0

MJB

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    sold it!!
    Ducks taste like ass except the woodies & mallards I would shoot around corn fields back east.

Now testosterone can fuck up the meat of BG......wild boars only had a few that were good. Had a bull elk that after a year in the freezer was great, before that it sucked. Had many WT that tasted like shit during the rut but the corn field ones were very good no matter when you killed them.

And the best wild game has to be Bison. My dad drew an AZ bull tag in 1970......we ate off that boy for 2 years. Had a hard time eating beef after that!

Upvote 0

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
    Point Loma
    Name
    Nate
    Boat
    Artemis
    Not really sure if I shoot as many geese a year as Bill does ducks, on average I shoot 200-300 geese a year.

Most are shot in Canada and those are gifted because of logistics. The birds I shoot here in Cali are turned into sausage because it's easy and taste good. Plus I can fool a lot of people into eating wild game.

Now that I hunt northern California there's a processor up there who makes great wild salami I'm told, I'll give him a try.

I hunt snow geese for one reason, the challenge of fooling big adults, period. I could care less about ducks, been there done that

Hey Stefan, just curious... You obviously have the instincts, know your stuff and appreciate the challenge aspect of a hunt. I'd think you'd be one that would really enjoy big game hunting, especially bowhunting. Ever tried it? If no, why not?

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
    Oct 20, 2008
    San Marcos
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    Sportboat
    Hey Stefan, just curious... You obviously have the instincts, know your stuff and appreciate the challenge aspect of a hunt. I'd think you'd be one that would really enjoy big game hunting, especially bowhunting. Ever tried it? If no, why not?

Big game hunting is too easy. Any buttpirate can grab a bow and shoot something out of a tree.

Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
    Fullerton
    Name
    SM
    Boat
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Duck HAS to be eaten rare. I have brined, dry aged, eaten fresh, and no matter you still get some that are off regardless. Most likely dependent on their food source.
    GWT are the most consistent flavor, with Pins, Widgeon, and Gads following.

My favorite way is simply seared breasts.

Temper the meat first by leaving covered on a plate at room temp so the center is not chilled.
    Heat a cast iron skillet to medium (not too hot or it makes the muscle tighten up)
    Add a couple of whole peeled garlic cloves and a sprig of thyme, a little EVOO.
    Sear each side about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 min each side (depending on size).
    Plate and let rest on the warmth of the stovetop for about 5 minutes.

I have also found that the right sauce compliments duck (not cover the flavor). Here is my fav:

1/2 bottle of cab
    1/2 jar of raspberry preserves
    1/2 can of chipotle peppers with adobo

Simmer 45 mins, strain to remove the seeds and peppers, return to the stove to simmer.

Add about 1/4 cup worchestershire sauce and 1/4 cup soy and some fresh ground black pepper.

Reduce until it coats the back of a spoon. It should end up more like a glaze or syrup than a sauce.

Slice the breasts on the bias and drizzle the glaze on.

I have had numerous people try this, including many that had never eaten duck, and they all have said it is delicious.

I know that with chicken from the market, you cook til done. None of this rare stuff. Why would you risk cooking a wild bird just to rare? I wouldn't Touch that.

Upvote 0

Marcus

"Oddjob"
    May 21, 2004
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Marcus
    Boat
    Tuna Jihad toilet cleaner/Intrepid
    Brining is key. I brine my ducks in kosher salt and brown sugar for up to 5 days, changing the water every other day.

The birds are also a ton better if you don't just breast them. If you do breast them try cutting them so the skin and fat stays on. It keeps them from drying out and adds a ton of good flavor.

Here are my go to recipes:

Mexican salted duck

-plucked duck with skin on, back bone removed (break the wishbone so the duck lays flat)

wash bird in soy sauce

sprinkle:
    beau monde (or celery salt)
    kosher salt
    onion salt
    garlic salt

over the bird on both sides. When you think you have added enough salt add more. It should be absolutely coated in the salts.

Cook over a very hot barbeque until the skin starts to get a charred look.

Take a beer in a bottle (lager works) shake it up and spray the salt off of both sides of the bird. Be careful when doing this as you can get steam burns.

Cover barbeque and cook for a couple more minutes.

Remove from grill and let the ducks rest for at least 5 minutes. Cut the birds in half at this time and eat with your hands.....

Pan-Seared Duck Breasts with Bourbon Butter Sauce

(this is from Scott Leysath)
    Serves 4

8 duck breast fillets, skin on or off
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
    1 teaspoon brown sugar
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1/4 cup butter
    1/4 cup onion, minced
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves, minced
    1/4 cup bourbon
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    Dash of Tabasco

Combine kosher salt, pepper and sugar and rub over ducks. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and place ducks, breast side down, in skillet. Cook until browned, turn over. Add 2 tablespoons butter, onions, garlic and rosemary to the pan and continue cooking until duck breasts are medium-rare, about another 4 minutes. Remove duck from pan and keep warm.

In a small bowl, combine bourbon, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Remove pan from heat and add bourbon mixture. Return pan to medium-high heat and reduce liquid by one-half. Add a dash or two of Tabasco and stir in butter until melted. Remove pan from heat. Arrange ducks sliced breasts and spoon sauce over.

Reactions: Blackfish and JTH
    Upvote 0

Marcus

"Oddjob"
    May 21, 2004
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Marcus
    Boat
    Tuna Jihad toilet cleaner/Intrepid
    I know that with chicken from the market, you cook til done. None of this rare stuff. Why would you risk cooking a wild bird just to rare? I wouldn't Touch that.

You cook a chicken from the market to done because of the chance of salmonella and e coli being introduced from the processing plants.

Since wild game doesn't go to the processing plant you can cook rare. It's much more tasty rare. Well done and it becomes a hockey puck that tastes worse than liver.

Upvote 0

sdhunter

Jan 24, 2007
    Santee
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    1652 G3 SC Camo
    Medium rare chicken is AWESOME, but as stated above, not safe from commercially produced chicken.

Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
    Fullerton
    Name
    SM
    Boat
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    You cook a chicken from the market to done because of the chance of salmonella and e coli being introduced from the processing plants.

Since wild game doesn't go to the processing plant you can cook rare. It's much more tasty rare. Well done and it becomes a hockey puck that tastes worse than liver.

I would think that wild birds would have the same salmonella risk. It's all in how you deal with the poop shoot.

Upvote 0

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
    Point Loma
    Name
    Nate
    Boat
    Artemis
    Big game hunting is too easy. Any buttpirate can grab a bow and shoot something out of a tree.

Funny. With a tree stand hunt, the "hunting" takes place long before the actual sitting in the tree. The hunting is all in finding a good spot. From there it's just persistance. At least that is mostly the case here locally. Now go kill a mule deer or antelope spot and stalk, or call in a big bull elk. That takes some serious skill. Expecially if you can do it consistently. I wish I could say I could.

Upvote 0

aeon

ugh....
    Apr 11, 2006
    foothill ranch
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    /600hp ls3 powered Airboat
    after doing my late season archery elk hunt in AZ i admit i have ZERO skill.... that hunt was fucking rough and i do not want to do it again. I am going to kill extra ducks this season to ease my pain.

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
    Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    Butt Pirate

one who wears an eye patch and does the pie snatch of a guy's hatch

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Funny. With a tree stand hunt, the "hunting" takes place long before the actual sitting in the tree. The hunting is all in finding a good spot. From there it's just persistance. At least that is mostly the case here locally. Now go kill a mule deer or antelope spot and stalk, or call in a big bull elk. That takes some serious skill. Expecially if you can do it consistently. I wish I could say I could.
    Mammal shooting is lame....Real hunters spot and stalk spoony....
    images

Reactions: Blackfish
    Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    Just ate some more ass tonight....I should say, I tried some more ass, and the dogs finished it. I'm going to try Marcus recipe next...God help me.

Reactions: Aggro
    Upvote 0