Dry storage vs Wet slip

JFurst

Jul 9, 2020
Orange County
Name
Josh
Boat
Parker 1801
Alright, I have a 1801 in dry storage and I’m over it. I want to start renting a slip but have concerns and was hoping to get some input so I can weigh as many pros and cons possible before pulling the trigger.

1. I know I will have to get the bottom painted. For a 18 footer what should I expect to pay for this? Is bottom paint harmful to the boat? I have heard it hurts resale value.

2. I have an outboard. If it’s in a slip I can raise the engine out of the water and get a cover for it, but will having the boat constantly in salt water be harmful to the engine?

3. I’ll need a diver to clean the boat regularly - how often do you recommend having this done?

4. How often would you make sure to take the boat out of the slip onto land for maintenance, etc?

5. Assuming all measures are routinely taken to keep the boat clean and maintained while in the slip, is there any risk in doing this that will cause detriment to the boat or accelerate anything breaking down/losing function? What are the overall downfalls to having a slip vs dry storage?

Please chime in with any other things to consider that I didn’t address. If I’m going to do this I want to do it right and make sure it’s the right call! The benefits of a slip seem obvious but I need to know more about the downside. Thanks in advance and cheers.

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    For a larger boat a slip makes sense. 18' Bay boat? Not so much as you're still going to have to pick your days to go out.

Upvote 0

JFurst

Jul 9, 2020
    Orange County
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    Parker 1801
    For a larger boat a slip makes sense. 18' Bay boat? Not so much as you're still going to have to pick your days to go out.
    I gotta pick my days regardless, which there are a lot of in Southern California. It’ll obviously cost me more to store it in a slip each month, but I’m more trying to figure out if a slip will ruin my boat or how to prevent that from happening.

Upvote 0

Hismosa

• Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    I gotta pick my days regardless, which there are a lot of in Southern California. It’ll obviously cost me more to store it in a slip each month, but I’m more trying to figure out if a slip will ruin my boat or how to prevent that from happening.
    That was kind of my point. You're not really gaining anything and sounds like you already know it's going to cost you a lot more in costs/maintenance. Plus now you have to find storage for your trailer as well.

Reactions: pete j
    Upvote 0

Papa "J"

• May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    I have a 272 Sailfish and Ill never slip it again. Did it just for 1 season when Shelter Island ramp was being redone.

Reactions: aguachico
    Upvote 0

MikeC.

Jun 22, 2019
    Torrance, Ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    none
    yes, your boat will be wrecked sooner than later. The main benefeits of slipping a boat is... Spend a lot of extra money, wreck your boat fairly quick, but slow it down with a lot of 💰.

my neighbor didnt listen slipped his boat, only spent moderate money, and when he brought it home after 6 months, thought he bought a boat at a junk yard 🤣

I asked WTF did you do... he didnt think it was very funny

Upvote 0

JFurst

Jul 9, 2020
    Orange County
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    Parker 1801
    yes, your boat will be wrecked sooner than later. The main benefeits of slipping a boat is... Spend a lot of extra money, wreck your boat fairly quick, but slow it down with a lot of 💰.

my neighbor didnt listen slipped his boat, only spent moderate money, and when he brought it home after 6 months, thought he bought a boat at a junk yard 🤣

I asked

Upvote 0

JFurst

Jul 9, 2020
    Orange County
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    Parker 1801

I asked WTF did you do... he didnt think it was very funny
    This is my nightmare! I need to figure out what it would take to keep it healthy in a slip (or if that’s even possible)

Reactions: jeffkaiser
    Upvote 0

MikeC.

Jun 22, 2019
    Torrance, Ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    none
    This is my nightmare! I need to figure out what it would take to keep it healthy in a slip (or if that’s even possible)

he did supposedly have the bottom cleaned (not sure how often) and did not have bottom painted. He is getting it painted now because looks like he slipped it in acid

Upvote 0

clevel

Skipper
  • Jun 4, 2011
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Cabo Jack
    Boat
    Cobia 261
    It costed me $96/ft for my initial bottom paint on a new boat which consists of a epoxy barrier coat and 3 hull side and 2 hull bottom layers of anti-fouling paint. A professionally applied anti-fouling paint adds to the value for larger slipped boats.

Anything close to saltwater environment will have higher degree of salt corrosion effect. To what degree depends on the quality of your boat too. Make sure your engine exterior anodes and trim tab anodes if any are replaced as needed.

Bottom cleaning is once a month at $2.50/ft.

You will need to haul your boat out when you have to change out your gear oil and water pump for your outboard engine or when your anti-fouling paints needs refresh (1-3 yrs).

Reactions: JFurst
    Upvote 0

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Michael Mitchell
    Boat
    20 Bertram
    I looked into it too. The thing that made me choose dry storage was cost. If I slipped the boat I still need a home for the trailer.

Reactions: pete j
    Upvote 0

mahi

Jan 5, 2005
    laguna niguel
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    Henriques 28 Express
    Just know that keeping a boat in a slip does not mean it will be wrecked in 6 months. You do need to maintain the boat by keeping it washed, bright work polished, batteries charged, keep fuel tank full. You should use it more often, like harbor cruises, lobster hooping, Christmas boat parade, etc. Harbor life is fun and rewarding.

Upvote 0

mahi

Jan 5, 2005
    laguna niguel
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    Henriques 28 Express
    I have slipped in Dana Point and Newport Back bay. I never checked to see if Dana West allowed a slip renter to store an empty trailer inn the guest parking, but I never saw one. I was at Newport back bay and they have a large dirt lot next to the marina. Not sure of the cost, but that may work. Need to secure the trailer with a chain around the wheels and a tongue guard.

Upvote 0

jeffkaiser

Almost A Member
    Oct 14, 2005
    escondido, ca
    Name
    Drew Ann
    Boat
    Grady White Adventure 208
    Josh,
    I totally agree with Mahi. Harbor life is a blast! You will use the boat way more often. Sunset/cocktail harbor cruises between fishing trips are the ultimate in social distancing!!
    Yes, it costs a bit more but imho it's worth it. Especially if you can find cheap or free storage for you trailer. No, most marinas don't store trailers. Slip in Mission Bay is ~$350 per month. 5 minutes from the open ocean. I also gladly pay the approx $.80 per gallon extra at the fuel dock for the convenience. Pulling it out for maintenance is no big deal every 100 hours. I can also give it a little extra TLC when I have it at the house during maintenance cycles. Yes, there are extra concerns keeping it in the water but not that hard to stay on top of.
    I'm getting new bottom paint Monday for $900. Grady 208(20'). Won't need my diver ($40 per month) for 2 years.

No bigger waste of money than a boat in storage(or slipped) that doesn't get used!
    Just my $.02. Hope it helps!

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    It costed me $96/ft for my initial bottom paint on a new boat

Bottom cleaning is once a month at $2.50/ft.

Your mileage may vary. Mine does.

IME, there are two primary reasons to have a boat in a slip, even though total costs will be significantly increased:

1) You will use it more. Not just for fishing (though the hassle of trailering the boat, dealing with launch ramp crowds, launching, retrieving (crowds again), etc., were enough to deter plenty of my trips when I had a trailer boat, but also for just hanging with wife, family, friends, when not fishing. Your cost per hour may actually decrease.

2) OK, there is really only one reason -- convenience, which translates into you will use it more, as described above.

Upvote 0

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
    Brookings, Southern Oregon
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    21 Arima Ranger 'HogFish'
    If you can dry slip and have fast launch then its absolutely a no brainer. In the short and long term, leaving a small boat sitting in salt water is 10x more costly than putting it to bed on dry land when you are not using it.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    I also gladly pay the approx $.80 per gallon extra at the fuel dock for the convenience.

I cannot comment on the cost of gasoline, but diesel, at the right fuel dock (one that does a high volume of business to a primarily commercial clientele) , will be substantially less than at an on-road filling station, largely because you won't be paying the road tax. Last time I filled up, it was 2.17 per gallon (again, diesel).

Upvote 0

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
    long beach,ca
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    44 luhrs dreamer
    After having done just one of the two,I just bite the bullet now and have both.I put it in the water from end of April thru November.Slips are hard to come by and if I give it up I know I wont have it for the "season"I waited for 2 years to get the one I have now.Remember you pay for the overall length.Depending if you have a pulpit you might need a 24ft slip.When in the slip I have the diver every month and I paint the bottom every 2 years.I have it detailed when I put it back in the water also.I have a full cover on the boat when in storage so it stays very nice in the off season.When it in the water I have a cover for the instrument panel,Isen glass and the seat bait tank console. Tom

Upvote 0

Reefmo

Nov 28, 2016
    North OC
    Name
    Matt Skogmo
    Boat
    Trout Sniffer - heavily customized 18.5 tracker targa
    After having done just one of the two,I just bite the bullet now and have both.I put it in the water from end of April thru November.Slips are hard to come by and if I give it up I know I wont have it for the "season"I waited for 2 years to get the one I have now.Remember you pay for the overall length.Depending if you have a pulpit you might need a 24ft slip.When in the slip I have the diver every month and I paint the bottom every 2 years.I have it detailed when I put it back in the water also.I have a full cover on the boat when in storage so it stays very nice in the off season.When it in the water I have a cover for the instrument panel,Isen glass and the seat bait tank console. Tom
    Where did you have to wait 2 years? Dana Point? Somewhere else?

Upvote 0
    Jun 10, 2004
    Jamul
    Name
    used to fish
    Boat
    17 Aquasport
    I had less problems when I slipped it. I never really fished the winters so it sat there for about 8 months a year untouched and rotted. I put it in a slip to sell it as my last boat and fell in love with boats again. Used that 24' for 2 more years and then bought a 35 then a 50 !
    Now I'm back to a 17' that I am going to fine tune and put it in the slip again once I'm done working on it.

Upvote 0

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
    El Lago Tijuana
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    I have a 272 Sailfish and Ill never slip it again. Did it just for 1 season when Shelter Island ramp was being redone.

I agree with Jason^^^

I slipped my 22ft Grady for 7 months. Best day was getting it out of the slip and back on the trailer. As far as using it more, I can see that is you inshore fish a lot.

The costs and logistics are better on a trailer. Hauling the gear especially ICE was a PITA.
    Cleaning the boat while in a slip is easier, because there's less climbing.

Your neighbors are important. Before choosing the slip by location check out your neighbors. Stray currents, old sail boats and shady characters have access to your boat.

Fuel is crazy expensive.
    Monthly cleaning.
    Haul out every 100 hours depending.

It was cool being on the boat at the slip. That feeling wore out quick.

I would rather have an 18footer on a trailer for mobility.

After 7 months, my motor looks worse.... and the bird shit! god help you if a bull seal wants to sleep on your swim step.

Upvote 0

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
    Aug 23, 2004
    Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
    Name
    RICK
    Boat
    Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
    when i first bought my whaler it was in a slip at the kona kai @ $480 per month, i ordered a trailer, and planned on keeping the the boat slipped while the trailer was being built in a few months. i ended up keeping the boat slipped for almost 3 years. it was great to be able to just jump in the boat and take off, i put a lot of hours on my boat. the draw backs were expensive fuel , a couple mooching neighbors, bottom cleanings, carting everything to the boat, parking for friends, and deterioration. i'd slip it during the fishing season then haul out.

Upvote 0