KneppNasty

Snappin’ necks & cashin’ checks....
Sep 10, 2017
Seal Beach, CA
Name
Jeramy
Boat
Trophy 2509
Highly recommend that you go with a Lonestar Marine drum anchor winch!!

Truly cannot beat their robustness, reliability, and outstanding warranty/customer service....

Reactions: Billy L

Billy L

AK halibut charter captain
Jul 4, 2009
San Diego and AK
Name
Billy
Boat
25’, 22’ Whalers
Highly recommend that you go with a Lonestar Marine drum anchor winch!!

Truly cannot beat their robustness, reliability, and outstanding warranty/customer service....
I agree. They’re pretty pricey but they’re the best. Hope I can get a good used one at fair price. Thanks

samotlietuvis

Feb 2, 2019
Palmdale, CA
Name
Tomas
Boat
Sea Hunt Victory 207
In a market for one too. What’s interesting on Alibaba it is only $250 for one. And here it is $2000. One can buy car winch that is outdoor rated for low $100 - only difference is smaller drum and different gearing.

KneppNasty

Sep 10, 2017
Seal Beach, CA
Name
Jeramy
Boat
Trophy 2509
I agree. They’re pretty pricey but they’re the best. Hope I can get a good used one at fair price. Thanks

It took me over a year of searching daily on various classifieds and eBay etc. Eventually I scored a killer deal on a barely used LoneStar GX-2 locally from Craigslist. (Got it for $500 lol.)

After I picked it up I hit up I hit up Hammer Marine and they made me a custom sized wiring loom to fit my boat & configuration. Was cheaper than I could make one myself and had all legit fittings and epoxy filled heat shrinks.

Billy L

Jul 4, 2009
San Diego and AK
Name
Billy
Boat
25’, 22’ Whalers
Reactions: Tomictime

KneppNasty

Sep 10, 2017
Seal Beach, CA
Name
Jeramy
Boat
Trophy 2509
Yes. You stole it and looks great at your bow. That motor seems to look like the bigger type

Yah the GX-2 boasts a 1000W motor, which has been more than plenty sufficient for halibut fishing through tides in and around Cook Inlet.

I shopped eBay for a good deal on some dyneema rode for my GX-2 and was able to fit just under 600ft total on it.

Billy L

Jul 4, 2009
San Diego and AK
Name
Billy
Boat
25’, 22’ Whalers
Yah the GX-2 boasts a 1000W motor, which has been more than plenty sufficient for halibut fishing through tides in and around Cook Inlet.

I shopped eBay for a good deal on some dyneema rode for my GX-2 and was able to fit just under 600ft total on it.
I run charter out of Homer.
Is that 1/2” or 3/8” rope when you can fit 600’ of it?

Billy L

Jul 4, 2009
San Diego and AK
Name
Billy
Boat
25’, 22’ Whalers
That’s right. Your first photo is Homer harbor looking towards the launch. Small world. You store your boat in Homer? Looks like a hewescraft

KneppNasty

Sep 10, 2017
Seal Beach, CA
Name
Jeramy
Boat
Trophy 2509
For a little better abrasion resistance with all the tide rips and debris in the water passing by while on anchor in the inlet I ran 3/8” dyneema spliced to 5/16” dyneema for ultimate capacity. (5/16” has 12,300 lbs breaking strength, so plenty for my 18’ Hewescraft SeaRunner)

You’re exactly right about my pic facing the launch! Good eye mate

My family has a little fishing lodge in Ninilchik, so I’ve spent most of every summer of my life up there on the Kenai Peninsula. As my boat is located in the Nilly, I typically always fish out of deep creek. Occasionally I’ll take my boat down to Homer to mess around in the back bay or hit up the Main Street hole if weather is too sporty and they won’t let me launch at DC.

No doubt we know a ton of the same people.
Friends with Garrett Lambert and fish a lot on the Sundy.

Billy L

Jul 4, 2009
San Diego and AK
Name
Billy
Boat
25’, 22’ Whalers
In a market for one too. What’s interesting on Alibaba it is only $250 for one. And here it is $2000. One can buy car winch that is outdoor rated for low $100 - only difference is smaller drum and different gearing.
Just checked Alibaba.com. The size I want is 1600 watt. $800+shipping minimum order of 2. Much cheaper than Lonestar, Rebel or Hiniu on EBay.
I’ll buy 2 and sell one on here later.

Reactions: samotlietuvis

KneppNasty

Sep 10, 2017
Seal Beach, CA
Name
Jeramy
Boat
Trophy 2509
Yah that’s if you ever receive them! 😂
Have you ever ordered anything off Alibaba before?
I have - and one time my items never arrived at all, and another time they arrived broken.

I know there are people who have had good experiences with Alibaba though. 🤞🏼

Billy L

Jul 4, 2009
San Diego and AK
Name
Billy
Boat
25’, 22’ Whalers
I have - and one time my items never arrived at all, and another time they arrived broken.

Have not. True, shipping from China is worse than previous
Haven’t ordered from Alibaba.com

samotlietuvis

Feb 2, 2019
Palmdale, CA
Name
Tomas
Boat
Sea Hunt Victory 207
Just checked Alibaba.com. The size I want is 1600 watt. $800+shipping minimum order of 2. Much cheaper than Lonestar, Rebel or Hiniu on EBay.
I’ll buy 2 and sell one on here later.

On Alibaba I saw the manufacturer sell the same part 2-3 times cheaper (one manufacturer), and then 50 resellers on the same Alibaba sell 2-3 times more expensive. And yes, the manufacturer wants you to buy volume, and there will be no warranty, and no guarantees it is coming... but great business opportunity for a person willing to take risk, buy minimum 10, resell here, and provide one year warranty.

samotlietuvis

Feb 2, 2019
Palmdale, CA
Name
Tomas
Boat
Sea Hunt Victory 207

No I did not order nor plan to order from Alibaba.

There is a funny YouTube channel where a guy orders electric sports car from Alibaba for $50k or so, and receives a golf cart looking joke car.

There is eBay guy from China reselling Alibaba drum anchor at almost same price as made in USA, but no warranty...

KneppNasty

Sep 10, 2017
Seal Beach, CA
Name
Jeramy
Boat
Trophy 2509
During the year long period of time I was scouring multiple classifieds daily in an effort to find a drum anchor winch that I could afford, I came across this no-name Chinese made one and was reeeally close to pulling the trigger on purchasing it.

Back then (couple years ago) the price on their website was $600.00 for their drum anchor winch setup with shipping included.

Pretty glad I decided to hold out and eventually ended up scoring my LoneStar winch. I’m fairly certain this Chinese one would have burned up or broken down in some way, leaving me stranded and SOL with zero warranty. 😬

617AD634-BAF3-4ADB-B448-D6815C47526D.png