Dropping fish, whats up?

Discussion in 'Surf Fishing Reports' started by Catfish Charley, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Catfish Charley

Catfish Charley The Dude

Name:
    Justin
    Boat:
    Ill let you know when I get a boat...
    Went out to mission beach with my dad and bro for a little perch action this morning, of course my dad couldn't settle for dink perch so he brought along the big 9 foot boom rod and hurled it out past the break.
    Between my brother and I we got 3 or 4 small shovel nose and a handful of perch, most small but I happened to get one big enough to lip. Of course I forgot to take pictures again, I even brought my camera.
    Anyway to the point of this post, i've been missing a lot of hook sets lately and i'm wondering what iv'e changed in my setup to do it. I'm using 8# mono, 1/2 egg, and #6 oshannessy (whatever they are) mustad hooks. I was getting bit from every which way but had a hard time hooking up and they just kept stealing my bait. Does anybody have any comments about these hooks, They don't seem all that sharp and I was thinking there not sharpened to well from the factory and that could be it. Also I have my weight running on a pretty short length, could it be possible that they feel it before they have a chance to really eat the bait and get hooked? I guess a combination of those two is probably it but does anybody have comments, advice?

2. lowprofile

lowprofile Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    Sold it
    dink perch are hard to hook. there's alot of 4" models in the surf right now and they'll pick away a sand crab and never touch the point of the hook. #10 hook, 4lb leader and tiny sand crab will get them.

3. fishfearme86

fishfearme86 Democrat is a dirty word!

Name:
    Cory
    Boat:
    No boat here
    You know I had the same issue especially with sand crabs as bait. I finally spent the money on some #6 mosquito hooks and wow! There is a difference all the way from pinning your bait on to thw hook set. Ill never use anythingelse!

4. Catfish Charley

Catfish Charley The Dude

Name:
    Justin
    Boat:
    Thanks for the replies. ya i have used the mosquitos before and they did work pretty well. maybe that was it then, the different hook. Another thing that confused my though is that my friend, using the same hooks, hooked up with a lot more perch than I so that led me to thinking it was the difference in weight travel on the line.his wasn't tied off while mine was only on about 8 inches.

5. Smokehound

Smokehound Newbie

Name:
    I. C. Wiener
    Boat:
    what's a boat?
    It helps to know how perch attack sandcrabs.

Aside from softshells, They have no interest in the entire crab, they simply want the soft portions and the roe.

They crack it with their throat teeth, then suck all the meat out, then spit the shell back out. You have to set that hook at the first twitch you feel, the whole ordeal is very fast.

Learning how fish attack their prey makes a BIG difference in hookup rates.

No need for the tiny hooks... if anything you're losing fish because of the hooks being so small! Small hooks get spit out easier.

That's why I like to stick to Worm hooks for perch, with 3 inch grubs.

That way I can target Perch, Halis, corbina, yfc, etc, all at once.

If you've seen my reports on other forums, I catch even Black perch with 2/0 Wide gap hooks!

6. Catfish Charley

Catfish Charley The Dude

Name:
    Justin
    Boat:
    thats a good point smokehound, i have been pulling a bunch of empty shells lately, i just didn't want to set it to quick and rip it out of its mouth without giving it time to really take it.

7. stucktip

stucktip I've posted enough I should edit this section

OG Spring Valley, currently- North Park, San Diego
    Name:
    Gabe
    Boat:
    Whatever
    I use 8lb mono, #6 bait holder, 1/2oz sliding sinker, swivel and about 12"-18" leader. I hardly ever set the hook they just seem to set themselves. Sometimes too good. Slide whatever bait you are using all the way up the shank of the hook and you're good. This pic shows my setup and hook pretty good

IMG_2048.jpg

good luck

8. Smokehound

Smokehound Newbie

Name:
    I. C. Wiener
    Boat:
    what's a boat?
    Oh man you guys are missing out on nice perch.. size it up!!

9. tetsujin808

tetsujin808 Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    None
    Interesting to hear everyone uses different hook types. My favorite is the Gamakatsu Octopus.

10. fishheads

fishheads Newbie

Name:
    fish freek
    Boat:
    uss Ronald Regan
    if you want big perch go to mexico ...ill post next week w/pics!!

11. Snoman

Snoman Newbie

Name:
    s soto
    Boat:
    no boat
    Just wondering where u guys are fishing? Not asking for the honey holes just wanna know what beaches in general I've had some luk with halibut off corona del mar jetty but looking to get some perch

12. Catfish Charley

Catfish Charley The Dude

Name:
    Justin
    Boat:
    I go to north mission beach around Santa Clara Pt. and fish from like tower 18 up to 22 or so. Usually pretty consistent catching although most of them are small. Pull a few big ones out every once in a while. I just went today so ill post a little report.

Tried to pm but don't really know how, do you just click on the picture and post a visitor message?

13. Catfish Charley

Catfish Charley The Dude

Name:
    Justin
    Boat:
    Just looked at your location, I guess Im farther south.

14. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    My ? is this.....Why do you want to increase your hookup % of dink perch?

When I'm getting perch'd to death I move and try to find Corbina and other fish that are big enough to eat my bait and are fun to catch.
    If you want to increase your hookup % finding bigger fish is the most fun imo.

15. Catfish Charley

Catfish Charley The Dude

Name:
    Justin
    Boat:
    When I can use bigger bait to get bigger fish I do but for me Id rather catch more small fish than not being able to hook up with anything.

16. FishAnywhere

FishAnywhere Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback
    I like the #6 Tru-Turn panfish hooks with my perchcrack.

17. Jimmy310

Jimmy310 Newbie

Name:
    Jimmy
    Boat:
    16' Horizon
    nice fish

18. jscrib

jscrib Whale Cock

Name:
    j
    Boat:
    VS
    A trick that really helps with grubs, GULP! and also helps with crabs is to not swing on the first bite. Just keep reeling slowly or lift up your rod tip slowly and the fish will hook themselves. After you practice doing it, and it does take some practice and patience, you should increase your hook-up ratio.

Also, when you swing on every bite a lot of times you pull the bait out of the feeding zone. This technique once again can work really well when fishing grubs.

With that said, like Chris said, lots of small perch in the surf right now. That will change in the next few months. :hali_olutta:

J

19. Werfless

Werfless Hugh Mann

Name:
    Hugh Mann
    Boat:
    Plastic Chariot
    I tend to use a cheapie #4 baitholder on a palomar knot about 8 inches above a firepit nail for weight from a 14 foot fiberglass cane pole (or an even longer piece of cured golden bamboo). I catch HUGE perch all winter long, using small ghost shrimp for bait. I use shrimp that are only long enough for the hook to come out the size of the head, use bait too big, you just get robbed! I can catch rockfish, legal cabezon, perch, halfmoon and opaleye all within 30-40 minutes, incoming tide on the rocks, chum half your shrimp, whole or in pieces, and use the rest for bait, whole.. lots of big perch, black croakers and all kinds of other fish, you can take them easy that way, even caught a legal calico on my cane pole that way this spring...

20. Smokehound

Smokehound Newbie

Name:
    I. C. Wiener
    Boat:
    what's a boat?
    Takes me 1 and a half hours to get to the sand.

No games for me! I go straight to the 3-4 inch baits.

LC's are not necessary. More of a fashion-statement IMO.