goldfinger81

Almost A Member
Feb 18, 2020
Los Angeles
Name
Rob
Boat
None
Does anyone fish dropper loops or yo yo for yellowtail at Catalina, or is that not a thing? I've been on several day boats out to Cat this season and I've only ever seen YT caught on live bait or surface irons. I'm curious when you would actually fish deeper in the water column for yt locally. And if so, what would be the bait / jig of choice. Thanks!

Upvote 0

davidsk

Salty
Jun 11, 2014
Los Angeles
Name
David
Boat
myboat
Dropper loop, tipped with either squid or sardine, is a very productive technique everywhere when they are deep. it is a great way to present for yt and wsb. I prefer tall placement, spider hitch loop set 4+ft above weight. 40# mono top shot; no need to use fluorocarbon

Reactions: goldfinger81
Upvote 0

Gary Yanagihara

Reel Therapy
May 17, 2019
Huntington Beach
Name
Gary Yanagihara
Boat
Freedom, Thunderbird, Fortune
I was out at Catalina recently with a south swell that dirtied the water. Apparently the water deeper was clear enough to get bites as the only yt hooked were caught with sliding egg sinker rigs with sardines. I've used a salas 6x Jr. Type jig in the past successfully when the fish are deep or the bite is steady. Wind with a fast retrieve.

Upvote 0

goldfinger81

Almost A Member
Feb 18, 2020
Los Angeles
Name
Rob
Boat
None
I was out at Catalina recently with a south swell that dirtied the water. Apparently the water deeper was clear enough to get bites as the only yt hooked were caught with sliding egg sinker rigs with sardines. I've used a salas 6x Jr. Type jig in the past successfully when the fish are deep or the bite is steady. Wind with a fast retrieve.

Interesting. Do you know size egg sinkers would be used in that situation? 1/2 to 1 oz range?

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Donald W. Clarke III
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
With a little heavier slider I like to use a swivel and a fluoro leader. Good for casting out and working with the line at an angle. Less good for straight up and down--the leader can loop around the line above the sinker bouncing with the waves and it can tie itself into a half overhand loop knot. Dropper is better rig for that situation, also if you need more weight due to current or drift.

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

Upvote 0