caveman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 1, 2006
windsor,ca
Name
charles boyd
Boat
20 ft. jetcraft,ciocc
When I first started long range, I used a 3 way swivel setup. We got into some bigger yellowtail one day, and I lost two in a row. Taro grabbed my rod, showed me how to do it with a spider hitch, no more problems. Two things I've changed since: double San Diego to the hook, Palomar knot doesn’t hold as well if one of the two lines gets busted in the rocks, and I use a short piece of 20 pound line to attach the sinker with simple overhand knot to loop. You get stuck, one good tug, reel in, attach new sinker, right back at it. I use a Graphfighter 765 H and 60lb line. I'm going to try Jeff’s way this spring on my 8 day, it looks really clean. Always learning on this site.

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
I just read this post, and I like to use the dropper look for Yellowtail. I really like the way Jeff ties his, so if the sinker get caught on the bottom, it will break off using a lighter line to tie it on with.
A lot to be learned on BloodyDecks.

Reactions: Scott McPherson

cecritz

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 14, 2016
Central Coast
Name
Charlie
Boat
I wish
You should invest in Jeffs books his rigging book ( Knots& Rigs Long Range San Diego Style ) is full of invaluable information and illustrations of Rigging and Knots, his other books on long range fishing will prepare you for your trip or trips of a life time.
Thanks Jeff for the best info available for long range trips out there.

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
You should invest in Jeffs books his rigging book ( Knots& Rigs Long Range San Diego Style ) is full of invaluable information and illustrations of Rigging and Knots, his other books on long range fishing will prepare you for your trip or trips of a life time.
Thanks Jeff for the best info available for long range trips out there.
Thank you! It is always great to hear my books are helpful to others. That is why I created them.

- Jeff Burroughs

Oldtimer2

Jul 29, 2020
Iowa City Iowa
Name
Rob Malone
Boat
don't got no boat
Thank you! It is always great to hear my books are helpful to others. That is why I created them.

- Jeff Burroughs
Where can one buy them. I tried to search on line (warning: I am computer incompetent ) and the only one I could find was the one about "San Diego style"....not the knot book or the other ones. I , for one, would like to buy them all. I love LR and reading and have to follow the sport vicariously, so I think the books would be great. Thanks for the info.

TanstaaflSD

Dec 3, 2013
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
Tanstaafl
Boat
n/a
Where can one buy them. I tried to search on line (warning: I am computer incompetent ) and the only one I could find was the one about "San Diego style"....not the knot book or the other ones. I , for one, would like to buy them all. I love LR and reading and have to follow the sport vicariously, so I think the books would be great. Thanks for the info.
If you can't find them online, then look up Jeff Burroghs on this site and send him a PM. The books are GREAT!!! His attitude advice [how not to be 'that guy' ] is as valuable as the superb technical and instructive drawings.
Full Title of Book 1 >> Long Range Sport Fishing "San Diego Style": A Beginners Guide to an Exciting Time on the Ocean

Reactions: NorCal wanderer

stonefly

Apr 21, 2007
sacramento, ca.
Name
randy welsh
Boat
16' mirrocraft
Hi Craig, using sliders for bottom fishing is feasible if the current is slow and the bottom is not too rocky. For Yellowtail, you typically want your bait 6-10' off the bottom or it is likely you will get rocked!

For this application I use my own dropper loop variation (see attachment). Very easy to tie (Seaguar knot). 80-90% line strength. Always fighting the fish with the main line. Uses a piece of 40-50% lighter line for the weight (I use line from the trash can). I usually go with 80-100 lbs main line and 40-50 lbs weight line. No extra knots to tie.

Spread out along the rail. Lower your bait slowly. Add more weight until your line is straight up and down. Watch what others around you are using for weight amounts to avoid tangles. Hold on when you get bit!

- Jeff Burroughs
I do the basically the same thing 90% of the time fishing bait.

Any advantage over just throwing a surgeons knot in there for the sacrificial leg?

Kai

Catch the big ones!
Mar 16, 2004
Oxshit
www.youtube.com
Name
Fish Killer
Boat
none.
I have found on days with not a lot of current, I use an egg sinker, a bead and a swivel at the end to stop the egg sinker on the bottom as an alternative to torpedo dropper loop setup. Seems to work!

halibut.jpg

wsb.jpg