Drop Shot Blue fin/ Bralla Rig

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat Name
African Queen
I have an illness. I read Rubberhook's post in the "helmet" thread about bf showing up again out west. I quickly opened the Fisherman's Landing website and saw the Pegasus and PQ's bluefin numbers, and involuntarily pumped my fist in the air and seemingly channeling Jesse Pinkman, I pumped my fist in the air and shouted, "Yeah! BLUEFIN Bitch!!!" It certainly startled my coworkers briefly, but they are aware of my illness.

Upvote 0

cptn chronic

Sep 4, 2014
Name
sean eskilsen
Boat Name
not yet
Just wanted to say I used this set up this past weekend on the RP went 1 for 1 on it. A couple people informed me that I was doing it wrong. They said that I was supposed to rubber band my wait above the hook. After I landed my fish several came back to look at how I was tied up. I can say that there are now 2 more converts. Thanks for the solid tip. Love being able to burn the bait down to depth and not getting all twisted up. Feeling the bait working was another added bonus.

Upvote 0

BFTkid

Mar 18, 2012
California
Name
KY
Boat Name
Bent
Used the rig successfully on a recent 3 day. One thing to note, a few bf decided to eat the sinker instead of the bait. Upon retrieval after the very short hookups, baits were still on the hook and teeth marks on the sinker.

Upvote 0

malanx

Royal Star 200# Club
Sep 28, 2011
Mountain View
Name
Jonny
Boat Name
SD landings
Used the rig successfully on a recent 3 day. One thing to note, a few bf decided to eat the sinker instead of the bait. Upon retrieval after the very short hookups, baits were still on the hook and teeth marks on the sinker.
Newest version of the rig - 100# to the sinker and put an assist hook on it!

Thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat Name
    n/a
    Here are a few pictures to help clarify.
    Based on the reviews -- it seems the BEST / CLEANEST RIG may be mainline and sinker line both tied to hooks' ring.
    BUT be careful about the placement of the second knot on the ring to get a HOOK POINT UP / NOT DOWN.

Samples of different connections>>>

Mainline to hook (tie AWAY from hook-open-end

1669574777932.jpeg

Then mainline to hook's ring and sinker line to split-ring

1669574869315.jpeg

BEST / CLEANEST RIG may be mainline and sinker line both tied to hooks' ring. SEE BELOW >>
    BUT be careful about the placement of the second knot on the ring to get a HOOK POINT UP / NOT DOWN.

1669575540890.jpeg

1669575558329.jpeg

PLEASE keep sending in field reports. Love to hear what is working!!

Tight lines,

Reactions: jimikinz
    Upvote 0

Guyster

www.RingedHooks.com
  • Jul 10, 2005
    anaheim
    www.RingedHooks.com
    Name
    Guy
    Boat Name
    none
    Ok I want to preface this with a few admissions. I did not catch anything on this rig. The 3 day trip I was on caught little on bait one sinker rig fish 2-3 fly line. (Mostly jigs at night)

This is not my idea. I heard about it from various sources Island tackle, let’s talk hookup and Matt Bralla. I want zero credit. I just thought the idea was great. I really wanted to figure it out while on my trip.

I’ve caught a bunch of tuna using sinker rigs. I love fishing that way. That said it has its challenges like helicoptering the sardine as you’re dropping it down, sliding rubber band, not feeling your bait if it’s still alive etc. We have all experienced some frustration with them and some great success.

So the rig is essentially tying to a ringed circle hook as if you are fly lining a bait. Then you tie a 3-4 foot lighter line to that ring orienting the hook up so to pin the sardine or Mackerel under the chin out the nose. This keeps the bait upright. (Mack is easy sardine not so much.)The other end of that lighter line is to a torpedo sinker use a loop at that end for quick weight change if drift is an issue.

At the beginning of my trip I said if I’m fishing bait it’ll be with this rig. I got a few scoffs from folks but I was undeterred. I had heard of great success with it from the guys at Captains Concepts. (Much respect) btw it is a great resource those guys know their stuff.

I was using 2 different hooks on cigar like sardines. 3/0 ringed mutu circle and gamakatsu nautilus hd ringed 4/0.
    Multiple weights were used too
    8-16oz. Depending on drift.

It is hard as many know to pin a sardine under the chin through the nose. It can lead to a bit of bait damage shortening the baits effectiveness.

I really liked how I could bomb the bait down to a called out depth quickly. No twist or helicopter effect. I could feel the bait kicking around really well even down to 400ft I’d work the column back up. It was great. The problem I saw was a bunch of times the bait would be back up just hooked by the lower jaw. I figured out that the bait in trying to breathe was pulling the hook out of its nose when it opened its mouth.
    The solution I found was to grab the bait from the well only pinching its head. Push the point of the hook into its mouth and out and up through its nose. This resulted in little mangling of the bait that is much livelier longer.
    I bombed the same bait down multiple times to 400 feet and back up still having a very lively bait.
    I think this rigging will be very effective. I’m excited to get a chance to fish it again soon with biting bait ready fish. Just trying to figure this one out.

I hope this helps you guys.

Regards

Scott
    Excellent info. , I will try that on my long Trip. I will use a swiveled hook. I will connect the sinker line and the mainline to the top ring of the swivel so the bait is completely independent and has the greatest freedom of movement. Great data from all the other posters👍🎣

Upvote 0

Guyster

www.RingedHooks.com
  • Jul 10, 2005
    anaheim
    www.RingedHooks.com
    Name
    Guy
    Boat Name
    none
    Here are a few pictures to help clarify.
    Based on the reviews -- it seems the BEST / CLEANEST RIG may be mainline and sinker line both tied to hooks' ring.

Samples of different connections>>>

Mainline to hook (tie AWAY from hook-open-end

View attachment 1444308

Then mainline to hook's ring and sinker line to split-ring

View attachment 1444309

BEST / CLEANEST RIG may be mainline and sinker line both tied to hooks' ring. SEE BELOW >>

View attachment 1444310

View attachment 1444311

PLEASE keep sending in field reports. Love to hear what is working!!

Tight lines,
    Awesome pics

Upvote 0

MAG0121

Feb 28, 2015
    Encinitas, CA
    www.coastlaw.com
    Name
    Marco Gonzalez
    Boat Name
    Nah
    Since this thread has revived, I’ll update my prior post to report I continued to have success with this rig throughout the season, capping it off with a 208 on 80lb. Dropped back on the slide and left it deep and scoped out until all the flyline guys were in changing baits. I have a ton of confidence in the Bralla rig after this season.
    E6304E5F-7970-48C3-BB39-8DA2C7502E26.jpeg

Upvote 0