af dreamer

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
Growing up I have seen a few times where YT would actually would follow and harass blue sharks,ramming into them at times.I remember at the Coronados and the horseshoe.Never seen tuna.Great film.Tom

jayyyy

Oct 7, 2008
NorCal
Name
jay
Boat
'04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
Very cool.....they don't swim in front of whitey though, it's like there just messing with him.

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Growing up I have seen a few times where YT would actually would follow and harass blue sharks,ramming into them at times.I remember at the Coronados and the horseshoe.Never seen tuna.Great film.Tom
I've seen albacore do the same thing.

Fincutter

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Independence
Cool footage. For my next fishing toy, I've been thinking about getting one of those underwater cameras. Would be awesome to see wahoo attack my DTX.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shon

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
No wonder the sharks attack hooked tuna, they’re pissed off and hungry

Reactions: pounder224

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
THAT IS AWSOME!!!!! Thanks for pasting it.

Reactions: pounder224

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
Dec 20, 2008
San Clemente
Name
Brett Weinberg
Boat
Parker 2120SCDV
My take is that they are removing parasites. Have seen yellowtail do the same

I've seen yellow tail repeatedly head but and kill sharks - Ali has video of BFT hitting a Mako and likely killing it but I've never seen them using a shark's skin to remove parasites off their bodies. That would make sense based on the behavior.

$norkle

Well-Known "Member"
May 6, 2008
Corvallis,OR
Name
Bruce
Boat
In my dreams!
That behavior is termed "chafing"-----it's presumed that the fish are rubbing ectoparasites off by swimming forward on the shark's abrasive skin, although in truth I can't remember seeing much in the way of ectoparasites on tuna. I've seen YT do it on a blue shark near San Pablo; there the YT would fairly vigorously rub along the side of the shark and then peel off just about at the pectoral fins.

Al B.Fishing

Aug 17, 2012
hb ca usa
Name
gary
Boat
n/a
Agree with the chafing as they take advantage of sharks skin and they follow behind at the sharks pace as they know of the danger. Have seen big yellows ram the stomachs of Blue Sharks off of Rocky Point back in the day to make them throw up stomach contents and if you had a dead squid ready its bendo. Swim pattern of Albacore seems be a stretch to do this ?

Zboy

Bendooo
Aug 17, 2016
Dana point
Name
Zach
Boat
legend
Maybe they’ve seen this guy end the fate of many tuna fighting for their lives on the line!? In open water it may be the tuna’s turn for some harassment lol. Really like the parasite theory though makes sense!