Mr. Jones

Almost A Member
May 9, 2020
Orange County
Name
Ronnie Jones
Boat
Seaswirl 2901
I did and gave about a 2min effort. but I couldnt find a ton of good info...other than it works for finding whales.

If my boat had an 80" TV that the drone connected to that could work. Otherwise, the screen of a phone is pretty small. I don't know if my eyes (even with lasik) could see Paddy's on there.

Upvote 0

Phat Boat

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
To short of battery life. 30 minutes is not enough time and landing on a moving boat is not super easy. The topic has been talked about here a few times.

Upvote 0

Mr. Jones

Almost A Member
May 9, 2020
Orange County
Name
Ronnie Jones
Boat
Seaswirl 2901
To short of battery life. 30 minutes is not enough time and landing on a moving boat is not super easy. The topic has been talked about here a few times.

Yeah good point. Even with multiple batteries it's still a major hassle. You can land DJI relatively easily by having someone grab the skids. I just can't imagine trying to look for paddies through on my phone's screen...maybe if it was hooked to an iPad.

Ive taken plenty of photos of my boat from a drone, but Paddy spotting could be hard. I'll give it a shot and report.

Upvote 0

THE GRAYS

Oct 20, 2006
Redlands
Name
The Grays
Boat
2021 Parker 2320
We have tried two types of drones. Really not great for paddy hopping but you can get awesome footage of your boat. Kind of a hassle to lauch, small screen, agree with comments above. DJI works great, it is what we use in our videos.

Upvote 0

Phat Boat

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
If I'm coming out of a stop and want to get a quick look around before starting up again It could be a help for sure. Scan around the general area, often kelps are near each other and a quick fly around might be productive.

The other thought I has was a tethered drone where the picture could be put onto the Multifunctional display and the charge kept constant. It would be maybe 25-50 feet above the boat and tethered. Big camera lens, fish eye maybe. Thoughts?

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    If I'm coming out of a stop and want to get a quick look around before starting up again It could be a help for sure. Scan around the general area, often kelps are near each other and a quick fly around might be productive.

The other thought I has was a tethered drone where the picture could be put onto the Multifunctional display and the charge kept constant. It would be maybe 25-50 feet above the boat and tethered. Big camera lens, fish eye maybe. Thoughts?

That seems like a lot of work for what still seems to be relatively low ROI. I'm thinking wind, swell and current wouldn't necessarily be a good combination for a machine roped to your boat. If you're going to tether a drone, that sort of defeats the purpose, no? Otherwise, stick a Go Pro on a balloon and float it up.

I'd rather just try to get a couple feet higher on the boat and scan with old fashioned eyes or binoculars. At some point, we all just have to try to fish don't we?

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    Jet Pack is first, then flying cars.

I've been waiting for the gosh darned flying cars for decades now.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes

I have an 8MP PTZ camera at the top of my tower (so, 40' above sea level), displaying through a 23" MFD and/or a 50" TV. Either way, using that to find paddies would be of very little value, even though it sounds good in theory. Basically, the human in the tower with binos is going to spot paddies at a much greater distance.

Reactions: slydawg
    Upvote 0

RyanErb

Love to fish!
  • Aug 7, 2012
    All over the 805
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    OnTheWater
    I have an 8MP PTZ camera at the top of my tower (so, 40' above sea level), displaying through a 23" MFD and/or a 50" TV. Either way, using that to find paddies would be of very little value, even though it sounds good in theory. Basically, the human in the tower with binos is going to spot paddies at a much greater distance.
    I thought this was surely the answer we were all looking for. I guess as fancy as technology is, it's hard to still beat the best creation masterpiece of them all, the human! LOL

Reactions: Birdman34
    Upvote 0

Latest posts