Drifiting For Halibut SF Bay Question

Discussion in 'Northern California Fishing Reports' started by Eastcapedon, May 26, 2017.

1. Eastcapedon

Eastcapedon Member

Name:
    Donald
    Boat:
    Independence
    I heading out Sunday on the Lovely Martha out of SF, going to give halibut fishing a try for the first time. I have a lot of long range gear. Any recommendations for length/weight rod and size reel/line I should take? Thanks. Don

2. stangclassic66

stangclassic66 USCG Master

Name:
    Capt. Erik
    Boat:
    25' Parker
    270 class rod should suffice with pretty much any reel with 15-25lb test. I'd even bring a 197 class rod to make it a lil more interesting but that's just me.

I think it's more important to tie the right leaders and bring various weights depending on wind and drift. Easy fishing just hope the capt is on em

3. Freedom Roc

Freedom Roc Newbie

Name:
    Mike Dobson
    Boat:
    2320 Parker
    5/6ft long leader with 20lb flora carbon, #1 live bait hook and a #8 treble stinger hook and 4/5/6/8 oz weights will whack em...good luck!!!

4. jgy

jgy Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Looking for a World Cat 320EC (hit me up if you have one for sale)
    How'd the fishing go? I usually use a bass fishing rod with 15lb line. from there, I have a Carolina rigged live bait hook on a 2.5' leader. Match the hook to the bait size. We caught a 27" hali on Monday and a 22" striper. Lots of shakers as well.

5. Eastcapedon

Eastcapedon Member

Name:
    Donald
    Boat:
    Independence
    It was a learning experience and we caught some fish. I ended up going with my 7 foot Fenwick Pacific Stick rated 15-40# paired with a Penn Jigmaster 500L 25# mono and that was perfectly fine. The boat rods were 8 foot Shakespeare rated 15-30# paired with various 3/0 sized reels 25# mono. Turns out that they have live anchovies! Leaders were attached by a 3-way swivel to a 2 ounce weight and a 2/0 or 3/0 octopus hook. Leader material looked like Yo-Zuri pink flouro. Like Erik said, easy fishing. Very family friendly. Several kids on the trip and the crew does a nice job with them. We fished Berkeley Flats and an area right off Treasure Island. A couple other spots that I didn't get the names of. We fished in water that was a shallow as 8 feet to 25 feet. I only got a couple of shorts and the boat ended up with 9 halibut and 3 stripers for 18 anglers. Not an epic score, but I the tides have a lot to do with the action. The prime time is 2 hours before and after the low/high tide. Captain Mike and deckhands Dave and Will are really nice. The OG Captain Frank was also on the trip. Left at 6AM and was back at the dock at 12:30 PM. I am definitely going to give it another try next month. Don

6. eroland7

eroland7 Newbie

Name:
    eric roland
    Boat:
    robalo 180cc
    no live bait = no bueno... There should be plenty available by now.

7. jgy

jgy Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Looking for a World Cat 320EC (hit me up if you have one for sale)
    Only a 6hr trip? That's pretty short. The party boats usually leave at 6 and get you back around 2. Live bait drifting is great but if the bite is tough, I find trolling popsicles to be more productive.

8. Eastcapedon

Eastcapedon Member

Name:
    Donald
    Boat:
    Independence
    1/2 day trip as advertised. I was all ready to troll frozen dead, but then they started loading live ones. I think I'm going again Monday.

9. Crab Pot

Crab Pot Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    1987 Skipjack 25' Fisherman, 1968 Bertram Moppie 20, 1987 Livingston LV14 Orca
    I like trolling better myself but live bait is fun.

It's been shaker city all year which means next year should be epic.

I caught a 25" last trip on a popsicle in 15' of water and a $hit load of shakers.

I'm going again Saturday. I'll post something up.