Dream trip or just dreaming???

Robert Muniak

May 12, 2019
Name
Robert muniak
Boat
Trousertrout
So I'm purchasing a 30 foot Weldcraft with twin 300 Suzuki's and kicker. Decked out electronics and all safety equipment (epirbs, liferafts, survival suits and so on). Spent a couple thousand hours navigating around yakutat bay over the past 15 years. I live in Cleveland Ohio. I have many trips out of Gloucester mass, Venice Louisiana and Cabo, chasing anything big and tasty. I am planning on a trip after a year of trying to break anything on my new boat that will break. Than towing to Haines. Then navigating the inside passage to elfin. Waiting for a window to travel to yakutat area. I am setting aside 30 days for sufficient time. I will be targeting mostly halibut,ling and kings but I want to dabble with electric reels for deep dropping for tasty creatures(black cod,shortraker). If I really pick and choose my days can I possibly make it to Fairweather grounds? It will be middle of June to middle of July. I can always set up shop in lituya to make it as short of a run as possible. Thanks for any information.

Reactions: Olddog8

justing

Aug 12, 2006
Sitka, Alaska
Name
justin guzman
Boat
to many to list
I wouldn’t recommend it. The weather out on the grounds can change really quickly much quicker then other places I’ve been. There’s a reason u don’t see Charters running there and almost zero commercial boats under 45 feet. Lituya bay is safe but the entrance depending on weather can be difficult too.

Justin

Robert Muniak

May 12, 2019
Name
Robert muniak
Boat
Trousertrout
With the latest electronics would that help in the situation? Would being able to know wind speed and direction within 500 miles or so from buoy data, or is the fear of winds coming off mountains? I realize it's kind of the lure like wanting to stand on the guardrail at Niagra falls.

Jvc126

Jul 7, 2016
NH
Name
Hell bent
Boat
Down east
sounds like a incredible trip to me.
Might you be looking for a deckhand/fishing parter for a week or two. I could help with expenses.

Robert Muniak

May 12, 2019
Name
Robert muniak
Boat
Trousertrout
I am sorry but I have guys periodically flying into yakutat for the whole duration. It's pretty unbelievable how cheap the trip will actually be. I calculated about $20,000. And that's with me not even cutting a fish and shipping a couple thousand pounds back to Cleveland. Plus being able to fish halibut every day and not having to buy tags.

Jvc126

Jul 7, 2016
NH
Name
Hell bent
Boat
Down east
Understand. If someone was to back out.and you need a guy Let me know.
Thanks for the reply and good luck with the trip.
JVC

Robert Muniak

May 12, 2019
Name
Robert muniak
Boat
Trousertrout
How the charters can buy into the tag program so you can keep 2 halibut a day of any size.

May 17, 2019
Eagle River
Name
Joe
Boat
Salmonella
Ah makes sense now. Not sure if its been said before on here but you cant have more then 4 halibut in possession on the boat per person. The feds says if the fish is frozen on the boat or at home it is still considered in possession which is different then how ADFG classifies "in possession"

kevina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
I am sorry but I have guys periodically flying into yakutat for the whole duration. It's pretty unbelievable how cheap the trip will actually be. I calculated about $20,000. And that's with me not even cutting a fish and shipping a couple thousand pounds back to Cleveland. Plus being able to fish halibut every day and not having to buy tags.
Halibut limit is 4 per year for non residents (you stated you live in Cleveland Ohio) and Lings are 2 per year in most parts of Alaska! Even if you buy tags it still counts toward your annual limit, That's what I was told. In order to ship back a couple of thousand pounds of fillets, Your 4 halibut and 2 lings better weigh more than 4000lbs before processing. That is assuming you can yield 50% of fillets from the whole fish!

Reactions: STANWOOD BOB

Robert Muniak

May 12, 2019
Name
Robert muniak
Boat
Trousertrout
I can't get a straight answer. 2019 changed to unlimited for the year on charters in some zones. Some changed to 8 for the year. I am flexible to go to other areas where legally I can keep the fish. Thanks. Wildlife just got back to me. No annual limit for unguided

Last edited:
May 17, 2019
Eagle River
Name
Joe
Boat
Salmonella
by the end of it you will have a phd in fed and adfg fishing regs in south east. have to go to more schooling if you want to get a phd in another area of the state though!

waldocod

Mar 27, 2007
Washington
Name
Steve
Boat
Arima Sea Legend
Have you checked on shipping costs yet? We fished all summer in Homer and shipped fish to family and friends. It ain’t cheap from Alaska. We got a deal on it and it was around $200 / 50 lb box.

kevina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
I can't get a straight answer. 2019 changed to unlimited for the year on charters in some zones. Some changed to 8 for the year. I am flexible to go to other areas where legally I can keep the fish. Thanks. Wildlife just got back to me. No annual limit for unguided
That's great to know!!!

Robert Muniak

May 12, 2019
Name
Robert muniak
Boat
Trousertrout
$80 per 100lbs box this year. They changed things up on Alaska airlines that most people haven't recognized. $50 per piece up to 50lbs. But it's $80 per piece up to 100lbs. If my math is correct that's like %5000 in savings

Last edited: