Drags no good on TWO brand new Alijos???!!!

Eric Ancog

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 3, 2018
Lakewood
Name
Eric Ancog
Boat
Independence, Shogun, Red Rooster III
is this a known problem with all of the alijos? Or just a handful? Thinking of picking up a 16 soon.
Not sure if its an issue with all of their models but I have seen it on my 5 and heard from others on other sizes too?

T.Bui

I have no beliefs, I joined for the violence.
Feb 21, 2012
Castro Valley
Name
Bui
Boat
Warfighter
Not yet. I was contacted by Okuma to let me know what the problem is/was but as of today, Sunday July 19th my reels are both still at the repair center awaiting some new drag plates or some shit. I've literally given up and forgotten about them at this point. On the bright side, when they DO actually show up on my porch it'll be like Christmas!
How long have you been waiting? I just sent my Alijos 5 in last week. When going from freespool to strike, sometimes it would be at 12#, but sometimes 10 or 14#. I also noticed the preset knob with one click clockwise or counter clockwise the drag would change by 4-5#. I opened up the reel when I bought it and found a piece of metal shaving in between the drag disk and washer. Removed it and reassemble thinking that was cause of my drag issue but I was wrong.

Eric Ancog

Mar 3, 2018
Lakewood
Name
Eric Ancog
Boat
How long have you been waiting? I just sent my Alijos 5 in last week. When going from freespool to strike, sometimes it would be at 12#, but sometimes 10 or 14#. I also noticed the preset knob with one click clockwise or counter clockwise the drag would change by 4-5#. I opened up the reel when I bought it and found a piece of metal shaving in between the drag disk and washer. Removed it and reassemble thinking that was cause of my drag issue but I was wrong.
I sent my Alijos 5 reel back in March right before the whole covid shut down. Been waiting ever since. I imagine its sitting in a box in a corner somewhere in the Ontario service dept

Reactions: rexor_rn

ctran

Mar 9, 2009
Anaheim,ca usa
Name
chau
Boat
None
Have been debating between the Alijos 16 or Mak 16 as a 80lb emergency 100lb set up. Now it has me thinking. Wanted the light weight of the Alijos.

Mike Rudovsky

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 23, 2017
Half Moon Bay
Name
Mike Rudovsky
Boat
27' Farallon
On the phone with Kevin from Okuma about an hour ago.
Apparently they still haven’t figured out for sure what the issue is, they think it’s either the drag washers, or drag plates.

• Haha
Reactions: rexor_rn and Haly0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Lesson Learned:
Don't buy any NEW product until it's been in the market place for a year or two. That goes for any new first production reel, rod, lure, boat, car. Anything.

Wait until they get the 'bugs' out of the product and watch for "redesign", or as some call it a "improvement". Then try to buy the latest production run.

At least that's what I try to do.

CrazyDonkey

Sep 4, 2014
Name
Ian
Boat
Linda Vista
Lesson Learned:
Don't buy any NEW product until it's been in the market place for a year or two. That goes for any new first production reel, rod, lure, boat, car. Anything.

Wait until they get the 'bugs' out of the product and watch for "redesign", or as some call it a "improvement". Then try to buy the latest production run.

At least that's what I try to do.
Except they also don't send out fixes for reels that are already at the store, so you would need to make sure that you get one of the new lots and not the original...happened to me with my Andros.

Reactions: Cubeye

rexor_rn

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
HOLLYWOOD
Name
Mananagat
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
Just wondering why it seems to follow a pattern....It happened to Andros & Metaloid then now with Alijos. I don’t know with Cavalla. Hopefully Okuma can figure out what part of the process needs “improvement“..😉

RedBoatBob

May 20, 2003
San Pedro
Name
Bob
Boat
Kingfisher 2625 Coastal Express
Been a few months now and although they do contact me now and again these reels are still in their possession not mine. Their latest move was to just refund my money which is fine with me but BOTH reels were just filled with brand new spectra to the tune of $135 total for the pair. I provided my cc receipt for purchase price and the cc receipt for the spectra fill at Island Tackle.

They then emailed me some type of internal credit form but no further contact ( no check either) and they completely ignored my $135 spectra cost for these reels on that credit memo thing. So it seems to me that I will be ass out $135 for the privilege of buying two complete pieces of shit from Okuma that were never fished, never even got wet, not once.

This had been the single most ridiculous purchase I've ever had the misfortune to be a part of and the beauty of it all is that it never ends! It's like herpes and lies dormant fur a while then rears its ugly head now and again just remind me of a mistake I made some time ago that simply will not get resolved and effing go away once and for all. Enough is enough Okuma. Get your shit together and either fix the effing reels, ship out new replacements or refund my money. Seriously it's not that difficult....

T.Bui

I have no beliefs, I joined for the violence.
Feb 21, 2012
Castro Valley
Name
Bui
Boat
Warfighter
Been a few months now and although they do contact me now and again these reels are still in their possession not mine. Their latest move was to just refund my money which is fine with me but BOTH reels were just filled with brand new spectra to the tune of $135 total for the pair. I provided my cc receipt for purchase price and the cc receipt for the spectra fill at Island Tackle.

They then emailed me some type of internal credit form but no further contact ( no check either) and they completely ignored my $135 spectra cost for these reels on that credit memo thing. So it seems to me that I will be ass out $135 for the privilege of buying two complete pieces of shit from Okuma that were never fished, never even got wet, not once.

This had been the single most ridiculous purchase I've ever had the misfortune to be a part of and the beauty of it all is that it never ends! It's like herpes and lies dormant fur a while then rears its ugly head now and again just remind me of a mistake I made some time ago that simply will not get resolved and effing go away once and for all. Enough is enough Okuma. Get your shit together and either fix the effing reels, ship out new replacements or refund my money. Seriously it's not that difficult....
Does anyone have an Alijos that works? They should take these reels off the market and refund everyone.

Reactions: Haly0

Mark Bingham

Sep 5, 2016
California
Name
StormFishing
Boat
Wet Dream
They are almost completely sold out and will be till September is what I've been told. The only ones that have problems im sure are being trashed here where everyone that has no problems are probably just getting to use them.

Last edited:

Eric Ancog

Mar 3, 2018
Lakewood
Name
Eric Ancog
Boat
What’s happening with the reels?
My Alijose 5 hasn’t been returned to me. Anyone get there’s back?
My reel has been at Okuma since March, still haven't gotten my reel back. The latest word I got is they're still waiting on the new drag plates to come in.

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
My reel has been at Okuma since March, still haven't gotten my reel back. The latest word I got is they're still waiting on the new drag plates to come in.
Interesting. They've known about this problem for at least six months, and they knew the Lead Time to make new ones, plus shipping.

Perhaps a "redesign" or "improvement" was necessary?

As a temporary Stop Gap, why didn't they simply have a machine shop here in California make them? Small shops are able to quickly retool and start production.

Now they have a PR problem

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
I have a full line up of Mak’s (7 total) and love them to death but I was one of the ones that had an issue with the Andros out of the box (it seized when it was being filled with spectra, never got wet). They’re not doing well with the latest models on consistent performance and quality out of the box like the Maks.

I’d be pissed if I bought a new reel and it didn’t work right out of the box and the the manufacturer held the reel for months waiting to fix it. I’d want a refund and would never buy that brand again. That’s just a really poor message to send to the consumer

Last edited:
Reactions: rexor_rn and Haly0

Eric Ancog

Mar 3, 2018
Lakewood
Name
Eric Ancog
Boat
I have a full line up of Mak’s (7 total) and love them to death but I was one of the ones that had an issue with the Android out of the box (it seized when it was being filled with spectra, never got wet). They’re not doing well with the latest models on consistent performance and quality out of the box like the Maks.

I’d be pissed if I bought a new reel and it didn’t work right out of the box and the the manufacturer held the reel for months waiting to fix it. I’d want a refund and would never buy that brand again. That’s just a really poor message to send to the consumer
Up until now i've been really happy with okuma products. Love my Maks, tesoro, and PCH rods. Just really surprised how poor this product was especially when theyre calling it a Makaira "Light" reel. I guess moving forward I'd wait to buy new reels from Okuma until the 2nd generation of the new product line comes out.

rexor_rn

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
HOLLYWOOD
Name
Mananagat
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
Up until now i've been really happy with okuma products. Love my Maks, tesoro, and PCH rods. Just really surprised how poor this product was especially when theyre calling it a Makaira "Light" reel. I guess moving forward I'd wait to buy new reels from Okuma until the 2nd generation of the new product line comes out.
Feel bad for you Eric...these Andros-Alijos debacle will surely stain the Makaira / Okuma brand...sad ☹....at least with Accurate Tern’s they deal with it right in the get go!

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
I lost my faith in Okuma a long time ago since they came out with the A-5NII series. I lost all trust in them after returning a reel for service over three times and having it come back worse. The only one I trust is the Makaira series. Even then, its known to spin the handle when loading spectra. Its a known problem and their solution is to put it in low gear. What a joke. I never had to put any of my other reels in low gear just to spool line. The Okuma Andros also spun in circles when I was loading braid too. My faith is zero with Okuma.

Eric Ancog

Mar 3, 2018
Lakewood
Name
Eric Ancog
Boat
Feel bad for you Eric...these Andros-Alijos debacle will surely stain the Makaira / Okuma brand...sad ☹....at least with Accurate Tern’s they deal with it right in the get go!
Hey Rex, did you get a chance to try out your Alijos 5N reel yet? Wondering if you also has any drag issues too?