F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    My 50lb spring scale finally came in and I got a chance to test drags. My torque 15ld2 oddly gets 16 at strike, 19 at full and 21 at sunset with free spool. My fathom 30ld2 gets 22 at strike, and over 30 at full with full free spool. The line snapped and didn't wanna retie to test sunset.
    Then I tested my 40nld, 32lbs at strike, and 40lbs at full, bottomed out at sunset. With free spool left.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Mar 10, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Not Yet
    My 50lb spring scale finally came in and I got a chance to test drags. My torque 15ld2 gets 22 at strike, 26 at full and 32 at sunset with free spool. My fathom 30ld2 gets 22 at strike, and over 30 at full with full free spool. The line snapped and didn't wanna retie to test sunset.
    Then I tested my 40nld, 32lbs at strike, and 40lbs at full, bottomed out at sunset. With free spool left.

Those measurements for the Torque 15LD2 seem very questionable.

PENN advertises, 20lb MAX drag, which would be sunset.

More precisely, 13/16/20 pounds at strike, full, and sunset respectively. For you to get 22/26/32 sounds more like ideal 25N numbers.

Something seems.....FISHY.

Reactions: Pitchinwedge
    Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    Those measurements for the Torque 15LD2 seem very questionable.

PENN advertises, 20lb MAX drag, which would be sunset.

More precisely, 13/16/20 pounds at strike, full, and sunset respectively. For you to get 22/26/32 sounds more like ideal 25N numbers.

Something seems.....FISHY.
    I was thinking the same thing, thought the scale was broken. Put it on a 10lb dumbell, read 10lbs. 20lbs, read 20lbs. Not the scale. I can post some pics if you would like.

Reactions: PennDaiwaShimano
    Upvote 0
    Mar 10, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Not Yet
    I was thinking the same thing, thought the scale was broken. Put it on a 10lb dumbell, read 10lbs. 20lbs, read 20lbs. Not the scale. I can post some pics if you would like.

I'd suggest you go through your setup and figure out the discrepancy before posting figures like that when its very obvious the numbers don't make any sense. It only leads to confusion, misinformation, and questionable credibility.

Now if your post was to ask for help in figuring out how or why you were getting those high numbers, that's different, but I'm really stretching here as that was clearly not your intent.

But, I'll still give you the benefit of the doubt, and an out, and try to help. We can take it to PM and discuss the details/specifics there with the assumption you modify the contents of your original post to stop the spread of false information.

Ball is in your court.

Reactions: F.I.S.H.Y
    Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16

Are you certain that you don't have a 15XNLD2 model?
    That model would have the drag numbers you mention, as it is essentially just an "extra narrow" version of the 25NLD2.

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    Are you certain that you don't have a 15XNLD2 model?
    That model would have the drag numbers you mention, as it is essentially just an "extra narrow" version of the 25NLD2.
    Nope, its the 15ld2. I did swap out the cam with the 40nld's to give both a better curve, maybe that's why not sure. Doesn't seem normal with this size reel in the torque lineup and did have me scratching my head a bit. Doesn't seem like the reel has any problems. the lever gets pretty tight at this setting but that's about it. Internally looks as it should.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Nope, its the 15ld2. I did swap out the cam with the 40nld's to give both a better curve, maybe that's why not sure. Doesn't seem normal with this size reel in the torque lineup and did have me scratching my head a bit. Doesn't seem like the reel has any problems. the lever gets pretty tight at this setting but that's about it. Internally looks as it should.

OK, the moment you start switching parts between disparate models, you may get pretty widely varying results.
    You also invalidate your warranty.

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    I put the stock cam back on it to see, it gets 16 at strike, 19 at full, and 21 at sunset. This is the highest it can go maintaining freespool.
    Then I put the fathoms cam back on, it gets 22 at strike, 26 at full, and 32 at sunset still maintaining freespool.
    The lever gets a bit tighter with the fathoms cam on the highest setting but i would likely never use that setting so doesn't matter much.

Also putting the cams side by side the fathoms is quite a bit thicker which is probably causing the massive increase.

Upvote 0
    Mar 10, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Not Yet
    Since you're updating this thread and PM-ing me at the same time, I'll just respond here.

If your 15 measures 16/19/21 and Penn's advertised spec is 13/16/20, I would say it's a lot more "normal" to expected performance than what you originally reported, although IMO it's still a bit high at strike and full. This could be due to measurement error, your setup, the way your measuring, etc.

But, if you start playing musical chairs with parts and reporting performance figures, I'm not sure what you are hoping to achieve by posting it publicly without disclaiming that it's been modified until the 7th post, when Steve tried to help you.

At the end of the day, it's your reel, and you can do whatever you want to it. But, posting big numbers without the relevant details is misleading and causes confusion. Finally, running a 40N's cam in a 15's design will likely lead to unexpected behavior, issues, and a reduced lifecycle.

Reactions: Goosed10 and JK47
    Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.