Accurate Fishing Reels

Rngriley

Jan 20, 2012
Delray Bch Fl
Name
Gary Riley
Boat
Boatless
My bx2-600 and now may dpx2-600w are both having the same issue. While fighting a fish the drag tightens on its own. When I reduced the preset to loosen the drag, the drag loosen below what I had it originally set at. Something is sticking. Reels were serviced by accurate prior to this happening. One is back in for repairs but haven't received an answer back as to what is going on with the reel. Anyone having this issue. Have lost several nice fish at the boat due to drag being to tight.

Gary

Upvote 0

rick marin

Nothing new here
Dec 24, 2006
lemon grove
Name
rick marin
Boat
H & M fleet
Not sure if this is the issue, but the drag on reels increases in proportion to the diameter of the spool. As you lose line the diameter diminishes and the pressure required to pull line off the spool increases. It's a gradual thing but can be enough to pop you off if its a long running fish. If this isn't the issue, the guys at Accurate will take care of you.

Upvote 0

Rngriley

Jan 20, 2012
Delray Bch Fl
Name
Gary Riley
Boat
Boatless
The drag is almost locked after setting at say 15lbs or so. Using 40lb mono. I've loosened the preset after it seems tight and it would be locked and then go back to that setting say 10#'s of drag, while all of the line is on the spool. I'm concerned b/c the reels are in my car that the heat is softening the grease too much causing malfunctions. Going to keep reels in the house from here on out, but would like to know the issue so I can fix on my own without having to wait a month to get back from accurate.

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
Somebody put it together wrong...even the shops working on the reels they produce have new people sometimes working on them....humans are fallible..some more so then other ...few more then me.

Upvote 0

Rngriley

Jan 20, 2012
Delray Bch Fl
Name
Gary Riley
Boat
Boatless
I hope that is the case. Very frustrating to loose nice fish after fighting them for over ten minutes, then the leader breaks b/c the drag tightened down on it's own.

Upvote 0

[email protected]

http://www.accuratefishing.com
Apr 16, 2010
San Clemente, CA
www.accuratefishing.com
Name
Ben Secrest
Boat
Klamath 18
My bx2-600 and now may dpx2-600w are both having the same issue. While fighting a fish the drag tightens on its own. When I reduced the preset to loosen the drag, the drag loosen below what I had it originally set at. Something is sticking. Reels were serviced by accurate prior to this happening. One is back in for repairs but haven't received an answer back as to what is going on with the reel. Anyone having this issue. Have lost several nice fish at the boat due to drag being to tight.

Gary
Gary,
Get us the reel and we will diagnose the problem and get it fixed. We do not want you loosing fish because of our product. Send it with a note attn: Service Department and we will get it done and back to you.

Upvote 0

Rngriley

Jan 20, 2012
Delray Bch Fl
Name
Gary Riley
Boat
Boatless
40lb mono. Mutton fishing. Most hits come with 100, 200, or even 300 yards of line off the reel. They just finished my bx2-600 and I will send in my dpx2-600 when my bx2-600 arrives. Like stated earlier it goes in and out, but mostly occurs when the fish takes a quick run. Something is sticking. Could be to much grease causing something to malfunction or just the opposite. Seems to be a little play in the anti reverse on the Dpx as well. I can feel the handle wobbling a bit when reeling in.

Gary

Upvote 0

Terryw

Capitan
Apr 7, 2012
San Diego/ca/usa
Name
Terry
Boat
42 Henriques
If it makes you feel any better I am having the same problem with two brand new Dauntless reels. Lost some really nice Jumbo BFT on the trip I just got off. I know that Accurate will make it right but even the deckhands said something is definitely wrong. Went from light drag at strike in the beginning to almost

Upvote 0

Terryw

Capitan
Apr 7, 2012
San Diego/ca/usa
Name
Terry
Boat
42 Henriques
Wondering if you got an acceptable resolution. I have the same problem with two brand new Dauntless reels. Lost some quality 100# Blue Fin on the trip I just got off. The deckhands confirmed something is wrong. I am hoping Accurate can convince me to keep the reels as they are nice other than this issue.

Upvote 0

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
in my opinion; with the tight tolerance between the drag's metal disc center & the shaft, perhaps the hole (where the disc slides on the shaft) swells as it heats and binds on the shaft causing the bind issue??

or this same binding issue is occurring at the preset?

what do i know.... they'll make good on it... Grease and Polish That Shaft!

Upvote 0

[email protected]

Apr 16, 2010
San Clemente, CA
www.accuratefishing.com
Name
Ben Secrest
Boat
Klamath 18
Ben, I fish between 30-100 yds mono top shot on some reels. What would the length in top shot have to do with the drags tightening?

Thanks for the great products you put out.
Since we have twin drags which applies equal amount of pressure on both sides of the spool plus our very tight tolerances, we have to deal with mono compaction issues with the mono. Anglers that use top shots get the line put on very tight at the stores and the mono will stretch creating a smaller diameter as it goes on the reel but always regains its original diameter within a short time frame. The results are it pushes sideways on the spool which spreads the tip of the spool outwards and the drags being on both sides are pushed closer to the drag plates on both sides of the spool. This decreases your drag range which makes the overall drag increase with very little adjustment. Our reels are designed for heavier drags so we push braid and smaller top shots. I use between 6 and 12 feel on my smaller reels and do not have a problem with this at all.
I think a lot of anglers believe mono casts better but braid in my opinion is the easier to cast and with the right connections going through the guides its pretty smooth. Key is to make sure your thumb is educated casting around the wind. Hope this helps answer your question and sorry it took while to get back to you. Been traveling.

Reactions: gingervco1
Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Since we have twin drags which applies equal amount of pressure on both sides of the spool plus our very tight tolerances, we have to deal with mono compaction issues with the mono. Anglers that use top shots get the line put on very tight at the stores and the mono will stretch creating a smaller diameter as it goes on the reel but always regains its original diameter within a short time frame. The results are it pushes sideways on the spool which spreads the tip of the spool outwards and the drags being on both sides are pushed closer to the drag plates on both sides of the spool. This decreases your drag range which makes the overall drag increase with very little adjustment. Our reels are designed for heavier drags so we push braid and smaller top shots. I use between 6 and 12 feel on my smaller reels and do not have a problem with this at all.
I think a lot of anglers believe mono casts better but braid in my opinion is the easier to cast and with the right connections going through the guides its pretty smooth. Key is to make sure your thumb is educated casting around the wind. Hope this helps answer your question and sorry it took while to get back to you. Been traveling.
Ben I have the new dpX2 500 and the spool tension knob was frozen on the reel ' and you guy's are checking out ' have you guy's found out the problem with it yet 'thank's

Last edited:
Upvote 0

[email protected]

Apr 16, 2010
San Clemente, CA
www.accuratefishing.com
Name
Ben Secrest
Boat
Klamath 18
Ben I have the new BX2 500 and the spool tension knob was frozen on the reel ' and you guy's are checking out ' have you guy's found out the problem with it yet 'thank's
There are a lot of reels in here and Kristin is in charge of service. If you need information on that particular reel I would call her and she would be happy to check on it for you.
FYI. The new BX2 Series II does not have a AccuCast on it. It has a clear frame.

Upvote 0

[email protected]

Apr 16, 2010
San Clemente, CA
www.accuratefishing.com
Name
Ben Secrest
Boat
Klamath 18
Ben, I fish between 30-100 yds mono top shot on some reels. What would the length in top shot have to do with the drags tightening?

Thanks for the great products you put out.
Mono under load inherently stretches but after time will regain its original diameter. Mono compaction is what that is referred to and is present in all reels which the end result can spread the spools at the tips. With our TwinDrag® reels this will cut down on the tolerances between the washer and friction plate limiting your drag range until the line is taken off the spool again. We designed the reels to fish braid and recommend those fishing a top shot or leader keeping it to 6 to 15 feet. This problem is seen rarely but I have dealt it in the past.
I have suggested previously that people use shorter leaders and have also explained the difference between fishing a lot of mono in the water versus braid which has less resistance and helps your bait look a lot more lively and natural. Try cutting down on the leader and if that does not help get it in to us to see what we can do.
Hope this helps.

Upvote 0