RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Great to know. FYI the white ring on mine stretched and slid to easily. So I took it off. Roughen the inside, with coarse sandpaper and then taped the ring tightly. Seems to work better, but I’ll wait and see.

Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
21' Center Console
Sadly many fisherman have no idea what you're talking about. Good on you for setting your drags properly.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Nice looking scale. Great to know what the pound is from a full spool and to get a idea and to set the drag at strike

Wonder what the difference is

Same drag setting
Line pulled off the reel. With a bend in the rod from 5 yards away at strike

And then from 300 yards away at strike. Pulling line off from 300 yards the drag will have increased more then from 5 yards.

Lever drag curves to work with 🤙🏾

W
woodfish330
Don't forget the increase pressure from all that line "belly" being dragged by the fish.... changes the amount at the hook ...felt by the fish.
Reactions: ZZZZZ
Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Can't read that LOL

But someone at a park or open land. Test the drag at 5 meters from the rod tip. Then have someone walk 300 meters away like a scoped out cow on the surface. And then pull line off the reel. The 2 numbers won't match

Oh that's why the fish broke off LOL

Another thing is. If drag is set before the climate change. The drags will swell with increased humidity increasing the drag going into the tropics. Overnight. Test again before fishing

I'm going in and out of gear on the soak allot. Pulling line off in gear without trying to disrupt the baits swimming performance. Habit to stay awake

Reactions: woodfish330
Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Finesse fishing light line fishing for big fish. Set the drag with a full spool. Get bit on a almost empty spool and slide the lever to where the drag was set at full spool, for the bite

Cyah

Reactions: woodfish330
Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    For me the only thing I need is repeatable success. The amount of bent vertical rod, amount of line on the reel, belly of line in water, speed of fish are all dynamic variables that constantly change your drag at the fish hook. If you have a way to do it… fine, but I pull back the reel pointing rod at the drag scale. I do like the info that 1/2 diameter spool = 2 times starting drag but I have yet not stopped a fish with a vertical rod.

Last edited:
    Reactions: JohnTFT
    Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat
    A big Steel One
    I pull back the reel pointing rod at the drag scale
    I cant begin to tell you how many rods are broken setting drags.

The person on the rod pulls back trying to get the desired setting. As a result, the rod is in the high stick position and breaks.

I witnessed two rail rods break setting them this way. Jigging and popping rods - are very sensitive to this type of unintended deformation of the rod blank.

I use the method Bill describes as well.

Where the rubber really meets the road - who reduces their drag setting when they are getting dumped?

That is the point of initial drag settings at strike.

Reducing drag as spool diameter decreases then increasing drag as line is gained back on the spool, is the function of drag settings on lever type drags.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    I go by hand just like the crew. Or 1 scale pull then pull off by hand for future settings

Gone 19/19 documented on BD on big fish 140-300. I'm not changing my system.

Last edited:
    Reactions: jayyyy
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Walked away from 19/19 LOL :D

And beat the shogun YFT boat record. At the same time. Largest brace of YFT ever to be hooked on back to back bites, out of SD

Upvote 0

Bearwell

Jan 15, 2008
    Berkeley
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    none
    -snip-

Where the rubber really meets the road - who reduces their drag setting when they are getting dumped?

That is the point of initial drag settings at strike.

Reducing drag as spool diameter decreases then increasing drag as line is gained back on the spool, is the function of drag settings on lever type drags.
    I decrease drag when a big fish is taking line. That is unless I'm getting spooled but I've not had that problem with 800yds of line on the reel. The line drag (wetted surface) can be significant.

I agree with varying drag during the fight. I set drag off the reel as it's just a reference point. What matters is the force at the hook. I try to keep that force constant by varying the reel drag.

I set drag at "slow pull" as it is more representative when the fish is doing circles/full spool. I also check "fast pull" since that is more representative of the drag at the hook when the fish is running to see if the drag is in good shape. Wet drags tend to really ramp up the drag force when running fast.

Chris

Reactions: JohnTFT
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    I decrease drag when a big fish is taking line. That is unless I'm getting spooled but I've not had that problem with 800yds of line on the reel. The line drag (wetted surface) can be significant.

I agree with varying drag during the fight. I set drag off the reel as it's just a reference point. What matters is the force at the hook. I try to keep that force constant by varying the reel drag.

I set drag at "slow pull" as it is more representative when the fish is doing circles/full spool. I also check "fast pull" since that is more representative of the drag at the hook when the fish is running to see if the drag is in good shape. Wet drags tend to really ramp up the drag force when running fast.

Chris

Thank you. Common sense

Personally being spooled. Has been a urban legend

Seriously, how many have been taken to the knot?

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Thank you. Common sense

Personally being spooled. Has been a urban legend

Seriously, how many have been taken to the knot?
    I think most people clamp down on the drag and spool which either turns the fish or breaks it off or toss their rod over on a backup rig before they actually get spooled.

Pretty sure I did see my knot once several years ago fishing light gear.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    I have seen many fishermen take a skiff ride, most come back with less than expected size fish. Sticking the rod as vertical as you can and on the rail is magic to changing a running fish mind. Also as the spool gets smaller in diameter the drag increases. The first thing to do when you see any change in speed going out is to get up off the deck, point the rod at the fish and reel/rock forward rock back to get line back on the reel. You are not really in danger of loosing the fish cause the amount of line out and the fish has changed direction and you are gaining line from the belly of line. The fight is changing transition between the two parts and what to do. The pointy end of the fish is always moving pretty much the same speed, you gotta get the most of the time the fish is pointing to the boat. The idea is to lead the fish to the boat. As far as line strength there really is no danger of breaking 80# on up line. When the fish is close to the boat maybe the shock of the fish hitting tight on the line may be an issue but not out away from the boat.

Last edited:
    Reactions: DesotoBound
    Upvote 0