Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    Explained to my friends Sunday no fishing for sheepshead or bass we are focusing on butts. Left the fresh dead in the freezer to avoid the temptaion of fishing strips.

Got a great scopped of mixed sized deans and cleared the harbor at 7 to a chilly 42 degrees. Despite the big early tidal swing we had a weak downhill current and about 15 MPH wind coming right off the beach. Made for some tough drifts trying to hit the corners of the transitions. Our first area was total bust with 1 only 1 decent Calico to show.

Morale was down...:_diarrhea_:. I find it hard to focus on butts with other people on the boat. It's tough to know you are working for a couple of good bites for the whole day and constantly running super short drifts along the corner of transitions but we stuck with it. It's why I like to fish halibut solo so much.

The wind really backed off giving us slow drifts down hill. Second area started off slow as well but at 11 I drop on the corner of a stone and got hammered. First decent one of the day ... about 15, fought way harder than most 15# butts. Nice to get the skunk off. We kept pounding the stones in the area for one more barely legal which went back. We ran out of time and had to head in.

These were #37 and 38 for me for the year. Hoping to get to 40 by the end of the year.

P.S. I'm not miserable in the picture... just squinting :rofl:

Attachments

• Butt 12.5.11.jpg
      Butt 12.5.11.jpg
      60.8 KB · Views: 31
    Upvote 0

tsurikichi

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 25, 2005
    SoCal
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    10' 2 1/64"
    Hi Northeastfshman,

Nice looking fishy ..... enough there for everybody on the boat !!

tsurikichi

Upvote 0

Phat Matt

Matt
    Jun 30, 2003
    San Clemente
    Name
    PhAT Matt
    Boat
    2320 Parker - MISS EMMA
    Brett,

Nice work,

I saw you guys out there. I pounded the North Creek area for no biters then off to my go to spot for no biters. It was a no biter day for me...good work on a slow day! It warmed up pretty good out there. Maybe I will go for some bait next time. I hear you on the solo BUTT fishing thing. Fish all day for one or two biters..boring fishing for most....

Kind of like being a relief pitcher..sit there and eat seed all day and you get to play for 1/2 an inning.

Matty

Upvote 0

OciferDave

Jun 20, 2006
    California
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    35 Cabo OC + 30 Grady Baja
    Thanks to this report I realized something profound .... I DO catch more halibut when I am solo ....

We fished in the same general area the same day ... Tried for butts in a.m. And promptly moved on to bottom fishing to keep the crew happy with some instant gratification.

Nice fish.

Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    I know this is blasphmy ... but I absolutly cannot stand Calico fishing. it reminds me of Largmouth fishing my least favorite fishing in the world. Seabass fishing is great but not consistent enough to be a year round thing on the beach...and if there are yellowtail on any kind of regular basis around the DP area ... well ... news to me in the three years I've been here. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    As such I've had a tough time finding that fish I really want to work at here in California. <o:p></o:p>
    I love Halibut fishing because to be good at it it's such a precision game. It's not drifting across acres of sand bottom or pulling bounce ball gear for hours hoping for a bite like so many people think.<o:p></o:p>

It's a precision game keeping your baits in tiny fingers of sand between hard bottom or working the slighest depressions in the sand till you've covered it all. It's an extremly challenging fishery and one i really enjoy! <o:p></o:p>

But if I wasn't runnning the boat it would drive me nuts lol.

Upvote 0

BornFisher

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 17, 2003
    Encinitas (Olivenhain)
    Visit site
    Name
    Bill Fisher
    Boat
    18' Bayliner Trophy, cuddy
    Nice fish--- yeah it`s all about time on the water. Having friends on the boat is nice, but as captain you feel it`s your job to put them on fish. So Halibut and WSB fishing are usually out of the question, fishing for that one bite! Congrats on getting the program down!

Upvote 0

BurningHeart

Wayward Son
    Oct 12, 2010
    Bakersfield
    Name
    Joel
    Boat
    N/A....I wish
    Nice fish Brett! I'm like you, I'd rather have a skunk targeting one species than changing midway to get a fish count.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    I love Halibut fishing because to be good at it it's such a precision game.
    It's not drifting across acres of sand bottom or pulling bounce ball gear for hours hoping for a bite like so many people think.<o:p></o:p>

It's a precision game keeping your baits in tiny fingers of sand between hard bottom or working the slighest depressions in the sand till you've covered it all.
    It's an extremly challenging fishery and one i really enjoy!

:appl:
    bullseye.jpg

Upvote 0

plambeck

Almost A Member
    Jun 2, 2009
    San Clemente
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    20ft Robalo CC
    My buddy shot this one (20+lbs) today while free diving, they must be moving in with the full moon.

Attachments

• Photo489.jpg
      Photo489.jpg
      30.9 KB · Views: 67
    Upvote 0

BiggestT

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Sep 8, 2004
    Fullerton
    Name
    SM
    Boat
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Well there you go: One man's boredom equals another man's passion. Fishing is all what you make it. Believe it or not, there are very similar methods used for largemouth bass which are highly effective at producing trophy sized fish over 10 lbs, just saying.

Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    And you want me to take YOU fishing?

Nice work dude.

I did work for Saltwater Sportsman doing all their NY seminars as their resident expert on fishing in NY ... whatever the hell that meant and have commercially and recreationally fished my whole life

It's not that I can't catch fish Ali...

I just wanted to go on a bigger boat Ali :rofl:

Upvote 0