the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Maybe they are around a lot more than I know; I never target them and I rarely buy fin bait. Caught 2 Bonito while making bait 3 weeks ago. Thinking by the reports that this is a good year for the “best fighting fish, pound for pound”.

Plan was vague from the start. Make bait. Can use them for hoops even if there is no time to use them for bait. WFO south of the green buoy, 65 feet. Both Spanish and Pacific, 50/50. This may help someone topping off their bait tank.

P1020668.JPG

Was a little breezy at daybreak. I tried to catch some Rockfish but it was hard to hit the spots. Gave up after pulling and descending some little fellas.

Seeing the reports of Bonito coastally, I dug up some 35 year old Bonito Feathers and thought I’d give them a try. Trolled the North side of Salt Creek to Monarch Point and stopped 4 times. 2 large Pacific Mackerel and 2 Bonito.

P1020675.JPG

Went back to the deep water because it glassed off. Caught two nice Sandbass in 250 feet. Wind picked up around noon, so I tried the south side of the Harbor with the slow trolled feathers and Bass rods. 2 more Bonito. I threw those back. All were little guys. The yellow/green feather-3 and the blue/white-1. It was overcast. 60 feet seemed to work and 4 mph. Way behind the boat.

P1020680.JPG

P1020679.JPG

If you have kids and you want to locate the Bonito, the Feathers worked great. I’m sure you could have caught a few on anchovies; that is if there is such a thing.

On the way in saw a sailboat race where guys actually knew their stuff. 10 mph into the wind. Good job guys!

P1020687.JPG

Side note: Saw OP flytie at the dock after fishing. I was throwing the Spanish back in the drink and had a cloud of Seagulls and Pelicans stalking the stunned ones. Spanish are my favorite for bait and not a lot of blood for the hoops. Yes, should have done it before going in. It’s not my practice to feed the critters. Flytie had to be thinking . . . WTF.

“psuh”

flytie

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
Maybe they are around a lot more than I know; I never target them and I rarely buy fin bait. Caught 2 Bonito while making bait 3 weeks ago. Thinking by the reports that this is a good year for the “best fighting fish, pound for pound”.

Plan was vague from the start. Make bait. Can use them for hoops even if there is no time to use them for bait. WFO south of the green buoy, 65 feet. Both Spanish and Pacific, 50/50. This may help someone topping off their bait tank.

View attachment 1216336

Was a little breezy at daybreak. I tried to catch some Rockfish but it was hard to hit the spots. Gave up after pulling and descending some little fellas.

Seeing the reports of Bonito coastally, I dug up some 35 year old Bonito Feathers and thought I’d give them a try. Trolled the North side of Salt Creek to Monarch Point and stopped 4 times. 2 large Pacific Mackerel and 2 Bonito.

View attachment 1216337

Went back to the deep water because it glassed off. Caught two nice Sandbass in 250 feet. Wind picked up around noon, so I tried the south side of the Harbor with the slow trolled feathers and Bass rods. 2 more Bonito. I threw those back. All were little guys. The yellow/green feather-3 and the blue/white-1. It was overcast. 60 feet seemed to work and 4 mph. Way behind the boat.

View attachment 1216339

View attachment 1216338

If you have kids and you want to locate the Bonito, the Feathers worked great. I’m sure you could have caught a few on anchovies; that is if there is such a thing.

On the way in saw a sailboat race where guys actually knew their stuff. 10 mph into the wind. Good job guys!

View attachment 1216340

Side note: Saw OP flytie at the dock after fishing. I was throwing the Spanish back in the drink and had a cloud of Seagulls and Pelicans stalking the stunned ones. Spanish are my favorite for bait and not a lot of blood for the hoops. Yes, should have done it before going in. It’s not my practice to feed the critters. Flytie had to be thinking . . . WTF.

“psuh”
Launched a little after 6am. If you were working the bouy for bait before dawn, we passed you on the way out, buddy. We were out looking for flatties in shallow water up north. It was lake Pacific until about 12pm yesterday, meaning no current whatsoever. Great boating weather but not so good for halibut drifts. Did CR a 20# BSB around Salt Creek and a bunch of assorted bass (my wife throws a lure while I work for the barn doors).

We also went south and hooked into a school of bonito around Clemente kelp/Clemente pier in about 50' of water, on the feather, doing about 7.5 mph. Hope that helps anyone wanting to go out and catch them. They've been in that zone for about two months in varying depths down to Mateo Point.

We did notice the bird show at the ramp, you had quite a following! Everyone has their hobbies...

the SLIDER

Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Not one pic or vid of a wardrobe change, you suck!!!
We did notice the bird show at the ramp, you had quite a following! Everyone has their hobbies...
Yes, the audience (birds) grew in seconds. I watched the pigs get the stunned ones and it was pissing me off, cause that was not my intent. i was even trying to toss them under the nooks in the dock to no avail.

I may add that to my repertoire next year on a crowded day in summer.

:rofl:

I saw a girl taking survey for catch at the launch again. Seems like they are there a lot this year. Did she ask you what you caught? Always hesitant on what to say. Sometimes I tell them i don't want to participate. I figure whatever we say will be twisted to their agenda.

Last edited:
Reactions: flytie

flytie

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
I double dog dare you to pull that bird show off on a hot Saturday in July!

We disclose. Data that fish are being caught might help the cause. Fish not being caught might show being over fished.

John56434

Idk what to name dis
Aug 1, 2019
West side
Name
John
Boat
Fishing boat
Yes, the audience (birds) grew in seconds. I watched the pigs get the stunned ones and it was pissing me off, cause that was not my intent. i was even trying to toss them under the nooks in the dock to no avail.

I may add that to my repertoire next year on a crowded day in summer.

:rofl:

I saw a girl taking survey for catch at the launch again. Seems like they are there a lot this year. Did she ask you what you caught? Always hesitant on what to say. Sometimes I tell them i don't want to participate. I figure whatever we say will be twisted to their agenda.
They did it for rockfish on the charter boats and stuff so....

joshtrout

Jul 9, 2020
Claremont, Ca
Name
Josh Trout
Boat
N/A
Great write up. I have to say in all my 39 years I've never kept a Bonita until this particular year. I remember being a pinhead on the Southern Cal and Reel Special (this was the mid 90's) and having Bonita cooked up on the boat fresh caught. It was good. This year I decided to keep a couple (bled and put into the RSW immediately). I've tried sashimi, and the loins covered in sesame seeds then seared. It's actually pretty darn good. The texture leaves a little to be desired, but the flavor is on point. Weird how those ideas that were beaten into our heads years prior actually turn out to be somewhat false.

the SLIDER

Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Great write up. I have to say in all my 39 years I've never kept a Bonita until this particular year. I remember being a pinhead on the Southern Cal and Reel Special (this was the mid 90's) and having Bonita cooked up on the boat fresh caught. It was good. This year I decided to keep a couple (bled and put into the RSW immediately). I've tried sashimi, and the loins covered in sesame seeds then seared. It's actually pretty darn good. The texture leaves a little to be desired, but the flavor is on point. Weird how those ideas that were beaten into our heads years prior actually turn out to be somewhat false.
Thanks.

My Pop would always smoke the Barracuda and Bonito; Bennet's I believe on Harbor Blvd. GG. Crazy good!

One of our last trips together about ten years ago on his boat we caught Bonito at Cat. I bled them, filet on the boat and iced. Both of us were stunned that they were good seared.

To me, the meat is just not firm enough for raw consumption.

joshtrout

Jul 9, 2020
Claremont, Ca
Name
Josh Trout
Boat
N/A
Thanks.

My Pop would always smoke the Barracuda and Bonito; Bennet's I believe on Harbor Blvd. GG. Crazy good!

One of our last trips together about ten years ago on his boat we caught Bonito at Cat. I bled them, filet on the boat and iced. Both of us were stunned that they were good seared.

To me, the meat is just not firm enough for raw consumption.
I somewhat agree with the meat not being firm enough raw. Even seared its a little soft, but, it's still pretty good.

jspana

Cali*Co
Jul 28, 2014
laverne
Name
Joe
Boat
Humble1 222 C-Hawk sport cabin
Sauté onions in butter and soy sauce till transparent, then and 1" cubed fish and more soy sauce and butter if needed and toss to cook. When Bonita or Barricuda is cooked put it on a bed of white rice. Simple way to do it and you will have your neighbors telling you its the best fish they have ever had! I do it ALL the time!. (Learned it from a galley cook on the pursuit like 12years ago)

Oh and pat the oil off the fish when preparing it.

your welcome:cheers:

the SLIDER

Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Sauté onions in butter and soy sauce till transparent, then and 1" cubed fish and more soy sauce and butter if needed and toss to cook. When Bonita or Barricuda is cooked put it on a bed of white rice. Simple way to do it and you will have your neighbors telling you its the best fish they have ever had! I do it ALL the time!. (Learned it from a galley cook on the pursuit like 12years ago)

That is similar to the way I cook it the day I caught it. Saute in onions, soy and butter. Drained if off and topped that over Bonito in a casserole pan with butter. Added spices and sliced fresh tomato. Cooked for 5 minutes. Very good!

I will try it your way next time.

Reactions: jspana

pvtuna

Sep 26, 2014
Name
paul
Boat
TnT

We caught limits out of Dana Point yesterday and used this recipe last night. Absolutely amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: jspana