Inshore DP "boat record"

love2fishsc

Nov 21, 2010
san clemente
Name
scott
Boat
whaler cc
Took 9 yo grandson (Ben) fishing with his dad Saturday. Launched about 9 am (They had to travel to meet me at the dock). Brought some frozen squid and hoped for the best. I had been out the previous Wed. and it was awful. No fish, windy, cold, etc. Ben was raring to go, he drove my Montauk from the dock out of the harbor. I told him next time he comes the water will be warmer and we'll get a 1/2 scoop.

I explained how we look for signs of life, and use the fish finder. We were about 1/4 mile outside the harbor and he saw kelp, and tons of baitfish. 1st stop, fish on in 30 seconds. Mac. Then another. His dad couldn't catch one. Perfect! We fished that spot for a bit, learned CPR and kept one for bait. We continued for a bit, learned the compass, boat gauges and most importantly, look out for other boaters. Wave runners, UGH.

Anchored up near the red whistler, and fished for the new the boat record. 9! We did it pretty quickly. Had to call it early to go meet his mom and sister at the beach.

I've been on plenty of trips where we've caught everyting. Lot's and big. Never had a trip this much fun. Ben has been hooping with me (and his dad, my son...who is no where near as much fun as my grandson) he's a life long fisherman I'm sure. BTW a lifetime license in CA for someone under 10 is about $1100. I bought one for him. I hope years from now when I'm long gone, he gets a free license and remembers his old grandpa.

No pics, sorry. You've seen smiling 9 yo boys and macs. Water temp 64. Some lot's of boats on Saturday. Didn't seem like much being caught.

Tight lines.

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Must mean C&R, not CPR? Sounds like a great way to get someone "hooked" on our sport! Nice work!

Upvote 0

JK155

• Nov 8, 2019
    California
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Wellcraft 18 Fisherman
    Congratulations on a wonderful trip. Can you be my grandfather and purchase me a lifetime license as well?
    Kidding aside, way to go for making a great memory and smart way to leave a legacy.

Upvote 0

fish&snow

lurker
    May 27, 2014
    Name
    James
    Boat
    Reel Freedom
    Perfect! I love taking my grandson out. Our last trip out, we left the fishing gear behind and went snorkeling at Catalina with his grandma and a go pro!! Best damn memories. He’s 13 years old now and introduces me to his friends as the coolest grandpa ever.

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0