Fat Guy

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 7, 2011
San Clemente
Name
KG
Boat
none
Tuesday was another fishing day for me Tallon. He's 5 and loves everything about the fishing day from making PBJ's, pushing the cart to the slip, getting bait, checking the seals outside the harbor, going fast in the boat, and fishing of course.........

Our day started pretty normally. We cleared the harbor around 7:30 and made a wide line towards outside the Domes. Never made it that far. We pretty quickly came across the ponies and birds and began trolling with about 10 other boats. Too much traffic for us, so we just trolled our way south a bit. Within about 20 minutes, we were 8.3 miles from DP and we came across a patty and decided to fish it. As we were drifting, I looked around and noticed that there were lots of patties all around us. Pretty quickly, we pull in a very nice YT and go for another drift.

This is where it got good. As we were drifting, I notice some birds to the south of us doing their thing. They kept getting closer and closer and before you knew it, you could see breaking fish. The birds and fish pretty much marched right through us with no regard for the boat. Tallon and I both hook up and it's game on! We are certainly outmatched on this double and sort of luckily, Tallon's fish spit the hook. The Fat Guy below landed this fatty after a good 45 minutes.

The birds never got more than 100yds away and we went for another shot. We pulled up to the side of them and dumped a pile of bait. The whole mess of breaking fish came to us again. This time I was the only angler. I hooked up and proceeded to get spooled to the knot on my Talica 8II. Break off....

Back we go again. Find the birds, dump a net full and here they come. Little man is quickly on and they passed me by, so I let him take his licks.
30 minutes later, he's literally crying but doesn't want to hand it off.

I plead with him a bit and he gives in. This fish would not get closer than 10 feet to the boat. As we are 2 stepping around the boat for all this time, he looks at me and says, "Dad, we're a good team!" Dad moment of the year, then we finally gaff that bastard.....

Did I mention not another boat around us all day???

We told Mom that we'd be in early because Tallon has skateboard camp at 4, so we cleaned fish, we cleaned the boat and my personal chauffeur took us in. When he stands on the cooler, it's the perfect height!

Stop at the fuel dock for gas and ice cream and we're in the slip around 2:30. That ended up being twice as cool as the tropical whatever came in and did the thunder, lightning and rain thing. Some things just work out that way!

Our HBR panga burnt 6 gallons for the day and ran like a champ as always!

WaterDawg

Jun 28, 2008
Ladera Ranch, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
17' Whaler
Tuesday was another fishing day for me Tallon. He's 5 and loves everything about the fishing day from making PBJ's, pushing the cart to the slip, getting bait, checking the seals outside the harbor, going fast in the boat, and fishing of course.........

Our day started pretty normally. We cleared the harbor around 7:30 and made a wide line towards outside the Domes. Never made it that far. We pretty quickly came across the ponies and birds and began trolling with about 10 other boats. Too much traffic for us, so we just trolled our way south a bit. Within about 20 minutes, we were 8.3 miles from DP and we came across a patty and decided to fish it. As we were drifting, I looked around and noticed that there were lots of patties all around us. Pretty quickly, we pull in a very nice YT and go for another drift.

This is where it got good. As we were drifting, I notice some birds to the south of us doing their thing. They kept getting closer and closer and before you knew it, you could see breaking fish. The birds and fish pretty much marched right through us with no regard for the boat. Tallon and I both hook up and it's game on! We are certainly outmatched on this double and sort of luckily, Tallon's fish spit the hook. The Fat Guy below landed this fatty after a good 45 minutes.

The birds never got more than 100yds away and we went for another shot. We pulled up to the side of them and dumped a pile of bait. The whole mess of breaking fish came to us again. This time I was the only angler. I hooked up and proceeded to get spooled to the knot on my Talica 8II. Break off....

Back we go again. Find the birds, dump a net full and here they come. Little man is quickly on and they passed me by, so I let him take his licks.
30 minutes later, he's literally crying but doesn't want to hand it off.

I plead with him a bit and he gives in. This fish would not get closer than 10 feet to the boat. As we are 2 stepping around the boat for all this time, he looks at me and says, "Dad, we're a good team!" Dad moment of the year, then we finally gaff that bastard.....

Did I mention not another boat around us all day???

We told Mom that we'd be in early because Tallon has skateboard camp at 4, so we cleaned fish, we cleaned the boat and my personal chauffeur took us in. When he stands on the cooler, it's the perfect height!

Stop at the fuel dock for gas and ice cream and we're in the slip around 2:30. That ended up being twice as cool as the tropical whatever came in and did the thunder, lightning and rain thing. Some things just work out that way!

Our HBR panga burnt 6 gallons for the day and ran like a champ as always!
Geez he could've been home playing video games, what's wrong with you Dad? Seriously I'm trying to think of what could make a better day for father and son than that....nothing comes to mind.. Congrats!

carloscafe

Jan 9, 2012
Sacramento
Name
Darrin
Boat
N/A
Question; Tallon what did you do on summer vacation?
Answer: Drove dads boat, caught tuna and went skate boarding
Ah the days of being 5 and having a great dad!!

Reactions: Pgnracr and Fat Guy

benderman

Jun 28, 2015
Name
dave bender
Boat
25ft hydrasport cc
Enjoy the moments>>>>before you know it they are texting you from Iraq or AFG wanting to know how the surf is or where the fish are.
Good on you DAD
From one who has shared your enjoyment and pride
Dave

tom cindric

Tom-broke-off
Jun 17, 2015
Lake elsinore
Name
all she's got
Boat
22 key largo / 2670 Glacier Bay
That's great.. I started my son fishing hard and driving the boat at the same age. By the time he was 10 he caught a 125lb marlin and had a one day score of 23 tuna. Now he's. 20 back for summer from collage and we'll be heading out for some of that action tomorrow. Thanks for the post...

muledeer07

Jun 30, 2008
USA
Name
Wade
Boat
None
Awesome report, Can't think of a more perfect Dad. Tallon will be a bad ass. Were going to be reading about his exploits for years to come.

c-nut

Fishing addict
Mar 2, 2003
Murrieta, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
TBA
Awesome! My son is 18 and now can match me fish for fish! Kudos to you guys! Love to see the life vest, on a side note I started wearing mine at cruise speed ever since me and a buddy ran over the back of a whale, engine cavitated but we were ok. Scared us both into life vest at cruise all the time now. Just sayin

Roll the Bones

Dr. Fong
Jul 15, 2008
Operating Room
Name
Dr. Fong
Boat
Hewescraft 250 Alaskan
Watching your kid run a boat is so much fun, by the time my son was 10 he could handle our boat like a seasoned pro. Totally trust him to do anything I could do. Great report and thanks for taking a kid fishing!

Reactions: Fat Guy