Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    Went on a last minute trip yesterday out of Dana Point.

Went to 14 Mile Bank but expected nothing, saw nothing. Offshore temps were 62 degrees at best.

Headed south to San Clemente inshore looking for kelp (still very little of it down there).

As we're putting around, saw a nice dude on an earlier model Parker center console. Pulled up to him to chat and he told us he was fishing a structure for bass up in the water column. Sure enough, my sonar map showed a point around us. He ended up leaving but we fished that structure for hours and caught tons of bass and barracuda. Thanks dude!

We fished other areas like the rock pile by San Clemente pier, the red buoy and kelp line, but not much happening there.

I moved a little north to one of my sweet spots and caught more bass. We actually had two keepers.

Lures: Lucky Craft Flash Minnows, Surface Iron, Zoom Flukes

Bait: Sardines but the random small anchovies were better because the fish could swallow the bait and get hooked so much easier.

Overall, we caught around 50 fish. Released most and kept some for food and art.

If you're looking for fun inshore fishing, I'd throw something short with trebles or an assist hook. Much better hook up ratio.

This is NOT the keeper bass.

PXL_20210626_181510092.jpg

JK155

• Nov 8, 2019
    California
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Wellcraft 18 Fisherman
    That's cool hearing the fishing was decent for you. Congratulations on a safe trip and bassing fun.
    I don't know what to think about 14 mile bank. I went there, found it, saw the cool depth readings thinking there was an underwater mountain beneath me which was the only exciting thing, then came home. It would be cool to hear if anyone has other experiences at lasuen.

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    That's cool hearing the fishing was decent for you. Congratulations on a safe trip and bassing fun.
    I don't know what to think about 14 mile bank. I went there, found it, saw the cool depth readings thinking there was an underwater mountain beneath me which was the only exciting thing, then came home. It would be cool to hear if anyone has other experiences at lasuen.

I have caught one fish on the troll at the 14-mile bank. I treat that spot like a mailbox I don't get important mail at.

Best offshore fishing chances are always out of San Diego and south towards Mexico.

• Haha
    Reactions: JK155
    Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    I have caught one fish on the troll at the 14-mile bank. I treat that spot like a mailbox I don't get important mail at.

Best offshore fishing chances are always out of San Diego and south towards Mexico.

I caught a 13 pound dorado at the 14 Mile Bank once. However, that was 13 years ago... :D

Thanks for the report!

Reactions: Shewillbemine