Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    Been a while since I posted a report, hopefully this helps out for anyone that can get out this week.

We've been doing our best to keep our social distance even with DP Harbor being open. The rain and wind the last month certainly helped that.

We hadn't been on the boat (or anywhere other than work or the super market) for a month so like the rest of the world with an 80 degree sunny forecast for Saturday I decided I was going to get to the dock early and get the kids out of the water.

We also brought our new pup Dale (13 months) who the last time we were on the boat decided he wanted to try swimming in the ocean for the first time and jumped off while underway in 3,000' of water. Thank god he's a good swimmer lol.

Our new guy Dale :)

1588008238246.png

1588008297362.png

We got down there at 6 and were greeted with pea soup, 10' visibility fog and a cold stiff S wind at 10 knots. Shit ... I just wanted a nice day sitting on the boat with the family... wasn't even really concerned with fishing. My wife was not ecstatic lol.

Since I have radar we decided to go for it. I was honestly undecided on what to do but after hearing how many people were going to Cat I decided to stay local and see if I could get the bass to chew for the kiddos since we had more than enough rock fish in freezer.

We grabbed a great scoop of mixed dines and started to putt out of the harbor. Stupidity was on full display.

There were kayakers everywhere in the channel, I watched one almost get run over .... They were everywhere just outside the break wall. If you were running full speed there was zero chance you would be able to stop before you hit them if you didn't have radar because there is no way you were seeing them in time. Not one had any kind of lighting. Ready every DP report from this weekend and every single one makes a note of almost hitting a kayaker.

Lots and lots of boats running around without their lights on, no radar. At one point we were on anchor and a boat full throttle missed us by 10'. I saw him coming on radar but by the time I would have gotten the anchor it would have been to late. If you don't have a radar at least slow down and put your lights on. I don't care if you die but the responsible people shouldn't have to put in danger because you're a moron ...

Ok fishing...

Everywhere I drove was some of the worst red tide I've seen here with like 1 foot of visibility, unfortunately depth didn't seem to make any difference in water clarity. Based on that and the idea I wanted to get away from everyone I decided to run north and tuck in shallow on a rock in 25'.

I pulled up to a strong South Wind and swell and a screaming current running down hill ... perfect wind against tide conditions, shit brown water that was 61.5 degrees... I was sure it was going to be a true stroke job but with the fog and idiots I had zero desire to run around.

Boy was wrong. Red Tide, Cold Water, Wind Against Tide... it didn't matter they wanted to die. It was true full speed wide open bass fishing for a really really nice grade of fish for the next three hours. A bait a fish fishing. With the wonky wind and current I had to re-anchor every time something changed but as long as i kept us and our baits uptide of the structure it was just stupid.

IMG_7234.JPG

IMG_7236.JPG

IMG_7238.jpg
    IMG_7235.JPG

IMG_1687.JPG

IMG_7243.jpg
    IMG_1657.JPG
    IMG_1673.jpeg

We easily had 100 fish.

Weird part is around noon the fog lifted, the water cleaned up, the temp jumped to 65.5 (WOW) and they stopped biting. There were a million boats out so we decided to just head back to the dock.

The harbor was a bit of a cluster, a LONG line at the fuel dock for sure.

I'm not going to comment on the status of social distancing in the harbor but it looked like 4th of July.

It was really nice to get out of the house for something other than groceries or work. I'm extra happy we got something to bite.

IMG_7235.JPG

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

beerman1

Almost A Member
    Jul 14, 2014
    OC
    Name
    eric
    Boat
    triumph 17 CC
    Great report and public service message about careless boaters. I used to Kayak Fish out of DPH and can't count the number of times I was almost skewered by Idiots

Reactions: Northeastfshman
    Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    Great report and public service message about careless boaters. I used to Kayak Fish out of DPH and can't count the number of times I was almost skewered by Idiots

Agreed, Kayakers also need to be careful. If the fog is so thick you can't see 10' you probably shouldn't be out in a transited area in a Kayak. To many people are running around with no radar. A light would also helpful.

I get it, it was supposed to be 80 degrees out, we've all been couped up and we just want to get out but use the best possible caution you can based on the situation.

It doesn't get any better than this. A man, a son, a dog, and a boat. T

I still pinch myself everyday. I grew up in a tiny box in NYC and I still can't believe how lucky I am. Dale is awesome. I've never had a dog like him. He comes everywhere and listens. He doesn't run off, he stays with me even if other dogs or even if an animal runs bye. I've been fighting getting another dog forever ... so glad I caved.

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat
    arima - the SLIDER
    Kayaks, paddle boarders a rowers are always around the harbor for about a mile. I cruise though that area slow even if there is no fog.

A lot/most guys in kayaks are hardcore fisherman. Either they don't want the expense of a boat or can't afford it. I guess some like the exercise. It's up to me to be respectful of others, go slow and keep an eye out, especially if its limited visibility. Radar or no radar, doesn't mater.

Upvote 0
    Apr 22, 2004
    Point Loma
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    2530 Parker
    Been a while since I posted a report, hopefully this helps out for anyone that can get out this week.

We've been doing our best to keep our social distance even with DP Harbor being open. The rain and wind the last month certainly helped that.

We hadn't been on the boat (or anywhere other than work or the super market) for a month so like the rest of the world with an 80 degree sunny forecast for Saturday I decided I was going to get to the dock early and get the kids out of the water.

We also brought our new pup Dale (13 months) who the last time we were on the boat decided he wanted to try swimming in the ocean for the first time and jumped off while underway in 3,000' of water. Thank god he's a good swimmer lol.

Our new guy Dale :)

View attachment 1138784
    View attachment 1138785
    View attachment 1138786

We got down there at 6 and were greeted with pea soup, 10' visibility fog and a cold stiff S wind at 10 knots. Shit ... I just wanted a nice day sitting on the boat with the family... wasn't even really concerned with fishing. My wife was not ecstatic lol.

Since I have radar we decided to go for it. I was honestly undecided on what to do but after hearing how many people were going to Cat I decided to stay local and see if I could get the bass to chew for the kiddos since we had more than enough rock fish in freezer.

We grabbed a great scoop of mixed dines and started to putt out of the harbor. Stupidity was on full display.

There were kayakers everywhere in the channel, I watched one almost get run over .... They were everywhere just outside the break wall. If you were running full speed there was zero chance you would be able to stop before you hit them if you didn't have radar because there is no way you were seeing them in time. Not one had any kind of lighting. Ready every DP report from this weekend and every single one makes a note of almost hitting a kayaker.

Lots and lots of boats running around without their lights on, no radar. At one point we were on anchor and a boat full throttle missed us by 10'. I saw him coming on radar but by the time I would have gotten the anchor it would have been to late. If you don't have a radar at least slow down and put your lights on. I don't care if you die but the responsible people shouldn't have to put in danger because you're a moron ...

Ok fishing...

Everywhere I drove was some of the worst red tide I've seen here with like 1 foot of visibility, unfortunately depth didn't seem to make any difference in water clarity. Based on that and the idea I wanted to get away from everyone I decided to run north and tuck in shallow on a rock in 25'.

I pulled up to a strong South Wind and swell and a screaming current running down hill ... perfect wind against tide conditions, shit brown water that was 61.5 degrees... I was sure it was going to be a true stroke job but with the fog and idiots I had zero desire to run around.

Boy was wrong. Red Tide, Cold Water, Wind Against Tide... it didn't matter they wanted to die. It was true full speed wide open bass fishing for a really really nice grade of fish for the next three hours. A bait a fish fishing. With the wonky wind and current I had to re-anchor every time something changed but as long as i kept us and our baits uptide of the structure it was just stupid.

View attachment 1138788
    View attachment 1138790
    View attachment 1138791View attachment 1138793
    View attachment 1138796
    View attachment 1138792View attachment 1138794View attachment 1138795

We easily had 100 fish.

Weird part is around noon the fog lifted, the water cleaned up, the temp jumped to 65.5 (WOW) and they stopped biting. There were a million boats out so we decided to just head back to the dock.

The harbor was a bit of a cluster, a LONG line at the fuel dock for sure.

I'm not going to comment on the status of social distancing in the harbor but it looked like 4th of July.

It was really nice to get out of the house for something other than groceries or work. I'm extra happy we got something to bite.

View attachment 1138789
    Simply Awesome! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Upvote 0

WilliamL

Aug 1, 2018
    HB
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    21 WA, nothing special
    Great report, thank you. I was at Cat all weekend with the wife and kids, tried to hide in a cove, Whites was more crowded than 4th of July, it was insane. Tried trolling but hard to miss the weekend morons from driving up on you no matter what you were doing. Heading back Sunday morning and couldn't believe the amount of boats flying around with no radar, you could barely see, people are flat out stupid. Very scared for my family, we should have stayed another day to avoid the S Show. Be safe out there, opening season is clearly in affect.

Upvote 0