https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Report:

Forecast was a day off. The wind event was yesterday. Was calm in the morning, however by 9am the usual W/NW winds started. Always happens here at DP on offshore days. We fished for a nice tank of Spanish Mackerel for an hour. Original plan was to go offshore and look around. Opted to go down past the domes and fish the beach due to what I just mentioned. While fishing heard the small craft warnings.

We caught a range of unkeepable fish. WSB, Sandbass, Calicos, Whitefish. All under size. Water was around 65-66 degrees at most spots. A little bit of current. Visibility about 8-10 feet, green.

On the way back to the harbor we found lots of Anchovy bait balls in 100 feet. A few spattering larger marks on each stop. We threw jigs and got a few bumps but nothing stuck. Muddy tried a few Macks for nothing as well.

Human Interest:

Luca is my buddy Muddy Mud Skipper’s doggy.

I’ve had “the SLIDER” for about 3+ months now. She has been in the shop twice for minor repairs, still time off the water. She ran great today. (She was a fresh water Oregon Boat. I bought her from an older guy who finally decided she needed to go. I'd guess after the fact, the last five years she sat). Love the boat and the way she handles, is what I expected. I believe this was only my fifth trip; three of which Muddy has gone. Muddy can’t drive so I’ve picked up him and Luca up the night before fishing to save time in the morning. When we have gone fishing, Luca stayed at my house while we’re on the water. That doggy bent all the window blinds in my house and chewed up the few wood ones.Scratched up the sides of front door, shit and pissed at will.

I invested in a doggy life vest, Muddy dosed Luca on Dramamine. Problem solved. Better than that, this doggy had a great time on the water! Or should I say in the water. While my buddy is making bait, I’m at the wheel, I hear him yell something about the dog. I look up and the little bastard is about 20 yards upswell off my stern. Dogs swimming away pointed towards Catalina. I fire up the boat and reverse towards Luca and stop about five yards away. “Call your dog”, “treat or whatever works”. “Not going to run him over”. Luca swam back.

It was great to have a dog in the boat again. My dog Biscuit, gone now for 12 years, fished with me 80% of the time. She fished with me for 18 years. She loved barking at the sealions, so a trip to the bell buoy was a must for every trip. I would fish with the clickers on just to get her going. She barked her ass off when the pole was bent; a regular rooting section. Over the years I pulled at least five hooks out of her mouth from her chasing down hooked fish. While driving around in the little skiff, she pressed into the side of my calf to a point of being painful. Had to be right by the master.

Blackbass.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Thanks for the report LJ glad you got some time out on the water!

God willing; next year I will be meeting you in SD for some buddy boating. I will surely need the help.

I expected these things would happen owning a new boat, along with rigging, getting to know my newly installed electronics, bait system and boat handling. Best to be safe than sorry. Don't want to see a thread about the SLIDER threading the needle into a cave.

Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
We are about today and trolled all the way to Oceanside. Nothing around but thos huge bait balls and dolphin.

Reactions: the SLIDER
Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

Nice report LJ. Used to bring my dog (about the same size) on my boat all the time. She preferred the yellow life vest, though. Picky lady.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Thanks for the report. That is one high-flalutin' doggie life jacket. The Arima looks great. Nice job!

Don't want to see a thread about the SLIDER threading the needle into a cave.

"They're always pulling bodies outta the caves. No one listens to Turtle...."
    -- Turtle, from the movie North Shore

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Report:

Forecast was a day off. The wind event was yesterday. Was calm in the morning, however by 9am the usual W/NW winds started. Always happens here at DP on offshore days. We fished for a nice tank of Spanish Mackerel for an hour. Original plan was to go offshore and look around. Opted to go down past the domes and fish the beach due to what I just mentioned. While fishing heard the small craft warnings.

We caught a range of unkeepable fish. WSB, Sandbass, Calicos, Whitefish. All under size. Water was around 65-66 degrees at most spots. A little bit of current. Visibility about 8-10 feet, green.

On the way back to the harbor we found lots of Anchovy bait balls in 100 feet. A few spattering larger marks on each stop. We threw jigs and got a few bumps but nothing stuck. Muddy tried a few Macks for nothing as well.

Human Interest:

Luca is my buddy Muddy Mud Skipper’s doggy.

I’ve had “the SLIDER” for about 3+ months now. She has been in the shop twice for minor repairs, still time off the water. She ran great today. (She was a fresh water Oregon Boat. I bought her from an older guy who finally decided she needed to go. I'd guess after the fact, the last five years she sat). Love the boat and the way she handles, is what I expected. I believe this was only my fifth trip; three of which Muddy has gone. Muddy can’t drive so I’ve picked up him and Luca up the night before fishing to save time in the morning. When we have gone fis on hing, Luca stayed at my house while we’re on the water. That doggy bent all the window blinds in my house and chewed up the few wood ones.Scratched up the sides of front door, shit and pissed at will.

I invested in a doggy life vest, Muddy dosed Luca on Dramamine. Problem solved. Better than that, this doggy had a great time on the water! Or should I say in the water. While my buddy is making bait, I’m at the wheel, I hear him yell something about the dog. I look up and the little bastard is about 20 yards upswell off my stern. Dogs swimming away pointed towards Catalina. I fire up the boat and reverse towards Luca and stop about five yards away. “Call your dog”, “treat or whatever works”. “Not going to run him over”. Luca swam back.

It was great to have a dog in the boat again. My dog Biscuit, gone now for 12 years, fished with me 80% of the time. She fished with me for 18 years. She loved barking at the sealions, so a trip to the bell buoy was a must for every trip. I would fish with the clickers on just to get her going. She barked her ass off when the pole was bent; a regular rooting section. Over the years I pulled at least five hooks out of her mouth from her chasing down hooked fish. While driving around in the little skiff, she pressed into the side of my calf to a point of being painful. Had to be right by the master.

View attachment 1078052
    Loved the read, old skiff picture took me back, love it when Spanish Mackerel are in the bait tank, and always hated losing a family member and in your case Biscuit, my sincere condolences!!!!!

Upvote 0