Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Looked like this.

P1020300.JPG

P1020303.JPG

Great to get out today. Plan was to make bait, since it’s the only thing I’m good at. Know that the mackerel have been hanging deep. Well the mark I got today were Lizard Fish and tiny Sand Dabs. Good for Butt right?

IMG_1383.JPG

Stayed out in about 275-350. Caught a couple of Sculpin, 10” threw them back. The Larger model Sand Dabs I kept. My yearly Trout dinner. I was fishing my bait catching stick with a Penn 500, 20 lb/ mono.

P1020305.JPG

While grabbing my first Corona, “push”, I turn around to see the pole bit in the holder. Kinda bent, no line going out. I swing and proceed to reel. Feels like a flat fish, docile with strength. I get it about halfway up then place the pole in the holder, get the GoPro in case it’s the right kind.

I saw her before she saw me. When she saw me, she had to leave, quickly. She did come back to say goodbye. Both hooks on the dropper were gone, just 2 lines from each of the two hooks. I believe both hooks were in her and she came up fairly easy. Never got a great look even though she was only 5 feet down. Looked to be about 7-8 foot shark. Very silver, streamlined with the typical broad head, fairly girthy. Not a Blue, not a Thresher, too thin for Mako. Fun to pull on. At the end of the video on the port/stern you can see the boil from the fin.

I had a lot of fun, so blessed.

I edited the post this morning 3/29. cool if you want to unlike.

Friend told me about this video. It's from a Christian right wing point of view. Some stops along the way since it's 1.5 hours. The first part is information and truthful, what your not hearing. the second part is about replacing fear with hope

16:00 virus
21:30 purchasing of ports by China
26:00 finances - back to work by Easter
33:15 What to do
58:30 the Christian prospective

Thanks to all the folks in the medical profession who go out to the front lines to heal people.

Thanks to all the people who are still working and providing the essential needs.

Thanks to all the government people who are protecting and serving.

Thanks to the politicians for coming together for the stimulus package.

Thanks to all of you who are sacrificing your freedoms for a season.

Last edited:

longboard85

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 14, 2011
La mesa ca
Name
cody
Boat
17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
Thanks for the report and video LJ I'm glad you were able to get out on the water!

Reactions: the SLIDER

dktool

2459 Trophy Offshore
Aug 11, 2010
Covina, Ca.
Name
Dean
Boat
1989 Bayliner 2459 Trophy Off Shore
Thanks for the video, it's nice to know the ocean still looks the same as it did before the world fell off its axis.

hobiefish

Mar 16, 2007
chino
Name
duane
Boat
Sea-Pro 186cc & Honda Aquatrax
Thanks for the report. I kayak fished out of Newport. Touch fishing but caught a legal sand bass in 240' of water. Never caught one that deep before.

I never knew that anyone used Lizard fish for bait. I hate those things.

bajachild

Jul 13, 2005
so. cal
Name
mike
Boat
2019 Montauk 170
Glad to know the launch is still open. Was it crazy crowded? I'm thinking of going tomorrow
I launched the whaler today at DP at about 830. No people. Pulled it out at 230. No people. Cops on the water just waved. Flat water almost all day. Fishing was slooooowwww.

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
Good on you for getting out. That was a big boil off your stern in the video! Small sand dabs make excellent ling cod bait. Just saying......8-)

I have used lizard fish as bait for halibut and never got a bite, but I hear it can be effective at times.