Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
There is exactly one feature I like on scotty downriggers and that is the momentary up option which worked great for getting just off the bottom when you are dragging.
I like Cannons but unless you install a custom switch they don’t do that.
Interested to hear how this other brand works and what features it has.
Good input. I'll check for that.

And I haven't committed yet but if I pull the trigger there will definitely be a full report.

RazorJack

May 20, 2013
Hansville, WA
Name
Nick
Boat
19' Arima SR
Do what you want, its your money. Just seems odd to see the guy who not long ago was borrowing a kicker so that his tiny boat had some sort of safety factor for fishing offshore , scraping by with the dream of making it as a professional fisherman, to be willing to gamble with that kind of money.

Maybe its just me, and zero offense intended, but I cant figure you out lol. Not long ago you were sleeping in your car and scraping by to fish, and now you're considering risking a chunk of money to try a product that may or may not work well and last, instead of sticking with a known commodity. I get the urge to try new things but feel that is something generally better left to more established folks. Just my opinion of course

Those might be great. They also might break at Westport and there will be nobody there to provide a spare part. I'm not a giant Scotty fan myself, but the biggest selling point to me is that if something goes wrong on the water you will no doubt find someone who has the part or knows how to fix it. Plus EVERY store up here sells Scotty parts.

If it ain't broke, dont fix it I say. And if it's a Scotty, when it does break you CAN fix it.

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
@Hard Chargin' are You ever going chinook/blackmouth fishing in the PS or SJI with your riggers?
I don't ever really fish deep in the Islands and I don't ever fish PS. I have fished north of the islands in the past but I tend to stay MA6 and west. I fish Hein frequently. Not to say that I won't in the future SJI is not one of my standard fisheries.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
If you fish deep with spectra and a 15-20 lb weight,the Scotty spools will break.

Adjust line guide so braid build up in the center of spool. Problem solved.

I fish 300' deep with 20 and 25lb balls. Monterey Bay, CA.

Using them out of the box I broke a spools every two years. The line and pressure was building up on the bottoms. Since adjusting line guide no problems.

Even when breaking spools, it comes on slow and you have plenty of time to call and have a new spool sent for FREE with no down time.

Wild Bill

Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
The spool breaking thing is overblown with scotty’s. 5 years plus now fishing 600’ of power pro on three 2106’s with no cracked spools. Pay attention to your equipment, when a spool starts running wonky figure it out before it breaks. I personally keep a spare spool all ready to go and can swap it out in 10 minutes or so. Later at home or at port pull braid off push halves back together and redo arbor with hd duct tape or some other material to keep braid from getting in parting line. I usually can go 3 years or better between swap outs. Ymmv but Scottys are pretty much dirt simple and only require occasional maintenance.

Reactions: PSULion

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
This thread had digressed pretty far guys. I personally have nothing against Scotty's and I understand now that many of you love yours and thanks for the input on them. I most specifically wanted to know what people thought about those Magnum Metalz I posted. Some of you brought up some very good points that I will investigate and consider and I appreciate it. When/if I decide to upgrade to electric I will have a lot to think about.

I appreciate all the feedback here.

Keep Chargin'

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
This thread had digressed pretty far guys.
Andre - Welcome to BD during the winter...........alot of good advice, but it's worth what you pay for it.....keep chargin'

NOW, BD'rs let's turn our attention to fishing in BC waters....haven't seen this thread pop-up for at least 6 months now....good stuff...

Last edited:
Reactions: troller w

troller w

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 14, 2010
Anacortes
Name
Dennis
Boat
Troller 190 Hewescraft Searunner
NOW, BD'rs let's turn our attention to fishing in BC waters....haven't seen this thread pop-up for at least 6 months now....good stuff...
[/QUOTE]
50F391CE-ED62-4595-BD53-1E966961EB15.gif

lol

Reactions: frozenherring

fishing fanatic

Well-Known "Member"
May 12, 2008
Alger, WA
Name
jason
Boat
28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
Andre, honestly you are sort of the annoying “what if” guy in my opinion. You can’t afford a simple kicker one season and the next want downrigger opinions as though you’re balancing the scale of greatness. Best way to pick what you’re going to want is experience. I hand cranked penns on a 14’ duraboat growing up. That’s what we had and at one point we only had one. As I’ve progressed I’ve learned and seen the pros and cons of each and every brand and style. not trying to be an asshole but also feel like you look for odd attention.

Ohhh and if you buy a Scotty and take care of it even semi routinely you’ll be more than satisfied. Good luck man

Reactions: Hard Chargin'

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Andre, honestly you are sort of the annoying “what if” guy in my opinion. You can’t afford a simple kicker one season and the next want downrigger opinions as though you’re balancing the scale of greatness. Best way to pick what you’re going to want is experience. I hand cranked penns on a 14’ duraboat growing up. That’s what we had and at one point we only had one. As I’ve progressed I’ve learned and seen the pros and cons of each and every brand and style. not trying to be an asshole but also feel like you look for odd attention.

Ohhh and if you buy a Scotty and take care of it even semi routinely you’ll be more than satisfied. Good luck man
It's fine man. I don't explain myself (I don't really usually feel the need to) and what you have seen and deduced is perfectly reasonable. The difference is that last summer and fall I was unemployed (purposefully) now I have work coming out of my ears. Stock up in times of plenty, trim back in the times of want.

I certainly don't think you're an ass, you just don't know the whole story and so you can only judge based on what you know. And you don't know the whole story because I don't share it. Not to be secretive but because it's just not everyone's business.

Keep Chargin' man.

Andre

RGS

Mar 16, 2012
Poulsbo, Wa
Name
Rob
Boat
16' HiLaker & 24' Fiberform
Interesting looking downrigger. The motor looks like they are using a wheelchair motor. When I made my downrigger that is what I used. I tested it with a 50lb ball and it had no problem picking it up but use 25lb ones.