Downrigger Rod Holders

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by Hewes OP, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Hewes OP

Hewes OP Night Crawlers & Powerbait Baby!!

Name:
    Geoff
    Boat:
    Hewes OceanPro "TIN-ASS-CITY" & Starcraft 1648 Mod V for the ducks
    Ok I cant be the only guy running Scotty riggers with a short wife. I'm trying to come up with something that she can reach. She's only 5' 2" with boots on, and she has a very hard time getting the rod out of the holder having to reach over the top of the rigger. I was thinking of going to the Orca type holders with an extension but not sure if that would work. The cannon layout is much better for this due to the fact that the rod holder is behind the rigger not in front. That seems like a very expensive fix, and I like my Scotties. Any ideas or pictures of you have a fix for this would be appreciated.

2. t_dub

t_dub I remember when I used to fish.............

Name:
    Ty
    Boat:
    20' Hewescraft Searunner
    Orca with the extension. My wife is 5-4 and doesn't have a problem. I'll try and remember to post a pic later this afternoon when I get home if no one else does.

Grady 265 likes this.
  3. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
  4. Reel Hooker

Reel Hooker I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Benjamin
    Boat:
    Parker 2320 Long Cabin 'REEL HOOKER'
    just use the rod holder mounted on your gunnel, or add one to your gunnel. You don't need to run your rod on the down rigger. problem solved

5. Wild Bill

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    Well the only problem I see with this and the solution I proposed is that it is nice to lift boom and have rod come along for the ride when trying to avoid weeds and other debris. I use this technique all the time so not having rod holder lift with boom would be a no go for me. After cracking one of the rod holder mounts on one of my scotty 2106’s and almost losing a rod, I have retrofitted some ss rod holders on my booms and they do end up a bit closer inboard than the stock setup. I can also provide a pic towards the end of the week if interested.

6. Reel Hooker

Reel Hooker I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Benjamin
    Boat:
    Parker 2320 Long Cabin 'REEL HOOKER'
    interesting

7. FVSerenity

FVSerenity Captain

Name:
    Rod
    Boat:
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    This gets my vote, if you have rod holders mounted on the rails just put the rods in those not on the downrigger

8. spenceralbright

spenceralbright Salt Addict

Name:
    Spencer
    Boat:
    17' Olympic
    Scotty Orca with extension. You can adjust the angle as close as you want to the boat and adjust the rod angle separately. All you need to do is lift the rod straight up and out. And you can lift the boom to get away from kelp and the rod moves with it. I much prefer this over the tubes where you have to reach way away from the boat to get the rod out. Initially I was a bit nervous about the extension twist but mine have been going strong for 4 years.
    upload_2019-9-10_12-23-27.png

9. punted coho

punted coho Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    josh
    Boat:
    Yes
    41575A56-E3BE-4B70-8614-0EF0399767A9.jpeg I have scotty orcas mounted on the booms on extensions. Moves rod inboard a bit and you don’t have to slide the rod out, just grab it and pull. Short wife has no problem. Pay no attention to 8-1/2 month pregnant wife in the pic.

liltrouble and BugeaterInWa like this.
  10. Grady 265

Grady 265 Member

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Grady-White 265 Express "Reel Screamer"
    i moved to the orcas with the scotty extension this year to help "the little people". worked great. no complaints at all about getting the rod out of the holder. much easier than trying to lean out and pull the rod outward to clear it.

11. fishbadger

fishbadger Member

Name:
    fishbadger
    Boat:
    .Grady Gulfstream 232 "Herd of Turtles"
    I know what you mean, there has to be a better way, and all the Scotty extenders, adapters and such, are all plastic, and have a habit of breaking (with the exception of the Striker). So I just use the flush mounted gunnel rod holders. And I just grab the rod and move the rigger to steer around weeds, not a big deal. They're a fantastic company, but it would be nice if Scotty had a better (more ergonomic and with less plastic at the stress points) solution for this.

fb

12. Hewes OP

Hewes OP Night Crawlers & Powerbait Baby!!

Name:
    Geoff
    Boat:
    Hewes OceanPro "TIN-ASS-CITY" & Starcraft 1648 Mod V for the ducks
    Thanks guys!! that setup is exactly what was in my head and by the pictures it looks like it will work

13. Wild Bill

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    They are a great company but I really think the boom mounted rod holders should be stainless steel as I have retro fitted to mine. It has made them easier to grab than the stock setup but still would be a bit challenging for someone 5’2”. Hell Brian with that 8’ wingspan of your’s the reach is the least of your worries, lol.

fishbadger likes this.
  14. Dleonardo

Dleonardo Newbie

Name:
    Darren Leonardo
    Boat:
    Case of the Mondays
    I'll second the Orca with the extension. I just picked one up about a month ago for wife who had same issues. She loves em.

15. hawksfan75

hawksfan75 More questions than answers

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Hydra Sports 2200 DC
  16. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    Vacancy
    Have her run the boat. You handle the rods :)

17. TeamRedaFishing

TeamRedaFishing Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Alumaweld
    This set up works great. You can even change the direction of the rod at the boom.

IMG_5704.JPG IMG_5705.JPG

18. “biteme”

“biteme” Killin kings

Name:
    Brian B
    Boat:
    26 osprey
    Does 2short have anything for sale?

Hewes OP and Grady226 like this.
  19. Grady226

Grady226 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    22' Grady White
    FYI...1 of my tubes broke off 2 years ago but we saved the FethaStyk/Marquasa combo....Sent an email with picks to Scotty....A month or 2 later I got a replacement part no charge!

20. Hunter Dan

Hunter Dan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    MUGWUMP
    I run the extension on both corner downriggers. I kept the original boom mount holder , as I prefer the tube style holder. I drop them down until they are almost touching the top of the rigger lid. I did this when my niece and nephew were small and reach was an issue. Recently we added an 1106 to the center on the raised pedestal and reaching up high over the fish box was an issue, so added an extender. Still a reach, for men! Played with a universal mount and a Scotty Powerlock. Better, but not perfect. So, I added another extender. From the boom under the rigger motor. Angle the next extender up behind the rigger and rod holder is no higher than the top of the rigger and inside the boat to boot! It was VERY wobbly. So dad fashioned a small bracket that attaches to the pivot bolt and a stiff rubber leash secures the extenders to the rigger base. Everything is secure and tilts the way it is supposed to. Been fooling around with different set ups all summer on the new rigger and love the double extender. Been using this set up for three weeks now.