Downrigger fishing San Diego

jaysbay

Apr 29, 2021
bonita
Name
Johnny Santos
Boat
none
I recently bought a boat and it came with 2 electric Scotty downriggers with stainless wire, I know absolutely nothing about downriggers, I use to have a couple electric reels back in the days for fishing rock cod here off the coast of San Diego and they worked fine and save a lot of time. Was wondering if they could be used as a alternative to a electric reel ?.I don't know how much weight they can lift but looking at some of the weights that were left on the boat i would think they would lift a few big rockfish from the deep .Otherwise I will just put them up for sale or trade for some fishing gear.

Johnny

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
When I had my boat we would use down riggers for fishing Threshers , we used 10lb weights and fished the down riggers 80 to 100 ft depths .
never used them for anything else here... but you could for deep BF..
hope that helps a little...

Upvote 0

jaysbay

Apr 29, 2021
bonita
Name
Johnny Santos
Boat
none
Down riggers are a great tool on a boat . From threshers to tuna. Slow trolling for yellows etc too
I noticed your name Madrugador, Back in the day there was a seiner name that, We often fished the same areas and I knew the owner of the boat and some of the crew.
Thanks for the reply
Johnny

Reactions: madrugador
Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Everything I've kind of read about using for deep dropping for rockfish is that you will burn up the motor. Probably be best to just sell em and use the money to pick up an electric reel if that's all you wanted to use them for.

Upvote 0

jaysbay

Apr 29, 2021
    bonita
    Name
    Johnny Santos
    Boat
    none
    Thanks guys for the replies , I don't see myself fishing for tuna much if any, I think I will try and trade them off for some fishing gear because all my gear is outdated or broken, Told myself I would never buy another boat and 15 years later ,Here i go again.
    Johnny

Upvote 0

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 12, 2006
    Glendora Ca
    Name
    Leon
    Boat
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
    Thanks guys for the replies , I don't see myself fishing for tuna much if any, I think I will try and trade them off for some fishing gear because all my gear is outdated or broken, Told myself I would never buy another boat and 15 years later ,Here i go again.
    Johnny
    Never = fifteen years.

Reactions: padsfan and dcdude
    Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Oh Johnny... the "accepted" use of downriggers in S. CAL / Mexico has been a slow and difficult battle. I too felt the same as you did.... until I visited Hawaii and saw their effective use for many exotic species. My real baptism came in N. CAL.... fishing salmon ... halibut..... tuna..... and swordfish.

I understand the learning curve is long.... but the pay off.... is great. Like any other aspect of fishing.... research.... and first hand experience make it an additional weapon in your box of fishing skills. An answer..... when others won't consider or even try... because its foreign and costs a considerable amount of money and effort to deploy properly. Fish dont make the rules.... people do.

Personally....I'd keep them....put them away for a season ...until your comfortable with the new boat. Proper boat handling is paramount to successful downrigger fishing. Read up... check the gear.... get what you need for your "target" species.... and go. Start simple....you be glad you did.

Upvote 0
    Jul 19, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Name
    ROBERT GEORGE MITCHELL
    Boat
    VEM0906
    Can we talk about these downriggers. I M interested And need for my boat up north.

Please advise. Thanks Rob M

Upvote 0

Crowman

Almost A Member
    Mar 3, 2017
    Northern California
    Name
    Crowman
    Boat
    YES
    I recently bought a boat and it came with 2 electric Scotty downriggers with stainless wire, I know absolutely nothing about downriggers, I use to have a couple electric reels back in the days for fishing rock cod here off the coast of San Diego and they worked fine and save a lot of time. Was wondering if they could be used as a alternative to a electric reel ?.I don't know how much weight they can lift but looking at some of the weights that were left on the boat i would think they would lift a few big rockfish from the deep .Otherwise I will just put them up for sale or trade for some fishing gear.

Johnny
    As someone that has used down riggers for 50 years in Northern Cal and still uses them trolling for salmon it's a NO on using them as an electric reel for rockfish. What you should consider if you troll for yellowtails is trying them. They drop your lure right down to the depth your metering fish at. I have caught salmon regularly down to 150 feet on the wire and without the rigger that would be tough to get down that far trolling with weights on your line. Watch a few video's on how to use them it might make you think there's a use for them in SoCal. Good luck.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Brother.....when / if you decide to keep them... make sure you set up properly for "targeted" species. Example..... puting your BIG Stick....in a salmon rod holder (came with it??).... while using the downrigger for BFT.... is an accident waiting to happen. OR... Not properly adjusting the release clips and having a fish spool your downrigger AND your reel.... simultaneously!! Seen downriggers RIPPED off the transom.... in the blink of an eye. Seen rods ripped out of the flimsy rod stock rod holders.... when they got bit. Read the books.... there's plenty of good ones. Think of it as a "system"....

Anyway no need to reinvent the wheel.... just think it out properly ....ask questions.... even if they're kind of stupid. Its learning 101. Follow the instructions... until your comfortable enough to take it to the next level. Experiment. Your gonna have some "accidents". May even cry a couple of times...lol. Probably will swear "at them" considerably at first..... then you'll swear "by them".

I dare you to put some REAL effort into them.... for one season.... Thresher/Mako..... WSB / YT.... TUNA /MARLIN ..... Swords.... all on the downrigger. Think about it..... not all fish eat in the top 20' of the water column. See em on the meter..... "BUT THEY WONT COME UP".... NO PROBLEM. Your in their world.... follow their lead.... send the downrigger down.

Not to be disrespectful.... but if half the clowns trying to fly a kite "properly"... ran a downrigger instead.... they'd have more fish to show at the end of the day. Once they got really good at it..... believe me....they wouldn't tell anyone....lol.
    These are the ways to "pull a rabbit out of your hat" so to speak..... when others have tried all THEY know. A GREAT skipper....always has another trick up his sleeve. That's why 10% of fishermen....catch 90% of the fish. Do It.....you'll be glad you did! Good luck!

Last edited:
    Reactions: dcdude
    Upvote 0

dcdude

Jul 18, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Charles
    Boat
    TBD 180
    I'm looking at an overpriced boat that has two electric downriggers and an 8 HP Yamaha kicker, all likely in very good condition. I'm wondering if I should ask him to keep that stuff and knock $2,500 off my price. I don't see too many kickers in SoCal, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough?

Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Brother.... $2500 is little for the safety of having the kicker...(confidence too). Elect. Downriggers.... if in good shape....that 2500 is well spent.... in my books. 60 years on the water.... you can't be safe enough....EVER!

Should you buy.... bring it up... but than tell him you decided.... maybe you'll need them one day.... lol.

Reactions: dcdude
    Upvote 0