Down Rigging Hali - Spreader Bars

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by kingfisher1, Mar 9, 2009.

1. fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
    corn fed is right on with what he said. we troll only up to about 250ft then we end up goin to those huge weights and back trolling because of belly in the line ang swift currents. gotta play the tides when not outside the straight though. i would say 90% of our inside halis come on the tide change. good luck!

2. Keta

Keta Ignorant Sheep Farmer

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    3' Too Short
    20lb balls, Spectra "cable", slack tide and troll slow. It works to at least 100fa.

3. BloodyHooker

BloodyHooker Member

Name:
    Boat:
    Rockharbor SC
    Why are you guys going so heavy on the ball? Down here in Santa Monica Bay we typically see 1-2lb balls. What gives?

4. Keta

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    3' Too Short
    We are talking downrigger balls, I use 10 and 12 pound balls fishing in the lakes. We fish in deep water and the WA boys have strong tidal currents in many places. Off of Oregon 100fa is not uncommon.

5. Roll the Bones

Roll the Bones Dr. Fong

Name:
    Dr. Fong
    Boat:
    Hewescraft 250 Alaskan

Tommy,
    Big Bank is La Perouse Bank that runs Parallel to the West side of Vancouver island from South of Barkely Sound all the way to the North end of the Island. Places like Ratsnose, the Gully are about a 40 mile run from Neah Bay. White, Purple Haze, Green Splatterback Hootchies all work. But the Big spoons really slay larger Hali's, Kings. Even the big Tomic Plugs in 6"-7" catch everything, Lings, Halis, Kings.

6. DaGoose

DaGoose Go pound sand

Name:
    Rick Ferguson
    Boat:
    old
    For whatever it's worth, I've dragged the lead around down here in So Cal "bounceballing" for flatties for many years with great results up to 130 feet with no downrigger.

My go to rigs are size 0 dodgers with a 6 inch purple haze hoochie and white grub tail. Or a 16 teaser dredge in purple haze with the same chasebait as above. Silver Horde makes great products for this and they are good folks too!

My understanding is bounceballing started in the Northwest when commercial salmon fisherman trolling near the bottom of the water column were catching flatties.

Tight Lines!

Rick

7. BloodyHooker

BloodyHooker Member

Name:
    Boat:
    Rockharbor SC
    What is the "ideal troll" speed when using the bouncing ball method? I usually run 2-4 kt poundin sand

8. Roll the Bones

Roll the Bones Dr. Fong

Name:
    Dr. Fong
    Boat:
    Hewescraft 250 Alaskan
    Our heavy Tides and deeper fisheries do not allow us the lighter weight. On the Bright side fighting fish after the release is pretty nice. Troll speed is relative to how close you can keep your gear to the bottom, we are at the mercy of tides, wind, depth. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower!

9. Fred Archer

Fred Archer Big Game's the Name

Name:
    Captain Fred Archer
    Boat:
    36 Custom (Cabo)
    Trolling, drifting and even anchoring in current with Spiders run off of downriggers are all great ways for catching both California and Pacific halibut along with a broad range of "by-catch" that includes salmon (for sure...just ask Crackerjack and other Alaskan guides) and halibut (ask those same guides), plus white seabass, the various other basses, yellowtail, rockfish and even thresher sharks, which go for them in shallow water in particular. Please be sure to review pages 17-21 of the catalog that Keta posted for pictures of hali's and salmon, all caught on genuine Spiders last year.

I surely agree with Keta on using either Spectra or Dacron (my choice) for "downrigger cable" to greatly increase your downrigger capacity, cut down drastically on blow-back, reduce the weight of the balls, making simple repairs for damage, and eliminating cable hum and those little burrs that pop out on cable that will cut the hell out of you. At the same time, be careful handling either Spectra or Dacron because they will also cut you. The book Halibut Fisherman's Bible pictures and describes a neat trick for eliminating this handling of braid and even cable if you are going to stick with it problem.

Now here's the controversial part. Let me say right from the get-go, I don't give a damn what anyone thinks about this, because I am the victim here, but that Rick guy whose catalog name is almost exactly the same as the one that I have used for many years (gee, I wonder why?) and who's catalog is a near mirror image of mine (coincidence?) and whose lures, other than his bounce ball rigs, which aren't special or original in any way is not telling you the truth. And speaking of bounce balling rigs and the details of that technique, very similar versions of his bounce ball rigs are fully described and photographed in both The Halibut Bible and the Secrets of the West Coast Private Boat Pros book that was written over two years ago, along with full descriptions of the bounce balling technique that in truth is only one of a number of very effective ways to catch halibut.

And finally, that "dredge" that he is suddenly talking about, but hasn't on this site for a very long time now? Is that another coincidence? Yeah, right! And here is the stone cold truth about this guy and his "dredges". THE very first time that he ever saw and then used one was early last June, after he bought one of my Spiders. The first time. He caught some bass the first day that he used it, then lost it to a thresher shark that hit it. He then caught plenty of halibut on the ones he bought to replace that first one.

The odd thing about that was some time later, after he copied everything that I spent years developing, testing, writing about and promoting, he claims to have snagged that very same Spider that he lost the thresher on, showed it in his catalog all cleaned up and used it as an example of "how durable" his "Scorpions" (look in my catalog and books for the source of THAT "coincidence" too) are. Remember when he got his first Spider and what happened to it? And then take note of the fact that he never reported losing another - mine or a copy - on the "Scorpion" that he showed (I don't know if he has had the nerve to keep that in his catalog) that he "lost to a thresher". Seems like a lot of other things, this guy has forgotten the facts.

Sorry for this. I do not care for and try not to participate in controversy on this site, but as I said at the beginning, I am the person who this crap was done to and there is no way that I am going to allow this guy to bullshit me, you, or anyone else. I believe that most of you would do what I have done here too, or maybe a lot worse.

And finally, this guy claims to have invested "thousands of hours" testing the lures that he is portraying to be his. "Thousands or hours" when the guy saw his first Spider in June and to my knowledge at least, has barely fished the SuperBars that he has cloned and claims to be an expert on? There truly were many thousands or hours spent developing and testing SuperBars and Spiders, but they sure as hell weren't put in by this man.

My apologies to all but him. Do whatever you like after learning the truth. I have spent a great deal of time on this board with you fellows, laughing, crying, trying to teach and pass on hints that will help you catch more fish and learning some great tricks from some of you. I have been here since Day One of the arrival of "The Northies". I feel like I am one of you and that is another reason why I refuse to allow someone who I am not going to describe in the words that I believe apply to him to come charging in here, waving clones of my long hard work around and taking credit for it. Where you want to buy your lures or books is absolutely your right, but both you and I deserve to know the truth and you have just read it.

The logo that follows might sound familiar. It's just another coincidence, I suppose.

Attached Files:

10. DaGoose

DaGoose Go pound sand

Name:
    Rick Ferguson
    Boat:
    old
    Fred,

There are two sides to this "story". You certaintly have not held back telling your version and others will get your email and jump in yet again and call me a dirtbag and other nice things.

All folks really want is a good product that is easily ordered at reasonable prices, then shipped quickly.

I'm going fishing now.

Sorry for the threadjack and drama all...........

Tight Lines,

Rick

11. Mo

Mo #1 OG, part time Secret Moderator

Name:
    Mo
    Boat:
    20ft Thunderjet,Hobie 12ft Pro Angler,Boat Ho on KA
    Hmmm...

12. Seelicious

Seelicious Newbie

Name:
    Bud
    Boat:
    30' Grady Marlin "Seelicious"
    Rick...did you have any idea what a Spider or Super Bar was before hooking up with Fred? Didn't think so.

Fred's Spiders work and they work well! We ran a Spider on one corner and flasher w/ bait on the other...Spider got bit 5 to 1 over basic rig.

13. Cornfed

Cornfed CAPTAIN | TEAM USUAL SUSPECTS Has Moderator Powers

Name:
    TOMMY DONLIN
    Boat:
    DEFIANCE GUADALUPE 290 CORNIVOROUS
    Fred, Rick - Sounds to me like that shit needs to be settled in the court room instead of defaming each other online.

Halibut are dumb as rocks. You just have to find where they live. Also, you'd be amazed what 20 lb balls will do for you. They'll take you to places you've never been before.

14. mitchk

mitchk Member

Name:
    mitch
    Boat:
    26' Islander
    Sounds like you need to have a chat with your doctor, or girlfriend.

15. BloodyHooker

BloodyHooker Member

Name:
    Boat:
    Rockharbor SC
    LOL That couldn't have been easier!! LOL

16. Keta

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    3' Too Short
    You guys don't have 20lb balls? To run them you have to have a larger and heavier shaft (arm) and mount them better......your downriggers. I like to run 10lb-12lb DOWNRIGGER balls on lakes and 20lb in saltwater.

17. mitchk

mitchk Member

Name:
    mitch
    Boat:
    26' Islander
    I'm glad you cleared that up Keta. At first I was concerned but in retrospect it sounds a bit nuts.

18. Mo

Mo #1 OG, part time Secret Moderator

Name:
    Mo
    Boat:
    20ft Thunderjet,Hobie 12ft Pro Angler,Boat Ho on KA
    This is a fishing forum, not a place for gay irish pickup lines....

19. OUTOFBOUNDS

OUTOFBOUNDS Newbie

Name:
    Herbert Presley
    Boat:
    Lady Liz
    Fred the first spider was ran behind my boat as well as many of your recent developments that I know for a fact were not your ideas, so get off the I own everthing and go back to your cave. Anyone that wants to know the truth need to meet both Fred and Rick and come up with their own ideas as to who they want to do business with. Cornfed is right on. Seelicios Fred didnt know what they were until less than 24 months ago and has never ran them himself...

20. polywave

polywave Newbie

Name:
    Harold
    Boat:
    polywave
    I stared and stared at that attachment, and all I could come up with is WHY add the speader bar? Why not just use the downrigger/clip/flasher/bait and troll (I've done this many times with Canadian guides)?

Year before last four of us went to Swiftsure, two of us just used a weight, the other two used spreader bars (no downriggers) and we all limited out in 30 minutes.
    Last year four of us went up to Winter Harbor, same results.
    I say leave the spreader bars at home!