IM2MONEY

Almost A Member
Aug 7, 2007
Huntington Beach CA
Name
Jimmy
Boat
Boston whaler 19
I was just given a manual down rigger. But if doesn’t have any of the clips or the weight. My question is what size weight should I get? I was thinking of using it for slow trolling.

Thanks

Upvote 0

muletrain

Sep 9, 2006
san clemente
Name
mark
Boat
Carolina skiff for the bay / Hobie Mirage
Usually 5-8 lbs of weight

Weight varies with each downriger

Look up manufacturers recommended weight for your specific set up

Good luck and post some fish reports

Upvote 0

Whalebreath

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 6, 2008
Vancouver BC
Name
Carl Z
Boat
10 pounds minimum 12 to 15 if you have a teenage nephew with arms of steel.

Check the cable to see if it's in good shape and post on the Washington state forum for knowledgeable advice.

Upvote 0

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
Bigtuna
Boat
Parker 2310
You have a kayak? Single hull or an Island? I have a Hobie island kayak and I mounted 2 manual downriggers for salmon fishing. I use 12 lb to go down deep all the way to 175. If I'm fishing shallow above 50 ft, I use 8 lbs. Anywhere in between I will put 10 lbs on. My max speed is about 2.5-3mph. Any faster and I would need to drag more weight than what I mentioned above to prevent blow back. What are you fishing for in HB with downriggers? If you have a single hull kayak that would limit the amount of weight you can put on it so you don't flip.

Upvote 0

bent rod todd

Ling cod killa
Jun 5, 2011
Auburn,ca
Name
Todd
Boat
Skipjack 20 open (Ding A Ling) 14ft mirrocraft ( Lil Ding A Ling)
Up north we use 12 to 15 lbs trolling up to 2.5 knots, in the lakes we use 6 to 8 lbs. It depends on current and speed .

Upvote 0

Fearlessfiasco

Loco Leftist...
Jun 5, 2012
La Mesa
Name
Jeff
Boat
Sea Pro 170DC
The weight required depends on the depth and speed at which you want to troll. The greater the depth and/or speed the heavier the weight needed.

The manufacturer should have info available to help you make a decision. Googl will also throw a sorts of info out for you to wade through.

Here is a link that gives you an idea: http://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/65663/cannon-5-st-10-stx-ts-10-stx.html?page=21

Upvote 0

skipjack

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Oct 20, 2004
    santa maria
    Name
    skip
    Boat
    2320 Parker "Donna Marie"
    This is for fishing reports. Next time post in the fishing chit chat board.
    I use 15 lb weights up here at Port San Luis. Salmon are deep right now.

Reactions: gecsr1
    Upvote 0