Eddy C

Geezer
May 3, 2011
Whidbey
Name
Harry Ottoway
Boat
Glasply
I have older Scottys....I know they are old but I really can't afford new unless I have too.
Who do you think can help?
Maybe some one on here can help or know who can I take them to, to ask questions and service?
I've put new cable on a couple of times the cable has been fraying that causes a kink which results in a lost ball.
Sometimes the cable doesn't spool up right which results in a lost ball.
Sometimes the cable winds up under the spool.
It seems every bad thing that can happen has happened this year.

Part of the problem might be the Mason cable I have been using. It is all I could get where I live. Put it on myself several times.
Over the last 3 years I have taken these to Ted's, John's, and Outdoor Emporium for braid or cable. It seems anyone can put new cable on straight including me, but I need a better tune up or parts or advice or something. Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
lose the cable and go braid.
Use a snubber to avoid the shock when you stop the ball or hit bottom.

Eddy C

Geezer
May 3, 2011
Whidbey
Name
Harry Ottoway
Boat
Glasply
I've used braid before and I use a snubber. I think I have bigger problems? Thanks

Whalebreath

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 6, 2008
Vancouver BC
Name
Carl Z
Boat
the cable has been fraying that causes a kink which results in a lost ball.
Sounds like a groove in the pulley or fairlead or maybe your arm is slightly bent or all three.

Some very fine sandpaper and elbow grease is the solution to the first two but calling Scotty and speaking to a customer service rep will give you some idea of possible solutions to the third-I used to sell Scotty products they are very knowledgeable folks easy to talk to and eager to help.

Scotty

DDawg

Critter Killer
Aug 16, 2004
Oakdale, Ca.
Name
Dave
Boat
Wellcraft 217 Fish, Inboard Center Console "DOUBLEDEE"
Send them to Fishermans Friend in Lodi, CA.
These guys will do a complete tuneup, new parts, etc.
You can ship them with a return shipping sticker, and have them back within the week.

Eddy C

Geezer
May 3, 2011
Whidbey
Name
Harry Ottoway
Boat
Glasply
Good advice Whalebreath. Turns out I do have a bent boom on one of them. Sanding the pulleys. putting on 200 feet of stainless instead of 300. Watch for slack when bouncing ball on bottom that was causing the cable to get under the pulley. Going to 12 lb balls instead of the 15's since riggers are really old. Thanks

fishchasr

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 1, 2009
Bremerton, WA
Name
Greg
Boat
2052 Trophy "Reelaxation"
John's Sporting Goods and Defiance Marine are two more options for authorized service/repair.