Doves: To Decoy or Not to Decoy?

scramblerj

Jan 23, 2013
San Diego
Name
Joe
Boat
Ain’t got one....
I plan on hunting the dove opener at San Jacinto Wildlife area on the 1st since I'll be driving north for a grouse hunting trip in Nevada that day anyway....

This will be my first try at doves, and I know it'll be crowded as Hell there, but I helped build duck blinds this past Saturday and talked to the guy who runs it and he said get there REAL early and I'd probably get a spot....

Anyway, should I bother with buying a set of dove decoys, or will it matter with that many people, also probably setting decoys?

Upvote 0

parkermann2

Feb 28, 2012
Chino/Ca
Name
Parker Manning
Boat
N/A
Decoys work. I made a decoy tree and put 4-5 decoys on it. The dove come to land on it and I smoke them. Mojos work good too.

I was hunting Eurasians at my buddy's dairy a few months ago and I didn't have any decoys so I used a few dove we had already shot and just set them on the ground. The dove would come in to land then realize that the dove were dead and try to take off. But by then it was too late.

And hunting is gonna be tough with a ton of people. If I were you I would try to find somewhere else to go where there isn't as much people. Because a lot of the people are going to be complete retards

Reactions: scramblerj
Upvote 0

Huntndogs

Hunt with an ugly dog!
Oct 9, 2006
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat
16' Duck killing machine
I second the mojo dove, like a magnet especially when paired with 5 or 6 static dove on the ground or in a tree...

Upvote 0

clintonstick

Mar 18, 2014
Name
mike
Boat
g3
I plan on hunting the dove opener at San Jacinto Wildlife area on the 1st since I'll be driving north for a grouse hunting trip in Nevada that day anyway....

This will be my first try at doves, and I know it'll be crowded as Hell there, but I helped build duck blinds this past Saturday and talked to the guy who runs it and he said get there REAL early and I'd probably get a spot....

Anyway, should I bother with buying a set of dove decoys, or will it matter with that many people, also probably setting decoys?
i would buy about 3 and carry with me,never know how a dove hunt will go,you can pull other guys doves who are walking if the sitiuation is right,put them in a dead tree or on a wire and if you have more than one guy have him sit on the decoys.Crowds are not always a bad thing for dove or duck hunting,can make other guys do your work sometimes.

Upvote 0

Chompot

Mar 27, 2010
Colorado
Name
Nick
Boat
Float Tube
At SJ!? I would be afraid some idiot would shoot the decoy.

In all reality I guess they couldn't hurt, but not sure how much it would help.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

masonjazz

Almost A Member
Apr 2, 2012
santee
Name
david
Boat
21eliminator
I would just drive straight to Nevada... I used to live up there and it's hard to hunt with 300 people in one little spot... I would hunt after work and I would hunt the farmers land...

Upvote 0

Sluester

I kill stuff
Jul 22, 2003
Lakeside
Name
Mike
Boat
Killin time, Bill Collector
Just show up early. If they are flying kill em. If not pack up and look forward to killing geese.
I wouldn't buy shit.

Upvote 0

clintonstick

Mar 18, 2014
Name
mike
Boat
g3

The 10 day forecast is warm in utah ,idaho,many years we will get night lows in the 20,s in august and they will be gone.This year it will be a slaughter up here .If i lived in cali i would invest my time in arizona,quail and doves ard in the same area early,then quail move higher,when water is available higher.here is a pic of some quail i got early this year 60'miles from san diego on my way to fish collonett.

image.jpg

Reactions: KP1
Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
^^^^^^^^What kind of Pointer is that above me?^^^^^^

I second the mojo dove, like a magnet especially when paired with 5 or 6 static dove on the ground or in a tree...

That's the way they do it on MTV!

I've had doves come right to me in a driving rain in an open field with a Mojo above me on an 8' tall pole and another on a ground stake in front of me its amazing.

Reactions: scramblerj
Upvote 0

hookup66

Jun 22, 2005
Mission Viejo
Name
Jeff
Boat
Center Console
Decoy! When i first put out my mojo 5 yrs ago, my older buddies laughed at it. After our morning shoot my mojo had several pellet wounds from my buddies who were shooting the doves as they came in to it. It converted them. It's weird, sometimes it works, sometimes they ignore it. Can't hurt!

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat
First off, don't listen to anything Tom says he's an idiot. Secondly, SJ is a waste time. Third if you can't shoot a dove without decoys or a mojo then you should pick another sport.

Upvote 0

Munnster

Sep 17, 2007
Long Beach, CA
Name
Michael Munn
Boat
20 foot, Searay
I used decoys on Tuesday and Wednesday. The Mojo really helped on the second day, I had at least 6 different groups of dove try to land next to the Mojo and the decoys that I had sitting on the ground next to the Mojo. Only killed the flyers.

Upvote 0