Well-Known "Member"
Feb 26, 2003
Escondido
Visit site
Name
Sean
Boat
I'm a Ho'.....
Just throwing it out there, but if anyone goes out for these last few days of the dove season, any chance you could save a couple of the wings for me when you are cleaning up the birds? I have a 5 month old lab that I would like to work on training, and would like some real wings. I work in the south bay, and live in Escondido, so I could pick them up anywhere in between. Just need 2 or 3.

Let me know, thanks........ :)

BluefinCurly

Skipper
Aug 15, 2004
Norwalk
Name
Carl
Boat
Vagabond, The Last Minute
Sean
Though you should introduce dove at some point, they can be an issue.

Dove release their feathers as a defense mechanism.
If you have ever noticed when you pick up a freshly shot bird the feathers seem to come off easily.

I have seen a number of dogs that simply will not pick up dove because their mouth gets filled with feathers.

You may consider pigeons a better alternative for early introduction if you can find a source.
(a lot of old school feed stores have them, but don't say what they are for!)

Then move on to ducks, and eventually dove when pup is so focused on birds she doesn't care about the extra feathers.

I am not saying this is absolute, just a consideration.

Hope all is going well with your progress.

DennisV

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
This.

My labs would fetch doves for me but they always gave me that aw geez Boss, not these again look.

Reactions: Vermonster

ahidog

10000 atta boys
Sep 15, 2004
San Diego
Name
Tom
Boat
105', Camcraft, 85', Ditmar, 65' Noreck
Sean
Though you should introduce dove at some point, they can be an issue.

Dove release their feathers as a defense mechanism.
If you have ever noticed when you pick up a freshly shot bird the feathers seem to come off easily.

I have seen a number of dogs that simply will not pick up dove because their mouth gets filled with feathers.

You may consider pigeons a better alternative for early introduction if you can find a source.
(a lot of old school feed stores have them, but don't say what they are for!)

Then move on to ducks, and eventually dove when pup is so focused on birds she doesn't care about the extra feathers.

I am not saying this is absolute, just a consideration.

Hope all is going well with your progress.
Happened with my pup waiting for ducks now

Reactions: CartridgeCalls

CartridgeCalls

100% Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business
Apr 29, 2015
Palmdale, CA
www.ebay.com
Name
Curtis Wright
Boat
Duck Hunting Kayak
I have mallard, widgeon, shoveler, coot, dove, pheasant, chukkar and quail wings I train my dogs with. Let me know if your in the area and I will give you some.