kbray001

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 18, 2009
South OC
Name
Kirk
Boat
Regal 24
Woke up well before the butt crack of dawn this morning to get out to our little spot before anyone else for the dove opener.

Picked up my dad and brother and headed out to the field in my new to me 2000 land cruiser.

We got our normal spot and set up for the morning. With all the thunder storms over the last 48 hours our hopes weren't high. Unfortunately we were right. It was a very slow morning for us. The volume of birds was way down plus we didn't shoot all that good.

We ended the day with just over a limit combined for the three of us. Even with the low volume of birds it was still a great morning.

This was a tough hunt for us in more than one way. This is our first hunting season since my grandfather passed away last month. My grandfather taught all three of us how to shoot, hunt and love the outdoors. My favorite memories growing up were spent with my grandpa hunting and fishing. Even up until last year, when he was 87 and could no longer shoot, he drove out with us and watched us hunt.

Today we finished the hunt in Bill Bray's traditional way, a toast, a good shot of whiskey followed by a great breakfast.

Hope you guys all limited out today.

IMG_9534.JPG

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
Better than working..!! Thanks for sharing...

Reactions: ror_sal

marlyn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
Cheers to grandpa!

Reactions: ripped

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
My old man stopped going to the opener, actually, stopped dove hunting altogether, right about when I got old enough to go. Cool that you're carrying on your grandfather's tradition. Cheers to you guys!

KID CREOLE

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
Visit site
Name
Stefan
Boat
Mako 224 CC, FULL RACK
I completely understand your hunt. When you lose part of your traditional family hunting group that focus on the kill is not the priority.
My son is not following my passion for hunting and since he doesn't hunt anymore I don't go dove hunting anymore.
However, goose season starts for us in 5 weeks and our group is hungry this year

Reactions: kbray001

OutKasting

Jan 27, 2010
LA/CA
Name
Michael
Boat
none
Cheers to your grandfather's spirit that lives through you. I bet you have some great memories afield.