Dove opener 2015

Discussion in 'Winged Hunting Reports' started by kbray001, Sep 1, 2015.

1. kbray001

kbray001 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kirk
    Boat:
    Regal 24
    Dove opener 2015 -

Short report: limited by 930

Long report: My brother and I hit up our normal spot close to home at o dark thirty (sorry no numbers for this spot). We were the first truck their and got our normal spot. Hung out until sun up. About ten trucks had shown up by shoot time.

The morning started of slow with birds flying in a different direction then normal. We were lucky enough to be able to switch up our spots by 630.

Once in our new spot it was steady until we had our limits. Never wide open but large groups moving through every few minutes.

All the othe hunters were really cool besides one "that guy" who was bragging about his dog that he spent 9k training. He ended up sitting in the middle of the field blocking birds from making it to our mojo dove and decoys. See the pic below. Doesn't matter though because he was still hunting after we limited and cleaned our birds.

Highlight of the trip was my brother knocking down a couple with his home protection coach gun and I knocked down a triple right over our decoys.

We are going to give it another go this weekend.

Blast that lead while we still can!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

furniture 4 me likes this.
  2. parkermann2

parkermann2 Member

Name:
    Parker Manning
    Boat:
    N/A
    Nice job my brother and I are gonna head to a local spot after work today. Hopefully we have the same luck

3. MJB

MJB I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    sold it!!
    Easy limits for us.......damn was it muggy

image.jpg

kbray001 likes this.
  4. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    Nicely done!

5. OutKasting

OutKasting Member

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    none
    good job bro. triple with a pump!? that's awesome

cant make it out until Saturday, looking forward to it. it is always cool when you pay attention and re-set accordingly based on the flight pattern.

kbray001 likes this.
  6. DOGHOUSE26

DOGHOUSE26 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jeff meeker
    Boat:
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    WE didn't even come close to limits on mourning doves up in the north end of the valley; I had 9 and a Whitewing and my partner had 7 and a whitewing. But we dropped 38 Eurasians and a couple of high flying pigeons to keep things rolling. Funny how the mourning doves had smallish black seeds in their crop and the Eurasians were full of corn.

kbray001 likes this.
  7. da crab

da crab Newbie

Name:
    Kenny
    Boat:
    el nada
    FYI per dfg regs, you cannot shoot pigeons. The imperial county passed something allowing the shooting of pigeons. I ran into 2 game wardens near el centro on Monday and asked them if it was OK to shoot pigeons. They advised me of the above conflicting regs. I asked them if we could shoot pigeons, they shrugged their shoulders, laughed and told us to have a good hunt on the 1st. I took it as they were not going to bust someone for shooting pigeons. Maybe another warden might not see it the same?

8. kbray001

kbray001 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kirk
    Boat:
    Regal 24
    Oh wow. We only saw one group of Eurasians in our area.

Yea I'm not even going to lie and say that it was skill. It was mostly luck with the pump.

I hope we get at least one more good shoot on Saturday.

9. DOGHOUSE26

Name:
    jeff meeker
    Boat:
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    "Long report: My brother and I hit up our normal spot close to home at o dark thirty (sorry no numbers for this spot)."

Don't ever give up your numbers to your close to home spot. Soon enough civilization will take over. I had a few 35 years ago and those were some of the best shoots ever; enjoy them while you can!

10. DOGHOUSE26

Name:
    jeff meeker
    Boat:
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    In Imperial Valley they won't bother you with pigeons, down there they are still viewed as "Flying Rats" as they should be. Now up back up here along the coast it can be a different story, depending on the warden, courtesy of those F'n Enviros, the Racing Pigeon Association, and the Fish & Game Commission. I used to go down to Mission Bay and the beach areas to catch pigeons to train my young Short Haired Pointers; one weekend I was stopped over by Dana Landing once by a fairly young warden for catching pigeons and he was about to write me a ticket until fortunately an older warden just happened to be passing by and he talked to the guy off to the side and I didn't get cited. I don't know if the older warden recognized me from fishing checks or if there is a difference of opinion between wardens. The second warden told me to be a little more discreet on where I went to catch pigeons and we left it at that. Never had any trouble anywhere else in the city (aside from the several wacko old ladies with a half of loaf of old bread in their stolen shopping carts). (Hint: If you have trouble finding the birds, then get up early and find the feeders they will take you to them every time:jig:)!

11. MeCrankMate

MeCrankMate TheLegendOfTheLuckyScale

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Float Tube "Shark Dougnut"
    Nice work!!!

12. MeCrankMate

MeCrankMate TheLegendOfTheLuckyScale

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Float Tube "Shark Dougnut"
  13. MJB

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    sold it!!
    Wardens were writing tickets for pigeons in the IV......they should of been writing tickets for too close to the road, too close to a building and shooting over the road.......I saw lots of those while looking for birds at first light

14. MJB

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    sold it!!
    Here you go.....tell them politely to leave you alone

got this off the ca DF&w website.

Shooting barnyard pigeons?
    Question: What is the law when it comes to shooting common or barnyard pigeons? After discussing this with a number of friends and hunters, no one seems to have a definitive answer. Can you help? (Jeff S.)

Answer: Barnyard pigeons or “rock doves” are the feral progeny of domesticated pigeons, and their take is not regulated by the Fish and Game Code. While there is no limit for barnyard pigeons, don’t confuse them with bandtail pigeons or racing pigeons. If someone hunting barnyard pigeons outside the bandtail pigeon season accidentally kills a registered racing pigeon, they could be in trouble and cited with a misdemeanor (Fish and Game Code, section 3680). The chance of this happening is very low though.

http://californiaoutdoorsqas.com/category/regulations-2/fish-and-game-code/

It's several pages back so do a search in this link and you'll find it. The reason it's not in the regs the pigeon is not regulated by the F&W

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  15. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    Pigeons taste the best of all them bastards.

Warwick likes this.
  16. Sluester

Sluester I kill stuff

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Killin time, Bill Collector
    Nice job Gents.

17. Vermonster

Vermonster Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    I'm a Ho'.....
    The ones in our 20 or so we shot that had feed looked more like oats, from what I could tell.