ror_sal

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"
Nov 6, 2011
San Diego
Name
Rory
Boat
fish and chicks
was wondering if there was any good dove hunting up there saw them at the campgrounds a couple weeks ago. Not in huge numbers but a few here and there. The only thing detouring me is that deer season seems to be in full gear right now and don't want to be blasting up the joint if people are out there trying to fill tags. Any input? Weather seems nicer up there.

Sluester

I kill stuff
Jul 22, 2003
Lakeside
Name
Mike
Boat
Killin time, Bill Collector
Not worth your time. IMO

Can't hunt the recreation area with a gun. They have maps with the borders of the rec area.

Reactions: ror_sal

ror_sal

Nov 6, 2011
San Diego
Name
Rory
Boat
fish and chicks
Not worth your time. IMO

Can't hunt the recreation area with a gun. They have maps with the borders of the rec area.
. Yea. I know the areas where you can shoot. And I know the areas where you can't. Was just wondering if the archers stay in the rec area for the most part. I don't want some guy drawing on a deer and me fire my shotgun at a dove a mile away a ruin life for that guy. Ya know?

Sluester

I kill stuff
Jul 22, 2003
Lakeside
Name
Mike
Boat
Killin time, Bill Collector
I know that area pretty good, on and off the rec area. Never seen enough doves to put the time in to hunt them. I have hunted band tails up there.
Lots of private land borders the rec area too. Be careful where you go as it isn't always marked correctly, if at all.
Hunters are everywhere. If you should find a spot in which doves are flying I wouldn't worry about it.
Good luck.

Reactions: ror_sal

ror_sal

Nov 6, 2011
San Diego
Name
Rory
Boat
fish and chicks
I know that area pretty good, on and off the rec area. Never seen enough doves to put the time in to hunt them. I have hunted band tails up there.
Lots of private land borders the rec area too. Be careful where you go as it isn't always marked correctly, if at all.
Hunters are everywhere. If you should find a spot in which doves are flying I wouldn't worry about it.
Good luck.
thanks for the info. What's the best map to buy for up there? (I.E. Private,non private land etc...). I've grew up hunting Catalina Island as a kid so the private land thing is all new to me. I've read that if the property isn't properly marked, like every 50ft or something along those lines, that it's the owners responsibility. not saying I wanna push that rule around but makes it tough to differentiate the designated area and out of bounds. I spend a lot of time out there now since I'm in San Diego full time and island hunting has gotten expensive and all the goats and pigs are gone. So I've got a pretty good idea but would like a good updated map. I've always told myself if I'm unsure then just don't take the chance. But I also don't want to be missing out. Any info would be awesome. If you ever get on Catalina for a hunt, I'll gladly give info to the right people. Thanks a bunch.

Last edited:

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
It is unlawful to enter any lands under cultivation or enclosed by a fence, belonging to, or occupied by, another, or to enter any uncultivated or unenclosed lands, including lands temporarily inundated by waters flowing outside the established banks of a river, stream, slough, or other waterway, where signs forbidding trespass or hunting, or both, are displayed at intervals not less than three to the mile along all exterior boundaries and at all roads and trails entering those lands, for the purpose of discharging any firearm or taking or destroying any mammal or bird, including any waterfowl, on those lands without having first obtained written permission from the owner, or his or her agent, or the person in lawful possession of, those lands. Signs may be of any size and wording that will fairly advise persons about to enter the land that the use of the land is so restricted.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=FGC&division=3.&title=&part=&chapter=1.&article=

So that's a sign of any size every 586 yards.

see this
http://sdgis.sandag.org/

Last edited:

MJB

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Mark
Boat
sold it!!
For dove hit the IV lots of birds and lots of land where you can shoot them.