Capt. Scott Goodwin
Jan 11, 2007
Merritt Island, Florida
www.bdoutdoors.com
Name
Capt. Scott Goodwin
Boat
Morgan 24, Glasser 16'8
There are many options to tie your braided mainline to your fishing leader, be it monofilament or fluorocarbon. Capt. Ali Hussainy offers up his go-to connection knot, the double uni for a quick and easy connection.

Screen-Shot-2021-08-28-at-1.37.03-PM.png

“You can tie FG knots or RP knots and they are great,” said Ali Hussainy. “But to me, the easiest connection knot from my braid to leader is the double uni knot. You can tie it quickly and in the dark and still has 70% of its original breaking strength which is more than enough for real-life applications.”

The double uni is also used to connect braid to braid so it can be a great way to splice your spool of braid if you lose a big chunk during the day or for putting a new topshot of braid on top.

Screen-Shot-2021-08-28-at-1.34.58-PM.png

“Start by overlapping the braid and...

Continue reading...

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
Double unit is my second favorite for braid to flouro next to the Tony Pena knot.

Ditto. I'll tie a Tony Pena/Bob Sands when I have five calm minutes and a uni-to-uni when I'm on the deck during a good bite and want to get back in as soon as possible.

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Wow. I'm surprised people haven't chimed in to diss the uni-uni. The only time I use it it to splice solid braid when I don't have time to respool. I use the RP or Tony Peña to tie fluorocarbon or mono to braid. I've never had a uni-uni fail but if I did, I know I'd get lots of "I told you so's" from my fishing buddies. One more thing: Isn't the uni-uni a big knot when using heavier mono or fluorocarbon?

Reactions: wahoononi
    Carl
    Carl
    I have had the uni to uni fail several minutes into a fight more than once.
    Yes my fault.

However, it made me choose a knot that if I pull on it to test it it will pull out in my hands.
    RP knot fills that and is easier to tie in the dark on a moving boat. It also doesn't clunk through the guides in both directions when used as a topshot.

Not the strongest on a machine but I screw it up less frequently.
    Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    The charter with the best price.
    I'm not trying to diss anybody, or the dbl Uni (I'll might have to go to it ..... if I'm fishing in a 5ft swell & 20mph winds), but I'm just not big on misinformation. Below is a link to an article about extensive research done by the IGFA on this exact subject, and it reveals the dbl uni to be only in the 40-50% success rate area.

It's a knot that can be easily tied, but IMHO that is it's only virtue.

fMtW5NV.jpg

BFNrf9z.jpg

Reactions: yessokk
    Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
    Admin
    Apr 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    That Guy
    Boat
    SeaVee 340Z
    Those numbers above are a bit deceptive.

"The 15-pound Spiderwire braid actually broke at 34.4 pounds, on average; the 50-pound Spiderwire broke at 62.8 pounds. That means knots would have had to break at 34.4 and 62.8 pounds to achieve 100 percent strength."

This means they are using the actual breaking strength of the line (34.4#), not it's rated breaking strength (15#).

This drives the % of breaking strength way down.

We typically talk about knots versus the line rating.

I have recently started messing with the RP knot and I'm super impressed. Still not as fast for confident for me, but I will keep practicing and would even consider switching at some point.

I'm thinking about getting a line testing machine just so we can play with these a bit more.

At any rate, again, tie the knot you're most comfortable with. For me, it's the uni-uni.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    Modified Albright Knot .... never failed me for braid to mono

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
    Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses

"The 15-pound Spiderwire braid actually broke at 34.4 pounds, on average; the 50-pound Spiderwire broke at 62.8 pounds. That means knots would have had to break at 34.4 and 62.8 pounds to achieve 100 percent strength."

This means they are using the actual breaking strength of the line (34.4#), not it's rated breaking strength (15#).

I have recently started messing with the RP knot and I'm super impressed. Still not as fast for confident for me, but I will keep practicing and would even consider switching at some point.

I'm thinking about getting a line testing machine just so we can play with these a bit more.

At any rate, again, tie the knot you're most comfortable with. For me, it's the uni-uni.
    Not to take this too far sideways.
    I have done some highly technical :rolleyes:
    Testing on braids actual breaking strength.

I tie loop knot ie Spider Hitch on the braid and put it on the hook of a spring scale and pull slowly til it breaks.

I'm highly impressed by the Spider Wire numbers and ? It a bit.

Testing several brands my "scientific" way and using "80" I found that when the line broke the average was a tad under 40 according to the scale.

Even more interesting imo is I have yet to have a knot break, always the line away from knot.

Point well taken that the pound test sticker on the spool of line, ie "80" is not an accurate reflection of its actual breaking strength.

Therefore, it is irrelevant in any calculations.

Last edited:

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    The charter with the best price.

I wouldn't consider it "deceptive" as I can't see any agenda, and this same dynamic is applied across the board on all the knots tested. Maybe not 100% accurate due to the variable mentioned or definitive, but I haven't seen any research much more extensive.

Don't get me wrong, the dbl uni works, & it's one of the easiest knots to tie, but from this and other testing I've researched, it is usually in the lower end of the results. Same with the Tony Pena knot, and my friend Alan Tani swears by it, and he's one of the foremost reel setup guys on this coast.

Getting a testing machine is a great idea, more entities testing all these knots will provide cross reference and better knowledge.

I started using the PR bobbin knot a few years ago from SPJ and it's no turning back for me. I feel it's superior not only from the strength testing but it is also the smoothest knot going over your guides. YMMV

Reactions: Cubeye

eric perez

stillapinhead
    Mar 3, 2018
    Costa Mesa Ca
    Name
    eric perez
    Boat
    no mas
    The only knot Ive ever used is a 4 turn Uni Knot up to about 60lb test... after that I like to tie the taller San Diego Jam... and all my braid - mono - floro connections are 5 turn Double Uni knots... Ive never had one break... I can tie them in the dark or with my eyes closed LOL

Upvote 0

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
    Dec 12, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Clay
    Boat
    n/a

The deception (for me, anyway) is the ambiguity of the percentages.
    The author doesn't say the percentages are of the actual breaking strength until way down at the GT knot.

This GT knot snapped at 100 percent of the line's breaking point, indicating zero loss of strength at the knot.

It's implied...
    That means knots would have had to break at 34.4 and 62.8 pounds to achieve 100 percent strength.

Dealing with multiple connections in multiple line tests, I'm happy with any number that is significantly above the rated test of the weakest line.

Back before braid and fluro, I fished mono based on how it broke, not how it was rated.
    30# of drag on Izor 60#, because that rope broke at a hundred.

Upvote 0