AWilliams

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 18, 2009
Ramona, Ca.
Name
Alin Williams
Boat Name
none
Need some help from the builders here. About 1.5 years ago I got some double thick shrink tube from one of the suppliers and now I can't find it. It's 1.28mm thick before shrink and is tacky/grippy like a bubber inner tube tire...not like the non-flock. I use it unde the reel seat. I like to use thin 1/16th cork tape on my rods so the double thick shrink wrap acts as blank protection, a bit of a space filler between the mounting post and the grippiness of the rubber under the reel foot keeps the reel from twisting...win-win-win

I've tried Acid Rod
Get Bit,
The rod room,
Batson
etc...

any help?

IMG_20220623_192443956_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220623_192307983.jpg

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
Monterey
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat Name
18 Sfringari
Try City Electrics. Any electronic supply store should have it.. That stuff has glue on the inside.

Upvote 0

Capt Richie

Atlantic Custom Tackle
Aug 10, 2008
nassau NY
Name
Richie
Boat Name
32 albe
it was called shark skin Merrick Tackle sold it...they were bought out by mudhole and all the good quality products went by by ..I would try a commercial elect supply house

Reactions: AWilliams
Upvote 0

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
Monterey
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat Name
18 Sfringari
If you don't like the glue on the inside than you can turn it inside out. You then need to have it dry completely before you touch it.

Upvote 0

bigreddog

Get off of my lawn
Jul 18, 2005
San Diego Expat
Name
Cliff
Boat Name
I always go back to the Royal Star
I buy mine at heatshrink.com. I use medium wall adhesive lined heat shrink, with a 3:1 shrink ratio. All of my rods including my 130# gear have this as a reel seat. It is cheap, easy and fast to apply, lasts forever, and gives the blank protection while giving the reel something to grip on to. It is commercial grade and so simple that there is nothing that can fail. The adhesive is hot melt glue on the inside of the heat shrink. I have built rods for the last 15-20 years this way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ssrmr2

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 15, 2006
OC
Name
Steve
Boat Name
17' montauk "Anger Management"
mcmaster carr? ask for tech support and speak to them about details, they will give up the manufacturer when asking the right questions.

Reactions: AWilliams
Upvote 0