Double San Diego

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Donald W. Clarke III
Boat Name
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Hey BDers, with your bountiful collective wisdom,

I have a thoughtful, probing question. :rolleyes: Namely, what benefit is there in using a double San Diego knot? Since you end up cutting all ends except your main line, it seems that all you get out of the deal is just a single San Diego with a bit of extra cushion from a short segment of line interwoven with the knot. Can it possibly make that much difference? Thanks in advance, ladies and gentlemen.

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

Blackfish
Blackfish
All I know is that's all I used fishing Yellows in the Sea of Cortez, and I never had a knot fail. Biggest yellow 32 lbs...and some released bycatch Totoaba that that was well over 80 lbs.

It was on 50 lb line.
I only use it on 40 lb or more, mainly when jig fishing.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

effigy

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 18, 2007
Oregon
Name
Mark
Boat Name
Which one? Too many....
The benefit is the 2nd wrap around the hook (or swivel). You now have 2 loops instead one 1 loop around the eye of the hook. But you have to make sure the 2 loops are not crossed.

Same concept with a Trilene knot.

Upvote 0

Garrison

Garrison
May 21, 2008
Temecula
Name
Garrison
Boat Name
Mikelson 43’
What’s the reason? The guys who have seen every knot perform and are paid to hook us up to cows say so!

Every knot has a purpose and every knot is going to place strain on the main line in some fashion. The purpose of the San Diego is terminal strength over the benefit of better action or the smaller size other knots can provide. The strongest knots spread the load over a larger area of the main line and connection point. Doubling the San Diego spreads the strain over two lines and in doing so relieves some of the pressure and chaffing the cinch will inevitably place on the main line.

For me, it is also faster and easier to get a good clean knot with heavier line when I tie a double, mainly because it requires less wraps to get a similar size knot.

Garrison

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dbado1

Almost A Member
  • Jul 17, 2020
    Arizona
    Name
    Robert D Bado
    Boat Name
    Toyota tundra
    There are less bulky easier to tie knots that only have one tag end and are doubled through the eye... like the trilene or the springer/spangler (modified Jansik Special). Personally, I have trouble getting the Trilene to cinch down properly without "trauma" to the knot. So, I prefer the Spangler on line above 60#.

Reactions: Gouryella
    Upvote 0

Jurel Hunter

We need to talk about your fishing reports.
  • Mar 11, 2007
    Mira Mesa
    Name
    Jim
    Boat Name
    FV Soldandgone
    if ur that interested (which is cool), i’d try tying various knots to 2 rings and see what breaks/holds when you pull. for example i realized duble uni was no stronger than single for line i was tying. so it was logical to use single uni bc easier/faster. and san diego jam stronger than uni. it’s hard to argue with results of ur own experiments.

Upvote 0

stephen campbell

aka "Soup"
    Jul 7, 2016
    oro valley az
    Name
    Stephen Campbell
    Boat Name
    S/V Bluechablis Valiant 40
    "It's hard to argue with results of ur own experiments"

I think I have heard some place that if one has made it one should test it, I find it works. Results from the brother in law of an uncle I met on the dock don't do it for me.

• Haha
    Reactions: Omarkayak
    Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat Name
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    Guess I gotta make a knot tester or somethin...

Thanks everybody!

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    On a trip down to the lower, lower zone on the Rooster, back in ‘09…

Had borrowed a kite outfit from Billy Casper Jr, kind enough to have dropped it off in the office for me. Nick put on a 200# mono topshot for me and when it was my turn I asked for help connecting it to my leader for the Flyers we had. He tied a double San Diego. 200 pound monofilament, double San Diego!

I’ll use it for jigs mostly, when I have tied a Surgeon’s knot for a loop, 50 lb for heavy jigs like YoYo iron or Wahoo jigs, 40 lb for Surface Iron.

Upvote 0

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat Name
    Party Boats and Skiff
    I have had the loop of the knot break where it rested against the hook in an extended fight with relatively light line. A doubled loop may have helped. Hindsight with experience is 20/20.

Upvote 0