Double San Diego Jam Knot for Line to Line Connection?

lichenpan

• Oct 22, 2018
    Chino Hills
    Name
    Albert
    Boat
    None
    Any one use San Diego Jam Knot for line to line connection similar to double uni knot? I tried it last night and it seemed it worked. But never heard people mentioned it.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Rossm

Retired Maker of Stuff
    Jul 27, 2005
    Alpine, CA.
    Name
    Ross
    Boat
    25, Skipjack "Hideout"
    Nope. Does not sound like a good idea. The San Diego is a slip knot, that means the harder you pull the tighter it clenches the connection possibly causing the lines to cut each other. Also, it will be a very big knot that will not easily pass through guides.

I use a Bob Sands in most cases, it depends on what type of lines you are joining.

Upvote 0

lichenpan

• Oct 22, 2018
    Chino Hills
    Name
    Albert
    Boat
    None
    Nope. Does not sound like a good idea. The San Diego is a slip knot, that means the harder you pull the tighter it clenches the connection possibly causing the lines to cut each other. Also, it will be a very big knot that will not easily pass through guides.

I use a Bob Sands in most cases, it depends on what type of lines you are joining.
    Fluoro to fluoro

Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    That would be a big knot, single is pretty big. If it’s from mono to a short piece of floro might big good as a stopper for a small sliding egg sinker. Don’t know if it would be a strong connection though

Upvote 0

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
    Nov 12, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    Gee Bee
    Boat
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    I had bad experience on triple surgeon. I mainly use double uni now.

3x joining what pound mono-fluoro lines - how many times was the knot reeled over the guides (or stressed) under load

2x on heavy line 80#+ what I was told, use 3x for lighter line
    you need a proper cinch (like any fishing knot)

surgeon knot is a staple of seasoned big game fishers - maybe it was a bad tie (bad cinch where I would start looking) - I wouldn't be so quick to write it off - examine it closely and pull test it before you send it over the side (like any fishing knot)

but I am a fan of the San Diego jam knot (for 50-plus mono/fluoro to hooks, lures...) (even double San Diego for heavy braid) you will probably use less wraps on the heavier lines - whatever you can properly cinch

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Which one? Too many....
    With a back-to-back San Diego, whether single or doubled, the loop of each knot is directly around the loop of the other. They can cut each other.

Whereas the back-to-back uni, the multiple coils of each knot are against each other. To visualize, pretend you are holding a baseball bat with your two fists (like you are about to swing at a pitch). Your two fists against each other are similar to how the two uni knots press together. It won't cut itself.

The long-range crews will use the uni to uni for quick repairs (even with a fish on the line). The surgeon's will not work in this situation (line in the water to the line on a rod). But....as stated the surgeon's is great for attaching a leader.

Reactions: geebee
    Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    Any one use San Diego Jam Knot for line to line connection similar to double uni knot? I tried it last night and it seemed it worked. But never heard people mentioned it.

Thanks
    the thing to do is just Google ,the RP knot,
    and I add A half hitch on both ends , and it works great,
    Mono to Flouro , I use the simple Seguar knot ,
    just practices.

Upvote 0

f1sleepy

Aug 16, 2016
    Escondido
    Name
    James
    Boat
    the thing to do is just Google ,the RP knot,
    and I add A half hitch on both ends , and it works great,
    Mono to Flouro , I use the simple Seguar knot ,
    just practices.

For whatever reason, I've had zero failures with the double uni, but a few with the RP knot. I really like how the double uni puts all the load on the wraps, and not so much on a bight.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    For whatever reason, I've had zero failures with the double uni, but a few with the RP knot. I really like how the double uni puts all the load on the wraps, and not so much on a bight.
    Wet it good and the knot will pull tight.

Upvote 0

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
    Nov 12, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    Gee Bee
    Boat
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    ...the back-to-back uni...

Interesting, I never looked at this knot (back-to-back uni AKA double uni knot)

are you saying it is as least as trustworthy as the 2x-3x surgeon's knot for 50-100-lb mono/ fluorocarbon fishing line?

Upvote 0

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Which one? Too many....
    Interesting, I never looked at this knot (back-to-back uni AKA double uni knot)

are you saying it is as least as trustworthy as the 2x-3x surgeon's knot for 50-100-lb mono/ fluorocarbon fishing line?

Hi GB,

If you go back to the original post:

"Any one use San Diego Jam Knot for line to line connection similar to double uni knot? I tried it last night and it seemed it worked. But never heard people mentioned it."

he is asking about a comparison between back-to-back San Diego, and back-to-back uni. The context was not specific (to leader attachment, or broken line, or...)

But specifically for leader connection of mono to fluoro, my sense is that more experienced long rangers will use the surgeon's than the uni/uni. That is certainly a Coke / Pepsi argument (personal preference). I've never seen any actual test results; that would be interesting. But a well-tied uni/uni is very dependable. I use it for certain connections. But also use the surgeon's. Love the San Diego for attaching to hooks, but I would never use a back-to-back San Diego for line splice.

Reactions: geebee
    Upvote 0