Dexter Outdoors

clubhunter

Nov 23, 2008
Montgomery, Texas
Name
Rick Stevens
Boat
na
i am looking for a sheath and I thought I was on Needle Crook's list to make me one but communications have fallen into the automated response system. It's been about a couple of months when I originally reached out to him and I sent back what I was looking for. I followed up a few weeks ago and I get an automated email return staying he is not taking any new orders. All I want to know is that I am on the previous list. I have PM'd him and no response.
Who else makes the sheaths that will fit a double plier set along with a tuna spike?

Reactions: Bigjonh
Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
I was lucky enough to get a custom from needlecrook. The quality is great and i am extremely happy. That being said, I think just about any leather shop should be able to make something similar as long as you get them the tools and show them what you want. I imagine that there is plenty of capable folk in Texas who do custom leather work for other things (I'm thinking saddles, belts, motorcycle accessories, etc) that could whip up a plier sheath pretty easily. I don't know any specifically, but that could be an alley to look down.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
I believe that M&M has what you are looking for if you are unable to contact needlecrook.

http://mmrods.com/

Upvote 0

Surfer Ed

Almost A Member
Apr 10, 2015
Clarkdale, AZ
Name
Ed
Boat
Shogun, Vagabond, New Lo Ann
Needlecrook is getting ready to have inventory for sale. what
He posted it on instagram prices and availability. Has like 8 types of leather sheaths available for purchase and mentioned he turned off his auto responder on his email account

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
It's gotten to be unnecessary (for me, anyway) to have these tools at the ready on a Long Range boat. Even when the crew is super busy, they're the ones who remove the hook or jig, spike the fish, whack it in the head, bleed it. I almost feel like I'd be in their way.

If it's those small tuna and you're fishing J hooks, you'll probably have a pair of dykes in your pocket and some hooks.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
IMO one should have some tool readily at hand in case line (spectra or mono) needs to be cut in a emergency.....if you are up the rail and no deckhands are around and a line needs to be cut NOW it's good to have some dykes or cutters handy......
Is that Boomerang tool good for that?

Upvote 0

fishboy93

Jul 25, 2012
West Coast
Name
Ryan
Boat
It floats
The boomerangs are only good for that if you don't mind ruining them with mono on occasion, otherwise keep a pair of dykes on you. The handles are as useful of a tool as the cutting edges are in certain applications.

Reactions: Fishybuzz
Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
The boomerangs are only good for that if you don't mind ruining them with mono on occasion, otherwise keep a pair of dykes on you. The handles are as useful of a tool as the cutting edges are in certain applications.

I agree...... but he asked a question and in a pinch or emergency the Boomerangs will cut either spectra or mono at least once LOL......

Upvote 0

Abo

Almost A Member
Oct 21, 2015
South coast
Name
Mick
Boat
23' Searay
Yep, a loop of line around a body part needs immediate attention
I was hooked up on a good fish on a rod once when a 100 pound handline went off, big yellowtail, naturally I put my foot on it as it went dancing across the deck, immediately the line spiralled around my ankle.
I was fishing alone at the time, and in the time it took to get the rod in a rodholder I lost a fair bit of skin and blood, thank god it wasn't a yellowfin or beakie

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat

I agree...... but he asked a question and in a pinch or emergency the Boomerangs will cut either spectra or mono at least once LOL......

Yep, once is all you need. I have a couple of pairs of dykes for mono and scissors for spectra.

But this would be like in case of emergency, break glass. I know it can happen in a heartbeat, deckhand or angler working on a backlash. If it's me, I always pull the hook out of the bait before doing that. If you've got a jig hanging, best to get some help. One guy holding onto the line, hopefully wrapped around a gloved hand while the other picks away at the birdsnest. Be safe out there.

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Yep, once is all you need. I have a couple of pairs of dykes for mono and scissors for spectra.

But this would be like in case of emergency, break glass. I know it can happen in a heartbeat, deckhand or angler working on a backlash. If it's me, I always pull the hook out of the bait before doing that. If you've got a jig hanging, best to get some help. One guy holding onto the line, hopefully wrapped around a gloved hand while the other picks away at the birdsnest. Be safe out there.

I have started to carry one of my line pullers so that it there is a tangle and there are baits in the water I will take couple wraps of line with the bait on the puller if the bait gets picked up the people working on the tangle will have some time to clear their body parts from the tangle

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Why would cutting mono ruin these cutters?

Reactions: fishboy93
Upvote 0

fishboy93

Jul 25, 2012
West Coast
Name
Ryan
Boat
It floats
Mono dulls them very quickly. I worked in a tackle shop for 3 years and learned they are great for spectra but only spectra. If it's an emergency go for it they will work, but a pair of dykes would still be my choice because they have more uses in the same situation. Why carry a line puller and boomerang tool when you have the handle on your dykes as a puller and a cutting tool on the other end...

Reactions: Nudle
Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Mono dulls them very quickly. I worked in a tackle shop for 3 years and learned they are great for spectra but only spectra. If it's an emergency go for it they will work, but a pair of dykes would still be my choice because they have more uses in the same situation. Why carry a line puller and boomerang tool when you have the handle on your dykes as a puller and a cutting tool on the other end...

Cause when I drop my line puller into the water I won't lose a $30 tool....when a 200# tuna takes a bait and I am holding on to 130# spectra I am hanging on only long enough to be sure everyone is clear then I drop the mess into the water....

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
I have somehow acquired 4-5 pairs of scissors that I use for cutting line. As they gave gotten dull, they're in the "topshot kit" only for cutting leader material. Once or twice used to cut mono or fluoro and they don't give a clean cut on spectra.

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Spectra scissors and the boomerang tools have micro teeth that grip the spectra and keeps the spectra from slipping while being cut....when one cuts mono or FC with them the micro teeth are damaged and the ability to cut spectra is compromised....

Upvote 0

ygfatboy

Almost A Member
Feb 8, 2007
Bonita Ca
Name
jeff young
Boat
none
I have started to carry one of my line pullers so that it there is a tangle and there are baits in the water I will take couple wraps of line with the bait on the puller if the bait gets picked up the people working on the tangle will have some time to clear their body parts from the tangle
I will not fish that boat if it tangles

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Upvote 0