wwen

Jig & Pop
Aug 19, 2014
La Costa/Carlsbad
Name
Edward
Boat Name
One day
Would you tie a double or triple surgeons for a heavy mono to short fluoro “bite” leader (eg 100lb mono to 130lb fluoro)?
I know the triple surgeons is better in light line but don’t know about heavy 100+lb line.

It’s really difficult to cinch down the short tags on the knot with such heavy line, maybe I should just use up more leader in the knot? Ugly bulky knot but I cannot break it with my knot pullers.

5AF00F16-BFB8-4C4B-BFEE-0AB2F761F1E6.jpeg

Upvote 0

Mike D.

Dec 18, 2018
Newport
Name
Michael
Boat Name
Late Drop
Before you tighten, pinch both tags and mainlines and pull them all together simultaneously to start the knot. Pull the tags parallel to the mainlines to keep it all straight. I’d stick with a triple, if you can get it to lay down right. I personally wouldn’t fish the knot pictured but it’s your call. I’d try again, I like my knots pretty.

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat Name
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Bad knot choice for spectra to heavy mono.. Try an RP knot: Easy to tie, much smaller than a surgeon's knot. And doesn't fail if tied correctly.

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0

wwen

Jig & Pop
    Aug 19, 2014
    La Costa/Carlsbad
    Name
    Edward
    Boat Name
    One day
    Before you tighten, pinch both tags and mainlines and pull them all together simultaneously to start the knot. Pull the tags parallel to the mainlines to keep it all straight. I’d stick with a triple, if you can get it to lay down right. I personally wouldn’t fish the knot pictured but it’s your call. I’d try again, I like my knots pretty.
    Same here. Try to save leader with shortest tag but gives issues cinching in heavy line with this knot. Cinched the short tag end down with pliers this time. Look better?

38985EB9-32D9-4FEE-848B-F8E6F5CC5C6A.jpeg

Reactions: Mike D.
    Upvote 0

DMcD

Nov 21, 2011
    Idyllwild, Ca USA
    Name
    Dennis McDougall
    Boat Name
    None
    What Mike D said. And I'd also stick with the triple. Make sure both lines are wet (saliva best). You should see the lines tightening together in a Figure-8 configuration.

Upvote 0