kenai

Aug 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Ron
Boat
25 Davis Bahia -- All In
Hey,

Looks like you snagged one of those in the eye. That's not very sporting if not hooked in the mouth. Should have thrown it back in. LOL

Reactions: Dnraiders1
Upvote 0

b-reel

Nov 20, 2011
Downey
Name
HP
Boat
none yet
Sweet vid. You guys looked like you were having fun and loving every moment of it on video -cue the close up. How did the lures swim at that speed? Did they sink or stay on the surface? I have never trolled the bonitas before.

Upvote 0

mattydog

Jul 9, 2014
poway,ca
Name
matt welsh
Boat
22'striper
Nice yob fella's, I noticed you kept the boat moving slowly when they were bringing in the fish , is that the standard procedure? what time should i be over for dinner?

Upvote 0

Dnraiders1

Jul 26, 2014
Name
Dave
Boat
Crystaliner center console
We got one on Sunday and the same thing re an empty stomach--they must be starving or they process food quickly--congrats on a great catch. Were you in gear the whole time??

Nice yob fella's, I noticed you kept the boat moving slowly when they were bringing in the fish , is that the standard procedure? what time should i be over for dinner?

Yes we were in gear moving about 3kts. This keeps the lines tight at all times and the fish really don't make a run for it since you're pretty much swimming them towards the boat. That's why the fish were onboard fairly quick. One was a 6 min fight and the other was on board a minute after. It also allows you bring the fish up to the side and swim him there for the easy gaff shot.

View attachment 627879 Super job congratulations

Oh by the way that looks like my gaff

Is pepper Park deep inside San Diego Bay ?

It's far south in national city off the 54

Sweet vid. You guys looked like you were having fun and loving every moment of it on video -cue the close up. How did the lures swim at that speed? Did they sink or stay on the surface? I have never trolled the bonitas before.

they can be trolled up to 16kts and 12kts for the smaller model. They stayed in the water and could tell they had the proper motion by looking at the rod tip. At that speed I believe that they stayed up close to the surface. The leader is a 400lb 49 strand wire. The bite marks only went up about half way. I think thats due to the high speed trolling.

Upvote 0

kdrouet

Sep 10, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
Dude
Boat
M40 Knight and Carver
Nice video and good job. We had a wahoo hit at 9:00 am yesterday around the same area. It bit a mean joe green and bit through the leader. Got the lure back but it ate right through the mono. Go figure, it hit the one lure without a wire. We are going to try again next week.

Upvote 0

NATIVE

Deeper and Faster
Apr 2, 2008
Earth
Name
'Smitty'
Boat
BaseCamp Parker 2520
We launched from Pepper Park at 0430 and went to buy bait. Bait was awesome. Plan was to go to the 425 since we had limits of footballs and dorado last week. The bright moon and calm conditions made it a comfortable ride down south.
We reached the 425 by gray light and find a small paddy with boils. A bunch of rat yellows chase our bait as it hits the water but no takers.
We move along and find another paddy about 5x5 in size. We don't even have a bait in the water when a nice dorado comes up to the boat. Big mistake. Hook up and land him. Now the skunk is off. Picked up two more including a 50 incher. Bite died off and a large sun fish came up to the boat.
Continued searching for another paddy. Well that was the story for the next 5 hours. Hard to spot anything in the water since the wind had picked up by then. We decided to start making our way back and continue searching.
We stayed about 12 miles out and once we reached South Island I threw the YoZuris out. Really wanted to get back asap so the troll speed was between 14-14.5kts. About half way up North Island both of them go off. At first I thought that we had ran over a piece of kelp or trash. What are the chances of a double wahoo hook up? The guys immediately start reeling and suddenly feel head shake and a short run. Such an exiting moment for all of us. Got the go pro rolling and gaff ready.
The sight of the first fish got us pumped up even more. We were able to get under water footage. about 5 minutes into the fight the first fish comes within gaffing range, I gaff him and bring it on board. No time to celebrate since we still had one in the water. Jason kept fighting him and writhing a minute of landing the first on the next one was ready to be gaffed.
We could not believe that we had a wahoo on deck. Much less two of them. Such an amazing experience. Glad we could get the footage. Hope I can give wahoo another shot here in a couple days. Another thing I should mention is that the they were both empty. Only thing in their stomachs was a couple parasites.
Hope you guys enjoy the video. I know this is BD so I'm sure someone will find something negative to say.

View attachment 627757

View attachment 627758

View attachment 627759

View attachment 627760

View attachment 627761

View attachment 627762

View attachment 627763

Holy Crap!
Awesome....
Just so you know, I am jealous..... wahoo envy!

Upvote 0

NATIVE

Deeper and Faster
Apr 2, 2008
Earth
Name
'Smitty'
Boat
BaseCamp Parker 2520
We launched from Pepper Park at 0430 and went to buy bait. Bait was awesome. Plan was to go to the 425 since we had limits of footballs and dorado last week. The bright moon and calm conditions made it a comfortable ride down south.
We reached the 425 by gray light and find a small paddy with boils. A bunch of rat yellows chase our bait as it hits the water but no takers.
We move along and find another paddy about 5x5 in size. We don't even have a bait in the water when a nice dorado comes up to the boat. Big mistake. Hook up and land him. Now the skunk is off. Picked up two more including a 50 incher. Bite died off and a large sun fish came up to the boat.
Continued searching for another paddy. Well that was the story for the next 5 hours. Hard to spot anything in the water since the wind had picked up by then. We decided to start making our way back and continue searching.
We stayed about 12 miles out and once we reached South Island I threw the YoZuris out. Really wanted to get back asap so the troll speed was between 14-14.5kts. About half way up North Island both of them go off. At first I thought that we had ran over a piece of kelp or trash. What are the chances of a double wahoo hook up? The guys immediately start reeling and suddenly feel head shake and a short run. Such an exiting moment for all of us. Got the go pro rolling and gaff ready.
The sight of the first fish got us pumped up even more. We were able to get under water footage. about 5 minutes into the fight the first fish comes within gaffing range, I gaff him and bring it on board. No time to celebrate since we still had one in the water. Jason kept fighting him and writhing a minute of landing the first on the next one was ready to be gaffed.
We could not believe that we had a wahoo on deck. Much less two of them. Such an amazing experience. Glad we could get the footage. Hope I can give wahoo another shot here in a couple days. Another thing I should mention is that the they were both empty. Only thing in their stomachs was a couple parasites.
Hope you guys enjoy the video. I know this is BD so I'm sure someone will find something negative to say.

View attachment 627757

View attachment 627758

View attachment 627759

View attachment 627760

View attachment 627761

View attachment 627762

View attachment 627763

Cool video too!

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004