2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
Danny T Brilliant write-up and Fabulous pics as usual! Arigato ありがとう for the timely tips, I'm headed out for my 4-day next week May 19-23 Can't Wait!!!

Upvote 0

dtfisherman

GONE FISHING
Nov 9, 2015
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Danny
Boat
None
Danny T Brilliant write-up and Fabulous pics as usual! Arigato ありがとう for the timely tips, I'm headed out for my 4-day next week May 19-23 Can't Wait!!!
You’ll be fishing just outside the peak period of the Post New Moon Bite. Fortunately for you the 100#er butterballs have just reappeared after disappearing and being MIA for over a month. Wishing you luck Rod!

Upvote 0
Jan 7, 2020
San Diego
Name
DTS
Boat
Boatless
Supper cool sounds like a lot of fun thanks for the report. I am very Anxiously waiting to get out of work today because myself and like seven of my buddies are riding the American angler tonight!

Upvote 0

dtfisherman

GONE FISHING
Nov 9, 2015
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Danny
Boat
None
I wish I could join you! The butterballs are starting to make their reappearance so it should be a good show on the water. Whatever you catch will be kept in great condition on the Double A. We cut our fish the day after our return and the flesh was firm, bright and clean like it just came out of the water. Amazing melt in your mouth quality and condition...

Upvote 0

dtfisherman

GONE FISHING
Nov 9, 2015
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Danny
Boat
None
Here's info some may find helpful that I hadn't realized I was in conversation with Screef. I thought it was here on this post. Posting now. He asked, "How to fish KB's?"
Great question Screef! I love bait fishing; dines, squid, flying fish, macs...still do but jigs and jigging is the new tidal wave for bft imho. So for your answer, I went straight to James Kikkawa, owner of KB's and avid jigger. He recommends two techniques: mechanical and free-fall. He and his brother Mike love the mechanical technique because the saying "the tugs the drug" takes on a even higher level of meaning when you're hooked on a KB. Like many things in life, the "aha" moment will come only when you experience it for yourself. Here's the link to watch and practice.

Free-fall technique. Anglers have also had success casting upwind and letting the jig fall freely back to you ( you get bit on the fall ) if you don't you can do a slow to medium retrieve or pump and wind in the zone. This technique works well because your KB is working through several water columns and ends up right below you where the captain usually meters most of the fish. A fifty yard cast and then freespool is a good pattern to start. JNo caught his 6 fish, two 100#ers, with this technique on our trip.

Tackle tip. Use 60/80/100lb leader direct tie to solid ring. Daylight or night the same leader. The one exception is grade of bluefin. If the better and bigger grade bite, 130#-200#er+, a short 2'-3' 200#-300# crimped leader is required. It's a catch 22, the crimped leader alters and affects the KB action some but the bigger boys will chew through if you don't. So most KB's you'll tie straight to your setup but have a few crimped for the bigger units on backup if your heart and back can take it :-D

You didn't ask this question Screef but you might so I had another good angler, Sean, answer it for you. Do the KB's work better during the day or night? Sean says, and I agree, that they work well during the day and night but daylight is when they really shine.

Good day

Screef

Aug 10, 2014
Name
Duy
Boat
Here's info some may find helpful that I hadn't realized I was in conversation with Screef. I thought it was here on this post. Posting now. He asked, "How to fish KB's?"
Thanks dtfisherman! Much appreciate it. What was the rod/reel combos that you guys used for the KBs jigs? Any particular color pattern worked better for you guys for day and night fishing?

Upvote 0

litzsout619

Oncorhynchus tshawytscha
Jan 29, 2009
Sitka//619/Kalama
Name
Jason
Boat
ORCA 31'
6345F25C-5E07-4614-AB87-518049F80718.jpeg

Upvote 0

dtfisherman

GONE FISHING
Nov 9, 2015
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Danny
Boat
None
Rod/reel combo depends on if you're fishing mechanical or free-fall techniques.
For the mechanical you're talking a 5-6' jigging stick with a solid backbone. The backbone is measured with a PE rating. For the bigger grade, the Phenix Megalodon MPX-609-C, 6', PE6-10 paired with a Jigging Master Monster Game PE-8 reel 4.9:1 gear ratio, is the way to go per avid jigging angler Gary Jubilado. I use a Hydra HPX5610-C 5'6" PE 8-12 for this grade paired with a Avet HXJ Raptor reel 5.4:1. My friend and avid jigger up north in Oregon, Aaron W, prefers UC's, CXJ6002-6004, and their Zeus 3-4 paired with Avets and another brand that I unfortunately cannot recall.
For the free-fall technique you can use the same combo as the mechanical or any of same combo's of your 30-100# railrods with paired reels that you fish with ff's and sk's.

Colors imho is more a human phenomena and behavior than a fish phenomena. The most important point to getting bit is to put the jig in the bft's strike zone in a manner and pattern that triggers his impulses and instincts to attack. This is where every detail becomes important in a pick and picky drift. Size of lure, line size, leader or non-leader length and type, action, water column, active and in-active depth (bite zone), pattern recognition....are some of the details and understanding that separate the bent rods from the unbent ones. Or the hot sticks from the cold ones. In a hot bite, even a shiny hook will get bit.
That said, pink, pink-silver, purple-silver, blue-silver, katy perry (blue-pink), black-silver and chrome seem to be the colors in everyone's arsenal of KB's.
For KB's night and day bite is the same for line and jig because they're made with one side that has the color and the other is striped glow. If the larger grade, 150-350#ers are chewing, then crimped leaders will be required unless you're okay with being chewed off in a longer battle. Mike Kikkawa of KB favorite color is the purple-silver and blue-silver. He went 6/6 on the BFT last week on the SD 3/4 day. Whipped his brother who only went 5/7 :-D

KB BROTHERS BFT SD FULL DAY.jpg

Upvote 0