Dorado!

bays90

Mar 17, 2010
Kailua-Kona HI USA
Name
Chris
Boat Name
46' Viking, Mi Novia, Quepos, Costa Rica
Interesting Video, They mention Hawaii and our Dorado fishery is way down just since I have been fishing here, the runs of fish are almost nonexistent some years, we have nothing like Mexico, although I have heard it used to be like that. You have the laws in place. Like the tuna seiners off the arches in Cabo. Laws are great but only if they are enforced. If they opened up a fishery for Dorado can you imagine how quickly that would wipe out the population. Now you have a legal means whether it's limits or seasons none will obviously be observed, and it will turn nearly impossible to tell the difference, and you will have 5 times the boats chasing them now because it's legal. The guys in Mexico would really be screaming when it's like what we have here and troll all day for 1 bite or 1 fish

Reactions: OpporTUNAty
Upvote 0

jesjul1

Aug 4, 2013
Santa Ana, CA United States
Name
Jose
Boat Name
yolo
Upvote 0

Bajaexile

Jun 2, 2013
SJD BCS MEX
Name
Jay
Boat Name
White Widow Mako264
Hopefully they'll start busting these predators now that more people are getting involved in the fight. It's a pretty tough battle with all the corruption and payoffs here, but there are alot of heavy hitters on the Dorados side of the fight. On a good note, I've been seeing and releasing more baby Dorado than I've seen in 25 years of fishing in Cabo and East cape. Literally schools of hundreds of fish. Hoping they make it to adulthood.

Upvote 0

onorichard

Mar 1, 2008
san mateo ca USA
Name
richard
Boat Name
24' panga Tom-Tom
First time in 24 years that I have not taken a dorado in the month of May in the Sea of Cortez. What I have seen is that most fish taken have been smaller
than 20lbs in the last few years , Gone are the day of blind trolling and hooking a dozen fish 20 plus into the 30plus range, I hope for the old days to return .
Maybe this has something to do with it.
During the year I would go to a niche food store that is nation wide, to buy vacuum packed Tuna and Albacore at a great price,maybe 3years ago it no longer was in the freezer I inquired as to what happened to the Tuna's I was told by the store manager that they could not get tuna at a price that they could market it to their customers at that time. You guessed it, what took it's place was bins full of Mahi fillets,and I mean
full I could not believe what I was seeing. X time a national food chain. My two cents worth.

Upvote 0

DEFIANT

Aug 16, 2006
Santa Cruz, CA
Name
Larry
Boat Name
DIRTY GIRL
Thanks for all the discussion, I'm not on Facebook, but if anyone out there is? Please post this video link the more people that know where there Dorado/Mahi is coming from and where it will go, maybe they will buy or order some other better choice.

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2014
Name
Vince Radice
Boat Name
Super Panga 25
Interesting comments about dorado. We at WorldsAquarium are getting ready to actually move forward on the dorado issue again with the United States. Soon we will be trying to convince the Americans to stop the illegal flow of Dorado into the United States once and for all. I will start to post more information on how sport fisherman can help us. We believe that this year we will accomplish a big win in the Sea of Cortes by shutting down the fish mafias that illegally fish dorado, kill thousands of marine turtles each year and then easily ship their product to the U.S.A. Hope to have everyone's support!!

Thanks Vince

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2014
Name
Vince Radice
Boat Name
Super Panga 25
You all might find the video at the following link below of interest as well. It was a film crew from the french television network Thallasa. We were able to convince these guys to come all the way over from France and do a short documentary on our efforts. The video is below on the side bar. This is going to be our year to win the dorado issue!!!

http://worldsaquarium.com/

Upvote 0