Offshore Dorado for miles (plus I found someone's beanbag mid channel)

bsandls

I don't know what I don't know
  • Jul 7, 2018
    Orange County
    Name
    brian
    Boat Name
    20' Tiara
    Went out of DP yesterday at about 0630 and drove straight for the 14. A couple of miles south we see something strange floating on the water and when we get close it turns out to be a bean bag chair. If you can describe it in a PM I am happy to reunite it to the proper owner.

Anyhoo, the area is a parking lot, at least 50 boats, with a ton of fish, around one large paddy, being the main attraction. Dorado are jumping all over the place but the catching was slow. A private boat would pick one up here and there but never wide open. The sport boats were picking up one at a time but it had to be frustrating to have 40 to 50 lines in the water and only one guy
    hooked up. Every time they got one on board you could hear cheering.

We managed to only pick up one and decided to find our own paddy. Went over towards the slide and found 4 different small paddy's with a little bit of life but nothing worth catching (mola mola, etc...). Found a larger grade paddy and this one was loaded with dodos but, just like the spot south of the 14, they had lock jaw. Got one more on the boat and missed one (shame on me) and called it a day.

My buddy stuck his GoPro in the water at the last paddy and I count over 40 dorado, check out the video.

They were chasing tiny little bait and were just not that interested in the sardines. Water was 71.8 and clear blue. When I cut the two we caught open one had an empty stomach and the other had a mostly dissolved sardine, doesn't make any sense.

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Cool video! You plucked a couple out of the zoo, so you're not doing too bad! Congrats!

Reactions: bsandls and mrkrabs
    Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat Name
    arima - the SLIDER
    it turns out to be a bean bag chair. If you can describe it in a PM I am happy to reunite it to the proper owner.

I was wondering where I left that Bean Bag Chair. Can you return it?

My Lava Lamp, Mobiles and Incense just aren't the same without it.

:smoking33:

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
  • Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat Name
    25ft Skipjack fly 35 ft Silverton
    It's white and floating! I turned around and it was gone. Still looking for my buddy that was on it. I overheard him say big wake ahead ! Bet you can't get airborn!

Upvote 0

RyanErb

Love to fish!
  • Aug 7, 2012
    All over the 805
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat Name
    OnTheWater
    Love the underwater video!

Next time try 10lb test fluro with a #4 hook. Why not go extreme and see how many bites you get?!

The sport boats are getting them somewhere. Some sport boats are getting 150-250 dorado on the day boats!!!

Upvote 0

ReelHappyJim

Mar 2, 2020
    Anaheim
    Name
    Jim Payne
    Boat Name
    🐠⬇️
    I did real well on straight 12 pound Maxima and a #1 hook. Hook from top of mouth and out thru the nose(hidden hook). Give them a five count and your hookup ratio will rise.

Upvote 0