Will
Boat
Not yet
IMG_1321.JPG
IMG_1323.JPG
IMG_1324.JPG
IMG_1317.JPG
IMG_1320.JPG
This is my first post and just want to warn you I don't know much of the technical stuff but I do know how amazing it was catching my first dorado so I gonna start here with my story.

It's starts at 2:00 am Sunday morning 8-13-2017 drinking coffee in my garage looking over my gear making sure I have all my hooks surface irons and my setups are ready to go. 3:30am hits my lunch is packed and my gear is ready. Me and my neighbor Mike ( Baja Belk)are loading everything into his boat and truck and we are headed to the landing. I'm half asleep from the fishing trip the night before and have had about 3 hours of sleep but I'm excited and on a mission to land dorado.
We headed out of a landing behind sea world near Dana and cruised over to the bait barge loaded up with bait we head out. Finally out of the no wake zone Mike guns it and my adrenaline starts pumping and we are on the way.

We headed to the 9 mile bank and the whol time I have my head in a swivel looking for paddies. Nothing yet. We pass the bank and keep headed out and then we find our first paddie and nothing.
I thought every paddie had fish ? I was mistaken.

We keep searching still keeping an eye out and then we spot two paddies side by side and before we can get our lines in the water dorado are jumping out of the water like they know I'm here and they came to greet me. We get our lines in and instantly get hooked up and then he's off hook gone. As Mike and Zach are landing dorado I putting a new hook on as quick as I can fearing I'm gonna miss the fish. Line back in and I'm hooked up again this one isn't getting away after a fight he's in the boat and I'm smiling from ear to ear. After back to back dorados Mike and Zach land yellowtail and as happy as i am catching fish it was fun watching everyone land fish and helping with the gaf. A sea lion surfaced next to the paddie so we headed out looking for more.

We started trolling looking while looking for more paddies found a coulple more and no luck it didn't matter It had been a amazing day already. Caught two dorado and let a smaller one go.

After trolling for a little while we pulled them up and started speeding around trying to cover more ground in search of more paddies or something.
Found a mola mola randomly I'd never seen one and thought it was retarded hah then I was told about Boston jay and the video on you tube. Look jay it's a baby whale dude . That was a funny video to watch.

As we are headed back we see terns diving as we get closer it's a boil of Bonita. We pull up and me and Mike start casting out the irons. Mike hooks up and are lines get tangled we situate that and I cast back out and I'm on. After a back and forth battle and help with Mike on the gaf he's on board and bleeding everywhere a perfect way to end the day.

The day ends learning how to filet on all the fish we caught. We ended up with with 2 yellow tail
2 Bonita and I think 6 maybe more dorado.

Perfect day.
Sorry for the long story.

Last edited:

Sdwill11

Jul 23, 2017
San diego
Name
Will
Boat
Not yet
there are some bonito out there that are bigger than any I've seen in many years. Bleed them and ice them for excellent sashimi. I am smoking a batch right now for sandwiches.

I definitely going to try some next time. Because I had some people tell me there not good but more people now tell me there great sashimi. Heading down to Ensenada Aug 24 to fish for a couple days. So maybe I'll get some down there. Thank you for the info. That one bonito I caught Sunday put up a bigger fight then all the fish that day.

RockyGizmo

Almost A Member
Mar 15, 2017
Goleta, CA
Name
Alexei
Boat
Cattle Boats from all over California
:)Awesome pics... Great first post... I want a Dodo too.

Oh yeah! Fresh Bonito sashimi is wonderful. Unfortunately, Bonito doesn't last long before turning to mush; highly perishable... bleed it, ice it, eat it.

Thanks for taking the time and writing up your trip... Makes me feel better knowing folks like you are hitting it while I'm stuck working.

Last edited: