Don't Look Now...

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Rodless_Jim, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    ...but Rodless is going fishing this cow season after all!

I managed to get on the Intrepid 15-day that leaves February 17th. I cannot begin to tell you all how excited I am!

2. Shooter

Shooter Member

LUCKY!

3. poncherello

poncherello I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    none
    Will you be writing a report for this trip? J/K!! Awesome! I think some cow jigs are in order. Best of luck on your trip Jim.

Rodless_Jim likes this.
  4. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    I will do what I can to take notes during the trip. I suspect that I will have help keeping track from the guys on the trip, too. As I think you know, that is one fantastic group, with Ken, Miles, and Mike leading the way.

But I am not going to set any expectations. If I write a report, I won't even begin posting it until the report itself is finished. One thing I will not do this time is leave you guys hanging.

And as for jigs, If you were to offer me a couple of JRI-8 glows, why I wouldn't complain a lick! Maybe a couple of brass wahoo jigs too...

;)

5. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Jim, try this approach. Start with the Jackpot Weigh In and work backwards. If you get tired at the end and don't have time to fill us in on travel days...

surfgoose likes this.
  6. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Excellent. I'm living vicariously through you so you better do some killin!

Montaukmaniac likes this.
  7. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    Whether my memory is working well or poorly, Steve, it doesn't seem to work like that. The story unfolds in a linear fashion, and if (these days!) I remember it at all, I remember it chronologically. Though obviously with gaps and omissions.

Seriously, I find I still have excellent recall of specific events, and especially my own failures and limitations! But the whole tapestry seems to fade much faster. Hence, I really will try to take notes.

8. Montaukmaniac

Montaukmaniac Thats my son, not me.

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
    You are one fortunate fisherman!

Go CHRONOLOGICALLY!!!

"Rodless" reports are reports are informative, extensive, detailed & best of all humorous.

ENJOY!

(the rest of BD SDLR will eventually live vicariously...)

Tight lines & screaming reels, Jim!

9. The Bushman

The Bushman The Bushman

Name:
    Ken Bush
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    We're glad to have you with us Jim!....

Rodless_Jim likes this.
  10. rdrrm8e

rdrrm8e Fucking Stan

Name:
    chuck
    Boat:
    No

I worry about you when you start speaking of yourself in the 3rd person...!bieber:rolleyes:

capt. kirk likes this.
  11. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    ROFLMAO!

I am the LEAST imperial person you could possibly know, trust me!

12. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Stoked for you, for sure, whether we see the Hemingway style report or not. These trips, the boats, the crews, the places we get to venture to, pure magic, priceless. Chinese curse, "May you live in an interesting time" always seems to work out. Plenty of opportunities and the accompanying challenges. Current trips are troubled by small baits. Hopefully they'll grow a little larger in the next 6-8 weeks. Here we go!

13. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    Lucky guy, have a great trip.

The write-up should be easier this time because now you won't have to recount the three day journey to San Diego and the expeditions through the various tackle shops to pick up that last bag of hooks. ;)

14. fujirose

fujirose Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jim Fujitani
    Boat:
    21' Seaswirl
    Oh that's right, the pre-trip day(s) spent in San Diego will be shortened now. Shorter prologue, hmmmmm.....

15. reelconcerned

reelconcerned Member

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    n/a
    Hey Jim; I am glade you got on a trip, I'll miss you on the Indy in April, catch a lot of fish, and most of all have fun...Paul

16. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    Thanks Brad!

Actually, I am still in Mexico, though my wife is in San Diego. I am just finishing up a consulting contract. I visit frequently, of course, but I haven't had a chance to look for work in California yet. So when I start writing this...if I do...it will once again begin with some variation of "Leaving Mexico is Easy."

LOL

But there are a couple of things that should make that part of the journey much easier. For one thing, I have all of my fishing gear in a storage space close to the airport. In the time I've had it there, I have put a lot of effort into organizing and cataloguing what I've got. Since I always begin my packing with a comprehensive list of what I want to bring, now I just go there and follow my list. Much more efficient!

But there is one thing that REALLY makes life easier: I already know exactly where to get whatever I may need:

- For just about everything, including an immense amount of fishing wisdom, I order from John Nappo of Trophy Tackle

- For certain specialty items...and even more sage advice...I go to Basil Pappas of BHP Tackle

- These days I get just about all of my jigs and lures from Jerry at JRI Custom Lures

- Ken Bush of Ken Bush Custom Rods builds all of my rods for me, and he does an amazing job. He's booked for like the next year, but if you can get him to build you a custom rod, as far as I'm concerned, he's the man.

Thus, long before I set out to pack, I already have what I want. A couple of phone calls, a few clicks, done. For the one or two things that come up the day before, I go see Joey at Squidco. Henry David Thoreau counseled "simplify." That is what I have tried to do.

I'm still going to come into town about three days early. And who knows? By February I may be living in San Diego more or less full time.