dont be fooled by all the big fish report numbers..

mike a.

Aug 16, 2015
chula vista
Name
mike a
Boat
sold it
Been on 7 trips this year 6 out of h and m, one on the new lo ann. 2 out of the 7 were good the rest wanted to go into mexican waters chasing paddies looking for dinky yellowfin. this makes me really mad. just went on a 2.5 day trip on the chief and guess what back down to mexican waters. they wanted no part of looking for or tryng to catch the bigger bluefin in the us waters.. As a person who spends almost a grand to fish who the hell wants to go for small baby yellowfin.. really chapps my ass went looking at bloodydecks and 976 and there are many guys and gals catching fat tuna and these captains wanna go for dinks.. seems like all they want to do is load the boat up with larger numbers so the deckhands can charge 4 to 5 bucks a pop cleaning fish to make a buck.. dont be fooled by the big numbers on these boats do your homework before dropping down cash if the bigger fish is what you want! the bigger the numbers the smaller the fish grade.. pictures don't lye there were folks from out of town looking to get big fish and all we did was catch smalls...

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    I'm not interested in 4# fish either. I don't care to leave home if loading up dinks is the plan, nevermind paying to do it.

If I can bounce it it's a release and look for something better fish imo.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    Well you could get your own boat but then you might have the same problem ive had this summer.Ive only caught the tuna on 1/4 of my trips.Going after the better grade is a risk and if your skipper would have done that and got nothing you would be telling us a different story.

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
    Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
    Name
    Cory Visser
    Boat
    N/A
    A lot of traffic at the Bluefin grounds, and I'm sure not all your fellow anglers agree. Maybe on the second day of the trip, if you load up on the first day.

Upvote 0

I hate seals

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Aug 24, 2004
    SD
    Name
    Bryan Z
    Boat
    36' Hatteras
    Majority of people just want to catch fish. Some of the kelps are holding Dorado to #30 and Yellowfin to #50 below the border.. It's all about getting lucky and having the right attitude. If you want to drive the boat, you need to own it first. Good Luck

Upvote 0

mr.niceguy

Jun 25, 2004
    vista,ca
    Name
    VIRGIL VILLARUEL
    Boat
    2610 PROLINE, MAMA'S BOYS
    i've caught the bigger bluefin, and honestly, i prefer the 30-60 pound class. the big ones kick your ass, specailly when you use the lighter line.

Upvote 0

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
    Jul 2, 2009
    So Cal
    Name
    Sir2you
    Boat
    No Name........
    crying-waterfalls.gif

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    I went on a one day 9-1.....won the jack pot with a seven pound yellow fin that had loins so small when you cut 1 inch thick steaks it was hard to tell which waythey should be put in the hot skillet

Reactions: plj46
    Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    I went on a one day 9-1.....won the jack pot with a seven pound yellow fin that had loins so small when you cut 1 inch thick steaks it was hard to tell which waythey should be put in the hot skillet

Fish taquitos.....
    Or" fillet" on a cracker...

Reactions: Cigarboy
    Upvote 0

clintonstick

Mar 18, 2014
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    g3
    Been on 7 trips this year 6 out of h and m, one on the new lo ann. 2 out of the 7 were good the rest wanted to go into mexican waters chasing paddies looking for dinky yellowfin. this makes me really mad. just went on a 2.5 day trip on the chief and guess what back down to mexican waters. they wanted no part of looking for or tryng to catch the bigger bluefin in the us waters.. As a person who spends almost a grand to fish who the hell wants to go for small baby yellowfin.. really chapps my ass went looking at bloodydecks and 976 and there are many guys and gals catching fat tuna and these captains wanna go for dinks.. seems like all they want to do is load the boat up with larger numbers so the deckhands can charge 4 to 5 bucks a pop cleaning fish to make a buck.. dont be fooled by the big numbers on these boats do your homework before dropping down cash if the bigger fish is what you want! the bigger the numbers the smaller the fish grade.. pictures don't lye there were folks from out of town looking to get big fish and all we did was catch smalls...
    I agree bullshit if a 2.5 day have to look for bf at least one day .I fished the chief this year wont fish it again.I fished pac star 2 overnights in a row thursdayfished west for bf and yf,i got 6yf all 25-45lb.Captain said friday would be too much boat traffic,went south paddy hunting,nice change got some nice dorado and alot of dink skips and yf and yt.I like those big yf the best can keep more than 2. I am coming back in a coulple weeks hope we fish in ca.

Upvote 0

fishfish

Jun 21, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    Sold and Gone!!!
    Hey Mike
    Sorry for some bad trips you may have had. If you guys would have just found that one paddy down south holding perhaps 15-30lbers then I'm sure things would've turned out lots better. These Captains truly love finding better sized fish and they do look hard but just cant always find 'em. And as I am sure you know bluefin are always a hit or miss. Also keep in mind that on a middle-of-the-road boat such as the Chief , they will attract a lesser experienced angler demographic that will be happy with just some catch vs no catch at all. Talking to their staff or lookin at their recent trip history might also give you a better idea on their targeted area for their next trip. BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME BUDDY!!!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Headshot

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 21, 2004
    Lake Forest, CA.
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    05' 2601 SeaSwirl Striper
    You should have looked into the Long Beach Sporties, a few of their charter boats have been going after those big Bluefin tuna and Yellowfin Tuna and going as far as SCI in search of the big tuna! That's fishing on charter boats for ya, you're kind of at their mercy as to where you fish!
    The SST's are showing the warm water up here off of our coastline, wonder why they wouldnt want to stay up here and put their customers on fish?

Upvote 0

Andrewxxx

Aug 25, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Andrew
    Boat
    1985--18.5 Holiday Center Console
    Mike

Some of these boats are called limited load and specifically chase the bigger fish (when they're available). You have to do your homework before booking your trip. You just can’t book a 2.5 day trip and expect them to load the boat with 80 to 120 lb. Bluefin and Opah.

The captain has to make a business decision and that is, do I want to catch fish and make everyone happy or do I want to chase the bigger grade fish and possibly get skunked. These guys all use the latest technology to find fish on that specific day. Sometimes they get a bad batch of bait and most of it dies. Sometimes they go 9 miles out and run into a wide open bite that changes their whole day. Try and think about all the factors. Remember they are running a business and that business is putting fish on board. Thinking they are just looking for quantity so their deck hands can make tips is a little far fetched. Fishing is all about having fun. Having a positive attitude will help you catch fish. I would change your way of thinking and do more research before booking your next trip.
    BTW Don't just look in San Diego.

I also recommend using proper punctuation in your post, so people can read it.

Good luck on your next fishing trip, were all looking for the same thing.

Just wondering if you told the captain he did a shitty job before you left the boat! LOL

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

awasaro1

fish-on
    Jul 30, 2015
    chula vista
    Name
    nino
    Boat
    sold it
    I was on that same trip on the chief ... @ 720.00 bucks for one person cant call that a middle of the road boat ... when the captain says we are going south the first day then SCI the second day he should do what he said he was going to do after catching limits on the first day ... yes this is where u "complain" about SHIT like this so other anglers can be warned ahead of time ... I have my own boat but I can't go as far or stay overnite out on the water that's why I do the cattle boat trips ... also living 20 min from the SD landings makes it easy to go from here ... I to would like to go for fish bigger then 5-10 lbs ...

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    [QUOTE="Andrewxxx, post: 3902464, member: 177139

I also recommend using proper punctuation in your post, so people can read it.

[/QUOTE]

yeah we'll get right on that

Upvote 0

ironman

Jun 15, 2003
    Cardiff, CA.
    Visit site
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    PT 175 Tracker
    My buddy was on a very limited load charter on the Pacific Dawn yesterday. These guys are good fishermen and charter the boat many times a year. my buddy was afriad they would go south. I told him
    " no way Pat goes down there with your group".....they fished clemente for a very decent day on nice BFT and a handfull of YFT ...my buddy had 6 @ 30-45 kept his 2!

I think they should have a dedicated open party trips that designate there going to bluefin grounds. Then you can choose. Im sure they would have no problem filling boats going in both directions...something different for everybody. Nobody would bitch if the BFT deal didnt work out even if the " southies" killed the babies.

Lets face it hit paddy , one hour of WFO rat YFT some rat yellows and a few stand out do do's, day over.Some people like that...just not for me.

Reactions: vegasandre
    Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
    Mar 20, 2008
    Carmel, CA
    Name
    john
    Boat
    not crazy enough yet
    WTF will people cry about next?

"Fishing was so good it sucked we had limits first day! Fucking Captain should have only picked the school of 25-30lbers cause they fit in my cooler better! Threw the 45lbers back! Too much work to cut them and my knife was dull from all the fish I have to clean! And to top it all off the bastards didn't have my favorite scent in the head when I want to freshen up my Vag....:( :( :("

Possibly the best season in 30 years and people complain smh.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

titos334

VIP Elite Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Hell
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    Rainbow Surprise
    " yes this is where u "complain" about SHIT like this so other anglers can be warned ahead of time ... I have my own boat but I can't go as far or stay overnite out on the water that's why I do the cattle boat trips ... also living 20 min from the SD landings makes it easy to go from here ... I to would like to go for fish bigger then 5-10 lbs ...

Damn, I feel really sorry you. If only you had a boat you could go out and do specifically what you want and all your problems would disappear!

Upvote 0