Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    The picture posted above shows the fisherperson using the rail, the 15 sec. crew member with the rod really did not need to be said.

Was Tunanorth and Mike on the trip?

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    The picture posted above shows the fisherperson using the rail, the 15 sec. crew member with the rod really did not need to be said.

Was Tunanorth and Mike on the trip?

I got the information directly from her husband, prior to the photo being posted.

Upvote 0

ReelDealAngler-

Born To Fish
    Jul 27, 2017
    Dana Point
    Name
    Garry
    Boat
    Reel Estate
    Michael,

Not sure what Tunanorth posted that set you off. He is a well respected contributor on this forum and his original comments simply provided some detail. I believe the comments on IGFA rules were simply a reminder that most everyone on a LR trip that fishes the rail has little if any change of holding an IGFA record due to the silly rules they have established. He also notes that it is truly a record regardless of the rules.
    Michael,

Trust me you will NOT find a more knowledgeable person when it comes to west coast sport fishing and it's history here on BD than Steve Carson (TunaNorth)... he is so honest, diplomatic and politically correct its ridiculous... simply the total opposite of a "dick" so you obviously don't know him and your ugly comments are totally off base. He is the Penn Ambassador for the west coast and with that comes a bias, but he is a straight shooter and NEVER sugar coats anything or bad mouths anything, even if he knows its not good or is inferior. He was just explaining the IGFA rules which often get brought up when you discuss fishing records as they actually have "recorded" fishing records that are based on their rules whether YOU like them or not. I like many others don't feel their rules apply to Long Range fishing very well, so I personally don't care if the YFT, BFT or YT I catch or anybody else does on an LR fishing boat is an IGFA record. The IGFA record was more important in the early years of LR fishing and IMO it has become less important as more and more have figured out the IGFA rules are simply NOT a good fit for OUR venue (Long Range fishing).

So back off on Steve and get real with what has happened here, understand that there are different ways of looking at a "record" when it comes to Sport Fishing and a larger than normal gamefish being caught.

Congrats to the female angler who caught that YT of a lifetime! (Guadalupe is truly an awesome place where records happen).

G

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
    Oct 20, 2008
    San Marcos
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    Sportboat
    She was on her honeymoon. She was going to go goose hunting but decided they should go long range.

She also landed a 170 but it was a handoff so didn't count for the jackpot.
    Pretty damn cool all around.

Supposedly her husband taught her how to fish long range. But I've only ever seen him catch rat yellowtail so sounds dubious. Lol. Hope he reads this.
    I read it. Whos this lol

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
    Oct 20, 2008
    San Marcos
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    Sportboat
    UC CE700xxh, 50 lb izor backed by 80lb spectra, tac12II, 3/0 ringed Mutu, shoulder hooked sardine
    IMG_8512.JPG

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
    Oct 20, 2008
    San Marcos
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    Sportboat
    Her husband fished very well on the trip as well, I can confirm he caught more than rat yellows on this trip for sure.
    Every person on the boat had at least 1 YFT over 100lbs.

I don't know for sure what lb test she was using, but for the flyline baits we were all using between 40 & 60 lb for the yellowtail. For the the tuna, we used larger line.
    Rex, pleasure fishing with you.

Reactions: Darrell
    Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
    Oct 20, 2008
    San Marcos
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    Sportboat
    What a fish!
    Would be interesting to read the genetics of this fish,,hope a Scientist got tissue samples.

-JohnC.
    A biologist grabbed the head from Fishermans processing. Will post details in a few weeks when Kristyn gets it.

Reactions: fishe
    Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
    Oct 20, 2008
    San Marcos
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    Sportboat
    Rex she wasn't fishing the slider rig on this day. That was a day or two later when she started stroking them on that

Upvote 0

StillinScrubs

Wahoo love me
    Aug 30, 2005
    Ft. Lauderdale/Miami
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Charon's skiff
    For the record I've always told Kristyn that if I caught a 50 pound yellow it was going on the wall. My biggest is 44. She beat me to it. Made a call this morning. Will be a nice wedding gift to ourselves

So cool. Be sure to post a nonreport (joke from another thead) picture of the mount on the long range forum when you get it.

Reactions: sitonmyface
    Upvote 0

fujirose

Jan 17, 2009
    Roseville, CA
    Name
    Jim Fujitani
    Boat
    21' Seaswirl
    She got some nice fish!!

That YT reminds me of that 92 pounder caught on the Shogun on the Guadalupe trip before ours, back in '04, '05, or so. I managed to get a pic of it before it went into the ice at Fisherman's Landing.

Upvote 0

bkaz

Pharmfisher
    Jul 30, 2015
    Novato, CA
    Name
    BKAZ
    Boat
    None
    Was there when she got caught it. Great fisherwoman as well as her husband. It was a pleasure to fish with them both.

Upvote 0

ReelDealAngler-

Born To Fish
    Jul 27, 2017
    Dana Point
    Name
    Garry
    Boat
    Reel Estate
    Where else are you going to catch an 80lb YT and a 140 YFT on a 6-8 day LR Trip... got to love Guadalupe! I'm sure the other boats that don't have permits for the Lupe are wishing that they did. Still believe there will be a cow YFT caught there this year on an SD based LR boat... Oct, Nov, Dec are traditionally the best months at this spectacular LR destination so we shall see...

Tight lines and blue skies!

G

Upvote 0

bkaz

Pharmfisher
    Jul 30, 2015
    Novato, CA
    Name
    BKAZ
    Boat
    None
    Where else are you going to catch an 80lb YT and a 140 YFT on a 6-8 day LR Trip... got to love Guadalupe! I'm sure the other boats that don't have permits for the Lupe are wishing that they did. Still believe there will be a cow YFT caught there this year on an SD based LR boat... Oct, Nov, Dec are traditionally the best months at this spectacular LR destination so we shall see...

Tight lines and blue skies!

G
    Saw an absolutely huge foamer out there and Captain Ray said there were definitely cows in the mix. Unfortunately couldn't get too close to them.

Reactions: ReelDealAngler-
    Upvote 0

ReelDealAngler-

Born To Fish
    Jul 27, 2017
    Dana Point
    Name
    Garry
    Boat
    Reel Estate
    Saw an absolutely huge foamer out there and Captain Ray said there were definitely cows in the mix. Unfortunately couldn't get too close to them.

Most likely a jig thrown far on a heavy stick or the kite is what will hook that Guadalupe cow YFT. I have had some larger macks that I threw way out from the boat that actually did not swim back to the boat (as they often do) and have had a few macks that were out there in kite territory via the fly line... but NO takers so far... maybe some luck will come my way in Nov and Dec. Bucket list for me is a cow YFT on the large surface iron or plug.;)

G

Reactions: bkaz
    Upvote 0

ReelDealAngler-

Born To Fish
    Jul 27, 2017
    Dana Point
    Name
    Garry
    Boat
    Reel Estate
    They got 2 on poppers, but no cows.

That was an awesome Lupe trip for sure!... hopefully that young lady who scored so well doesn't think that was an everyday type of bite or LR trip for that matter... as many anglers have spent a lot of years fishing LR and have never done what she did on that Lupe trip.

Biggest YFT I've seen on the popper was 158lb taken at the Lupe. IMO, big surface iron or skip jig is usually a better option for a larger grade YFT... never know though as it's more of a reactionary strike (younger cows closer to 200 are more aggressive and will chase down an individual bait, once they get beyond 250lbs they seem to want to lay back and suck up the left overs or go for the easier, slower moving targets... why the kite works so well IMO... you have two sardines or macks far out from the boat splashing right next to each other (lots of commotion), but they are not moving as the kite is keeping them in place on that 7-10 foot leader that is mostly out of the water. All you can do it try to replicate the splash (commotion) with an artificial and hope they take note and hone in, then hope they are willing to expend the energy to attack it.

G

Reactions: bkaz
    Upvote 0

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
    Vernon, Texas, USA
    Name
    Alben Lee
    Boat
    Excel
    Shit far what a fish. That dam things a monster! Congrats to the lady big time. Her hubby stated they're going to have it mounted. He's going to have to brace up the wall to hang that big bastard on. Tex.

Upvote 0